“Just ok, but convenient” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   250 N Main St, Memphis, TN 38103 (Formerly Memphis Marriott Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #49 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Thomasville, Georgia, Usa
“Just ok, but convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Three people in our party but we were given only 2 towels, 2 coffee packets and one shampoo.
A very pleasant housekeeper gave us extra coffee or we would have had to purchase at Starbucks in the lobby ( $3.25 a pack), per the hotel literature.
No fan in the bathroom so it was always steamy after showers.
In room movies were priced at between $4.99 and $17.99.

On the plus side, the hotel is on the trolley line and connected by skybridge to the Convention Center.
Room was clean and bed was comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Greetings Beachbum.....
Now that's a great "handle"....I wanna be a beachbum too! But work keeps me away from the water. I'm glad you mentioned that the Starbucks coffee was $3.25 because that is not correct....it should be .75 cents a packet. Sorry for the confusion on that! Also, we do set-up our rooms to Sheraton Standards and sometimes there is just not enough supplies if there are 4 people in the room. We are always standing by to bring more items upon request. So, when you come back....please know that we are here for you! Thanks so much for the review...now...get back to the beach and enjoy the day!
Dan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Perrysburg, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton overnight on a Saturday night. The front desk was friendly and the lady at reception was very helpful. Our room was very nice and the bed was very comfortable. As others have mentioned we didn't like paying the $22 for valet parking overnight, but paying for parking seems to be the norm in Memphis.

Overall a good experience, except for the parking issue.

Room Tip: The trolley outside makes some noise, if you go to be early you might want to ask for a room opposit...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rob528,
I do understand about parking....I don't like to pay for parking either...but sometimes I have no choice. It is the standard here in downtown Memphis. At least it's covered parking and pretty darn secure! I'm glad you enjoyed the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed! It is a win win for the Sheraton brand! Love the beds. Thanks for staying with us.....I hope you come back again.....and again....and again! We appreciate you!
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed two nights on a family trip and thought the value for the price was well in range of my expectations. The front desk staff, Dominique in particular, had a cheerful disposition and informative manner at the same time. Our room was spacious and passed the spousal clean test, no small thing. The members' lounge was fairly spacious and the evening and breakfast offerings were beyond many Sheraton lounges, and that has to count for something. All in all, a nice hotel that offered cleanliness, convenience, quiet, and a great fitness center, the things I needed. Given that it's in the middle of downtown, I also appreciated the available (not hotel) parking across the street for only $5.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hello Fancode....
Dominique gets a "happy face" sticker next to her name on our "Deliver the Experience" recognition board! We just became a Sheraton last August and are still working hard every day to be the best in Memphis. So glad to read that you had a wonderful stay with us! So, I assume you will be back at the Sheraton next time your in Memphis right? Good! See you then. Have a great day!!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in early April. It was very easy to drive to if you are coming by car. The hotel address is listed as on Main St., but the lobby and valet parking are actually on the next street to the east (2nd St?) so our car GPS took us to the wrong door but we just circled around. The parking was not included at $22 for all day valet parking and the service was prompt and friendly but we could anticipate that it might be a problem at busy times. Check in was quick, cheerful and helpful. We were given a room on the 14th floor with an impressive view of the Mississippi, the bridge and highway to Arkansas, and Mud Island.

The room was your standard Sheraton, with an excellent bed and the usual finishings. 2 things were noticeable which we never experienced before, a light in the bathtub shower, and a recycling bin. We needed towel hooks in the bathroom. We didn't have breakfast or any meals nor did we use any other hotel services. For this reason, we cannot comment on other observations from other reviewers. We got a dependable room and 2 good nights' sleep. This was exactly what we expected at this hotel.

During our stay, we had time to visit Graceland, Sun Studios, the civil rights museum at the Lorraine Motel which was partially closed for renovations, Beale St, and the Rock and Soul Museum which was a personal highlight. Check out the Memphis Tourist Offices where you can purchase all your entrance tickets at a discount. Gus's Fried Chicken was great. Memphis wasn't very busy when we were there, and we had no problem finding street parking.

