“Even better than we expected” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   250 N Main St, Memphis, TN 38103 (Formerly Memphis Marriott Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #49 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Cleveland, Mississippi
“Even better than we expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Due to it being our honeymoon, we were given a free upgrade to the club level which had some pretty awesome benefits. The au d'oeuvres they had every night were great and ranged from spring rolls and cheese sticks to bbq chicken and potato wedges.

The room was extremely clean and 99% of the staff was super friendly. The only 1% wasn't rude at all, just didn't go out of their way to make sure everything was amazing like everyone else. The lady who was in charge of the Club Lounge even offered my new wife and I complementary chocolate dipped strawberries as a honeymoon treat.

The room was a very nice size with an extremely comfortable king size bed. The room was also immaculately clean.

The only problem we had the entire time was our air conditioner went out our first night. We called the front desk and within 5 minutes, a maintenance lady was upstairs and had it fixed in less time than it took her to get up there.

While I've already touched on it, I can't overstate the friendliness of the staff. Check in and check out were a breeze. My wife and I booked the stay with hotwire but we will most likely go straight through the hotel next time as it would be more than worth the money.

The only thing we disliked was parking. The hotel's only option was $22 valet parking. We used a lot for $5 per park across the street and metered parking on the side.

Room Tip: The club level rooms are worth the extra money for the extra amenities.
Green Features: We loved the environmentally-friendly options. While we're not environment nuts, every day that you skipped having your room cleaned, you received a $5 voucher to be used in the hotel restaurants and gift shop.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Gabby,

Happy Anniversary and thank you for celebrating it with all of us at the Sheraton Memphis Downtown! We have a great staff here that do their best everyday to make a memorable experience for our guests! Unfortunately there is always a few in the crowd that can spoil it for the rest of the team but you can bet those employees don't last long! I loved reading your review and can't wait to share it with the rest of the team. Come back and see us soon! Oh....and Betty in the Club Lounge....our guests just LOVE her! I'm so happy she got you those chocolate covered strawberries.
All My Best,
Dan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
QLD Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Checked in late one evening, at 2:30am was awoken by a drunk man trying to gain entry to our room then tried to sleep outside door after he couldnt get in. I had to call reception and ask him to be removed or helped to his own room. Spent next day exploring Memphis only to return at 3:30pm to find room still not cleaned. Had to call room services and request cleaning. The next morning after checking out my wife found bites over her leg, shoulder and face. Not sure if it was bed bugs, fleas, ticks or some other type of insect but it was very disgusting. The night before I actually found a small bug on the sheets and killed it but not before his mates dined on my wife. Today I found what looked like a small tick on my sons head (could well be from the same infested room). Not impressed from a Sheraton hotel!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear QLDMum2Boys,

This is terrible and not acceptable at all by our standards. I need you to contact me via email since you are in Australlia and provide me with some more information so I can inspect the room you stayed in. We have a very good exterminating program with Ecolab and if there is a problem I need to get this fixed ASAP. Thanks for letting me know. My email is dputnam@sheratonmemphisdowntown.com
I'm so sorry this happened to you and want to make it right.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This hotel is the worst Sheraton that we have stayed in. Our room was not clean or cleaned properly on a daily basis, no safe in our room and the bathroom was badly in need of an upgrade. Every time we ordered a drink in the bar we were asked to show our ID even though we are both above 60 years of age. We were told that this was the policy of the hotel irrespective of how old we looked. I am in favour ID checks, but I think that the hotel management should rethink their policy to their guests.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Alan W.

I was very disappointed to read that you did not have a great experience with us. I am so sorry we failed you. Please call me to discuss. I look forward to hearing from you!

