“Strangers walking into room, Phantom Charges, & Rude Staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   250 N Main St, Memphis, TN 38103 (Formerly Memphis Marriott Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #50 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Memphis, Tennessee
“Strangers walking into room, Phantom Charges, & Rude Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We picked this hotel because of the location and price...big mistake. We should have paid a little more to stay at one of the other hotels downtown. Our checkin experience was our first clue. We were treated as if it was a bother for us to have arrived and check in. The staff was very rude. We then got to our room and we were changing when another guest walked into our room and argued with us that we were in their room. When we checked with the front desk they laughed and were unapologetic saying "it happens."

A few weeks after our stay they charged our card for parking ($25). We called and said that we did not use parking. They said there is no free parking. We had to argue with them to get our money back for the valet parking we did not use.

If you stay here, prepare to be disappointed, treated badly, nickeled and dimmed, and have to argue to about services you did not use. Pay a little extra and avoid the headache.

Room Tip: Avoid and go to another hotel
Green Features: There is nothing I saw that was environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Mountain View, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I was here for five days, secluded with a NASA group doing proposal reviews (a place far away from the institutions writing proposals). The first floor is a construction zone, there was a strong headache-inducing smell of solvents and glue, noise during the day, dust coming up. The South Tower elevators don't go all the way down anymore, they stop at the 2nd floor. Many of the upper floors are gutted and full of debris. Parking is valet only. Onsite eating options are almost nonexistent and even room service was from a reduced "during enhancements" menu. Area near hotel is mostly vacant lots, nowhere else to find food.

I stayed in a 6th floor newly-renovated room. The refrigerator in the credenza under the TV was missing, I had to ask maintenance for one. And weirdly, there is no power outlet behind the credenza, the TV itself was on an extension cord. You'd think you'd take care of that kind of detail in an expensive renovation. There were no towel racks in the bathroom either, towels had to be stacked on the countertops. Weird.

Finally, the housekeeping service was poor. On my first two days, each time I had to call and request daily service when at 3pm it hadn't been done... I got excuses from the front desk. On the third day I was away all afternoon, forgot to call to remind housekeeping, and consequently my room was untouched from that morning. Guest services apologized again and sent up some fresh towels. On the 4th day, they actually cleaned the room without my calling. But they missed a piece of paper on the floor next to the bed, it seemed rushed. So my guess is they have cut back on staffing and the remaining housekeeping staff are stretched too thin.

The standards overall were less than that of a mom-and-pop motel. Fumes and dust and barricaded entrances didn't help. I would not recommend staying here until sometime after their "enhancements" are finished and the service issues worked out.

Room Tip: Be sure to call housekeeping daily, if you want your room cleaned that day.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Naperville, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Time, weather, and wear and tear are all working against this hotel. Some current evidence of room and hallway refreshing. Most of main floor lobby currently closed off for renovation which means fewer amenities than normal.

Close to convention center and not much anything else. Neighborhood is getting a bit sketchy. I wouldn't be on foot after dark. Valet only car parking at $22 per night extra plus tip is a major rip-off. Parking should be free to thank guests for putting up with the inconvenience of renovations.

I'd pass on this hotel for the time being and wait for all of the renovations to be completed. Maybe it will be restored to full Sheraton standards or maybe it will just be lipstick on a pig. Time will tell.

Batesville, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If you need to stay downtown then this is a fairly good place. The massive renovation going on is a minor inconvenience as they seem to be doing as good a job possible to isolate the work areas from interfering with our enjoyment...with one exception. Don't even think about eating here. The breakfast area is simply a failure. With high taxes and parking fees added, the value is simply not here. The staff was wonderful and everyone seemed to be enthusiastic about their job. The room was very nice but the bed was quite hard for my fussy back.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Want to see how the construction renovations turn out. We we were there over Labor Day. Rooms were brand new. Staff excellent while working in temp. quarters. No restaurant on site it is part of the reno.

• Stayed September 2014
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello Spunky617,

So glad to hear you are coming back to the Sheraton Memphis! Wait until you see our new restaurant and bar - it will be the BEST in downtown Memphis! And our Executive Chef is creating a new menu and I have to tell you, we've already done some menu tasting and it's going to be incredible. Thanks for staying with us over the renovation and for recognizing our team for delivering excellent service! We certainly appreciate the feedback and look forward to having you back at the hotel soon.
Cheers,
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I have been staying at this hotel for over 7 months every week and normally have a very good experience, but the construction has taken it's toll this week. I know the renovations will be worth it, because the new rooms are great, but there is just too much torn up at one time. The registration is on 2nd floor which is difficult with luggage and now the restaurant, bar, and platinum lounge are all in a meeting room. The restaurant staff appears to be very unhappy and seems to take it out on the customers. You have a coupon for the platinum food and they literally held the plates hostage until the coupon was presented to them even after they were told you had a coupon, made me feel like they thought I was a dishonest person. Management did try to contact me about this, but of course the message on the phone was not working! Susan from maintenance did come and fix that for me and was very kind as she always is, but it was too late to contact Matt. The next evening they had made changes so they really are trying to make it the best they can during this time, but there is just too much construction at one time. Hopefully by the end of the month things will be back to normal.

Dear Debbie W,
My sincere apologies to you for the inconveniences you have experienced during the renovations. We have really tried to make our guests as comfortable as possible during this transition. The only good thing about renovation is the end result. And our end result is going to be fabulous. Hopefully you will come back and stay with us once the renovations are completed. I know you will love all the upgrades we are making. Thanks so much for your review as it helps us identify areas in the hotel that need improvement.
Kind Regards,
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Arrived at the hotel greeted by valet drivers which was very friendly; although we did not use the service, my experience started when I entered the lobby while renovation was on going. Upon approaching the front desk I was greeted by three front desk agents that welcomed me to Sheraton Memphis. Bernard check me in and he was AWESOME, he provided SUPERB guest service.

My room was on the 15th floor with nice views. After reading some of the other reviews; guest was saying they had a renovated room (I was jealous), -WOW! that was nice to read. Unfortunately the carpet in room was dirty as you entered the room (foyer). The bed was clean and comfortable, the bathroom was also clean. I did not use the pool or Bar so I can give a review on those. Will I stay there again? Yes, the customer service itself is worth coming back to.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Dear WinADApooh,
I certainly appreciate the positive feedback from you! Thanks so much for recognizing Bernard for providing excellent service to you. I will be sure to put this review on our next daily hotel newsletter for everyone in the hotel to read! Next time you come, I guarantee you will receive a renovated room because we are almost done! There are no more "old" rooms to check our guests into! Thanks for staying with us and I look forward to having you back at the Sheraton Memphis in the future.
Best,
Dan

Been to Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!