Room Tip: A higher west facing room will give you a great view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings Murry S - thanks so much for your detailed review of your experience in Memphis! Sounds like you got all the good stuff done while you were here! And Gus' chicken is the BEST! Thanks for your note on the GPS! I have reached out to our Field Marketing Office to see if they can fix this so that the directions bring you to our entrance on 2nd street! I didn't realize that was happening but I guess it makes sense since our address is on Main Street! I appreciate that feedback. I'm glad you stayed with us and if you are ever back in Memphis...I hope you stay with us again! Have a great day!
Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

OK, exactly what would expect from a twenty-year-old property connected by a skybridge to the convention center? If you have been to a few of these – or a few dozen – you can picture it. That is the Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel. It is clean, efficient, and friendly enough – maybe a little dated. Plain white bread.

If you have business at the convention center, well, you’re connected! Several of our meetings were in Sheraton conference rooms, and catered lunches were superior. If you want to catch the Main Street trolly, there is a stop right outside the front door. There are always a couple horse-drawn carriages parked out there, too. It is true that the immediate neighborhood offers few dining choices. The Sheraton is located on the north end of downtown. Walk ten minutes south on Main Street and you will start to see many choices. Just a bit farther are Beale Street and a collection of barbecue joints. We found it quicker to walk south than wait on the trolley.

The rooms in the Sheraton are fine. Beds are nice; Internet is free; in-room coffee is always appreciated. The carpet looked dated. The bathroom featured a shower/tub and a long, elegant granite counter.

I did not eat @ the Sheraton restaurant, but I ducked into the lobby bar for one beer. I am not sure I have seen such a plain, featureless bar in a convention hotel. I will, however, commend a manager who jumped in to help with the afternoon rush.

This is a no-surprise, no disappointment property.

Room Tip: My room included a balcony that overlooked the lobby atrium, and I would avoid such a room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Jim83,

We are very pleased that you had a great stay with us. We are the largest hotel in Memphis and do alot of conventions here. Our attendees love the fact that they can take the skybridge over to the convention center...especially on those rainy days! Good news is that we are doing a full renovation starting in June and the bar and restaurant will totally change the vibe of the hotel We just finished our pool and fitness center which our guests have been very pleased with. If you ever come back to Memphis we hope you will stay with us. I think you will really like the changes that will be made! Thanks so much for the review.....we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed for two nights on a business trip. It is a nice hotel but they didn't clean my room the second day. I complained to the front desk the next day morning when I was checking out, they were going to "looking in to it." I had enough clean towels and second clean bed, so I used them the second night. Fitness center was very clean and well equipped. Pool was under renovation, didn't matter to me anyway.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Greetings Surangah,
I was disappointed to read that you did not receive Housekeeping services on the second day you were here. That is not acceptable. We strive to provide excellent service to every guest and I'm so sorry we did not deliver that to you. I would truly appreciate you contacting me either by phone 901-214-3717 or email at dputnam@sheratonmemphisdowntown.com so that I can personally research this and find out what Room Attendant failed to service your room. The feedback we receive from our guests is a valuable tool to use in training our associates to reduce these kinds of complaints. Thank you so much for your feedback----truly appreciated.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

After reading all the reviews about the Sheraton, I felt I had to comment, in my opinion the Sheraton was modern, clean, rooms great with wonderful comfy beds, large bathroom, coffee making facilities. I honestly can't fault it, maybe it's because I come from England and my expectations arnt as high as Americans or I stayed in a different hotel !! I really disagree about needing updating, in fact it was the best hotel we stayed in while touring America recently ! The trolley bus stopped right outside and only cost a dollar ( I believe, as can't quite remember ) and took you to Beal Street or anywhere else !! I loved Memphis and didn't want to leave, and hopefully will return and would definitely stay at the Sheraton again !

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kazzyh,

Your review made my day and the rest of the team here at the Sheraton Memphis. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge the staff for their southern hospitality and friendliness. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the Trolley that stops right outside the hotel and the great thing about that trolley is it's only one dollar each way! I love it! So glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to providing you with great service and accommodations on your next trip to Memphis!
Dan

Been to Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!