901-214-3717
Kurrajong NSW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

We had a good size room on 10th Floor. Plenty of space, clean and comfy beds.....typical Sheraton / Starwood quality....but that is all that is Sheraton about this place. Air conditioning was not operating properly .....rooms very hot & uncomfortable. Bar staff were rude and unfriendly. For the 1st time in my 60 yrs, I had to produce ID before I was served a glass of wine because I was told " it was the law".....no such request from any other Bar in Memphis. Dining menu was very limited & basic. Given Hotel is some 9 blocks from Beale St eaterys.....a better dining option is to be expected at a Sheraton / Starwood Hotel. There are better Hotel options in Memphis than this one

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rob E.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We strive to be the best at what we do everyday. I'm sorry you were inconvenienced by having to show an ID for an alcoholic beverage. Our Corporate office enforces this policy and we must follow the rules. I will however, be speaking with the bar staff as it is unacceptable for anyone on our team to be rude to our guests. For this, I am so sorry! I appreciate your feedback. Have a great day.
illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I booked three rooms for a group to attend the St. Jude Classic golf tourney which we have done for several years. We waited a little bit to long and many of the downtown hotels were sold out. I found this hotel on trip advisor and we decided to give it a try. The hotel is a little run down which really didn't matter since we weren't going to be there much. The A/C basically didn't work in two of the rooms. The main complaint was the staff. The bartender in the lounge might have been the rudest individual I ever had the displeasure of meeting. We had one drink and left. Another couple who had been sitting at the bar said he had treated them the same way. The next day we complained to the manager about the A/C and bartender and he politely said "Sorry". I'm sorry to... I will be going back to the Hampton or Peabody!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kreck,

I'm very disappointed to read that you had a bad experience in our bar and troubles with the AC. Please know that we stand ready to take care of any issues while here on property. Please call me so I can get some more information about your stay. My sincere apologies!
901-214-3717
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed here with the idea of being able to walk into downtown. It was a perfect location for it. Just a few blocks from everything.

The hotel itself was very nice. There is only valet parking so be prepared for that.

Everyone there with one exception went out of their way to be helpful and very nice. The one exception was Charles in their bar area. Maybe he was having a bad night but, I could have done without him. He was rude and very curt from the get go. We ordered a pizza at 11pm. I realize that was late and expected it to take a while. After 30 minutes I asked if he would go check on the status. He seemed upset, not the first word I would choose but I'll keep it watered down for the site. He came back and said it would be a while longer. After an exchange of words I told him to keep the pizza and give me my check.

Even with that isolated instance I would still recommend this property as someplace to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear PredFan310 -

Nothing worse than having a grumpy bartender to deal with. My sincere apologies for the way you were treated by Charles. That is not acceptable and I will be sharing this review with him so that he does not treat another guest the way he treated you. We are here because of people like yourself who book hotel rooms with us. Without our guests we have no job! I'm glad to know that you will come back again! Hopefully you will have a great experience in our lounge next time! Thanks so much for this feedback as it helps me identify areas in the hotel that need improvement.
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I booked this hotel through hotwire.com, which most people know you do not learn the name of the hotel until after you book. I was unaware that the Marriott downtown had been purchased by the Sheraton so I was a bit surprised when I saw the name of the hotel. I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, but I prefer to form my own opinions. I actually work in the hotel industry and I understand the problems that accompany a transitioning hotel. First I'll go through the good. The hotel is in a good location if you don't want to be right in the thick of all the traffic and noise of downtown. The trolley stops right outside the doors and for $1.00 you can ride one way or for $3.50 you can purchase a day pass. The rooms are spacious enough and well lit. My only complaint is that the ceiling in the bathroom was extremely low so if you're over 6' this may be an issue. I had a great view of downtown, the river, and the bridge from my room. The front desk was very accommodating and allowed me to have a room with double beds. I also needed a wine opener and that need was met quickly as well. I did not experience any issues with the valet on arrival or departure. Everyone was very nice and professional. The complimentary internet is free and fast. The negatives I noticed were stains on the carpet and the wall paper was peeling. Overall this is a nice place and considering the fact that they're about to undergo a major renovation I would definitely consider staying here in the future. Just a tip for the party goers the trolley stops running at 11:30pm and a taxi from Beale Street back to the hotel cost my group of 4 $9.50.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
I love the title of your review! Yes...we are on the RISE! We have been working hard all year making this the best hotel in Memphis. And now...in approximately two weeks we are going through a major renovation - all 600 rooms and all the public space. It will be magnificant when it is done. I'm glad that "hotwire" picked you to be our guest and I appreciate your honesty about your experience at the hotel. Thanks for staying with us and be sure to come back and see the new place in about 3 months!
Cheers,
Dan

Been to Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!