“No, no, no, no....Unless you like hearing Train Horns blowing at 4am” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Memphis-Poplar

Save 10% your next stay
Ranked #21 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“No, no, no, no....Unless you like hearing Train Horns blowing at 4am”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The room was clean, customer service was great, and the location was great. Close to everything on Poplar Ave. Car Wash, restaurants, mall, GiGi's Cupcake (pecan pie cupcake) great! The only Major Problem I had was the sound of those darn trains starting at 4:23 am and at least 5 times I heard them until about 8am. I had no sleep. The walls in the hotel are paper thin. You hear EVERYTHING in the hallways and next door.

If you are a light sleeper do no stay at this location. Look at a satellite pic of the area and u will see how close they are to the RR Crossing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HamptonMemphis, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis-Poplar, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for submitting a review for our property. I was very happy you were impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel and service you received from the staff. I am very sorry about the train noise. While the large majority of the thousands of guests that stay us each month don't notice it, we understand that light sleepers can find it quite annoying. If you have another opportunity to stay with us in future, please feel free to request a room on the back side of the hotel at check-in or on the comments section when making your reservations.

Here's to a great summer for you and your family,

Matt Haley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Are about the only two criticisms I can make of the Hotel. The people are great and the location good for getting around Memphis.

But the wife was not pleased with the lack of drawers and space to put all her makeup, etc.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HamptonMemphis, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis-Poplar, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you & wife enjoyed the staff and the location. It really is easy to get to the suburbs, downtown, or the airport within 15 minutes from the property. Have a great summer!
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hotel was clean , well kept, new. Staff was wonderful.

I have onyl one complaint and I can't believe I have to complain about this in 2013. When I travel to a hotel I never travel with nothing in my hands. I carry a suit case and/or computer bag. WHY does this hotel have a door handle? Why do I have to put my badgs aside to open the door when 90% of all hotels have action automated autmatic door openers.
Why?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the property. I hope you enjoyed your time in Memphis. We look forward to seeing you again!
wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Called ahead to confirm accessible bed for our wheelchair lift. Desk clerk confirmed it met our needs. Very good staff and accomodations. Room small but adequate. Standard breakfast fare. Other reviews warned of train sounds and ?questionable neighborhood. We found the train noise nonexistent in our room and neighborhood quite good and varied(business mostly).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HamptonMemphis, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis-Poplar, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your review for our property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we were able to meet your needs. Also, thank you for comment about the area. I am always a little perplexed as to how this part of East Memphis could be perceived as "questionable" or "shady" with the many business, shopping malls, movie theaters, parks, and restaurants with whom we share the neighborhood.

Once again, we appreciate your feedback and kind words about the staff. I hope you have a wonderful and safe summer.

Matt Haley - GM
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

this one seemed a bit old/dated and needs a deep clean and refresh. the staff was polite and knowledgeable about the area. I was put in a special needs room without request and the hotel wasn't full. this meant I had to deal with a wet bathroom floor and no counter space. the dated heat/ac unit rattled so loud it woke me from a deep sleep when it came on at 2:30am. the funny thing is, they have earplugs on the night stand. maybe they area aware it's noisy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you again for your feedback. I hope I was able to address your issues in our previous correspondence. Please feel free to reach out to me if there is anything else I can do for you. Matt Haley - GM
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Pros: Room was very clean. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was good, nothing unusual. Free coffee and tea in the lobby. Free parking; it's plentiful, but unless you get right outside the door, prepare to walk just a bit. Corky's Barbecue is in walking distance (although the neighborhood is somewhat shady, so be careful.)

Cons: The room was TINY. I've stayed in much larger rooms for much less. The bathroom was very, very tiny. When I asked the clerk if we could have a larger room, she said "that's the largest one we have." At the price paid for the room...I have to wonder if it's a "get all those tourist dollars" thing.

When we got to the room, we found a complimentary pair of earplugs on the nightstand. We found out why later: there is a train track across the highway from the hotel, and trains run by FREQUENTLY at all hours. (The hotel is located near a large train yard.) Traffic noise is also a problem. The highway in front of the hotel is a very busy main drag. I realize the hotel can't help where it's located; however, had I been aware of the noise, and of how small the room was going to be, I would have chosen somewhere else.

The neighborhood seemed to be an older one, and not exactly the best part of town, so you want to make sure to lock any valuables (GPS, radar detector, etc) away.

Overall, I wish I'd stayed somewhere else for the money I paid.

lansing mi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Clean room and it's convenient as far as location. The best part of the hotel was the staff (who were exceptional) and the lobby area. I was slightly hesitant pulling up to a hotel on a major road with a wrought iron fence around the property and have to admit, I'm sure it's safe here but it's a little jarring and has me question the neighborhood. The hotel is a little dated and could use a lift but like I said it's definitely clean. One night, do-able, 2 I'd move more towards Germantown. (assuming you don't have a downtown meeting).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Memphis-Poplar? Share your experiences!