“Never, ever again.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Memphis Airport

You added Courtyard by Marriott Memphis Airport to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Memphis Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1780 Nonconnah Blvd, Memphis, TN 38132 (Quince - Oakhaven-Parkway PD)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #36 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Greenville Mississippi
“Never, ever again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Had stayed at this hotel in January, and had no problems. While booking this trip, I read some of the negative reviews and was a little surprised, but, unfortunately, I didn't take them to heart. Checked in for two nights. Sat morning slept in and then relaxed by the pool. It's a good thing we didn't head out earlier because the maids tried to kick us out of our room, saying we had only reserved the one night. We had to go back to the lobby and get our cards rekeyed for another night. A pain, but not a major problem. Then when we checked out the hotel charged us $130 for the second night...saying there were no rooms available at the $100 rate. BS. No one was nice, No one apologized for anything. They said we were lying about reserving for two nights at checkin. Mistakes do happen. I get that. But it was the TOTAL lack of customer service that turned us off. Will never stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Clearwater, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

Checked in July 2 about 11:30PM. Key card machine broke. Had to have security let me in my room. I waited out side locked entrance for 15 minute. Parking is behind a locked gate but someone tailed me in. I DID NOT FEEL SAFE. No complimentary breakfast. This property is a Motel-6 with a fresh coat of paint. This is not Marriott Courtyard quality. I did speak to the General Manager- Leslie (I think). He reponse to my concern/trouble was "Things Happen". What happens is I will not stay here again. I was very disatisfied. Of Note: I am not hard on ratings. Check my record, but this place is worthy of this review.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

closest big-name chain hotel near airport, but in the middle of no where. No restaurant. No bar. Was clean and comfortable, but I"ve stayed in much nicer Courtyards with more services. Luckily, internet was free.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

OK I've been platinum with Marriott and Diamond with Hilton for 5-6 years now, so this is not just a random drive by review: I cannot believe this is a Marriott property.

Key gate access still doesn't work? After SIX MONTHS??? (see other reviews) that is Inexcusable. Please fire whoever is in charge of maintenance. Now.

But wait, there's more! Maybe it's a Memphis derelict attitude thing... But is there anything that works, well, in this city?

Beds were failrly comfy, but softer than most Marriotts (maybe they bypassed this property in their nationwide renovations?)

Towels were - as one previous reviewer noted - made of something, but not cotton. Paper towels? Sandpaper? Rice wafer thin and - not Marriott quality (recurring theme, here)

Nice neighborhood if you are looking for a broad selection of truck stops, strip joints, and tatoo parlors. Sure wish I knew that before I made the reservation online. But then again, I trust MArriott 98% of the time.

Here's to the 2-per center.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
bsbruce
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

In the past I've stayed at the Radisson but could never sleep because of the airplane noise. I never really heard any planes at the Courtyard. In fact, I had an inner courtyard room and there was no noise at all. I don't understand why there isn't an elevator convenient to the lobby. You need to go to the far corner of the hotel or use the stairs (with heavy luggage). The shuttle driver was great and I was picked up at the car rental within 5 minutes of my call. My only real complaint would be that the towels were obviously left over from whatever this hotel was before it was renovated and became a courtyard.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

This place annoys me. While it seems clean enough, and is very conveniently located in the business park where my company is also situated, the service is miserable, and it doesn't feel entirely safe. I've made two trips here in the past two months. When I checked into the hotel during my January trip, I was given a room that was already occupied by a (thankfully, fully dressed) surprised man. When I made the hike back to the desk to tell the front desk clerk what had happened, she didn't say a word. In fact, she seemed completely unfazed, and simply gave me a key to another room. On the more recent trip, my key card didn't work, so I trekked back to the front desk, waited in line, had my card recoded, then walked all the way back to my room (carrying all my luggage, of course) to try it again. The key didn't work on the second try, either, so I again had to schlep everything back to the front desk and wait for the clerk to try to find another key. She explained that there was a new key system that wasn't working, but these key issues have been happening to my colleagues who have been at the hotel since early December, so I'm not sure how new the issue really is. After trekking once more up a flight of stairs and half-way around the hotel with all my luggage, I tried the new card, and it worked. It only took me 20 minutes of walking back and forth three times to get a room key that worked. Again, no apology or even an attempt to care about my plight. Then when I called the desk at 9:30 PM to arrange for a wake-up call, no one answered. I tried the wake-up call number as well as the front desk for 30 minutes, and no one ever answered. Pilots and flight attendants use the hotel (as do lots of businessmen, it seems), and in the shuttle (free and prompt, which is nice) to the airport the next morning, a few of them were joking about the fact that their wake-up calls were received at the incorrect time or else never received at all. My last gripe is about how unsecure I feel at this place (as a single female traveler). Although the hotel is surrounded by a high metal fence with spikes and there are video cameras posted at the side entry doors, I don't feel very safe. The hallways are a little dark, and there are several possible entrances to the hotel. You have to use a room key to open the doors (and the security fence to the parking lot), but there were some kind of shady-looking characters coming and going during my earlier trip in January. I didn't see uniformed security, and the fact that no one answered my call to the front desk for 30 minutes at night makes me believe that there really isn't anyone around who is too concerned about my well-being. Each room has a balcony, so I'd advise getting a room on the second floor and ensuring that the sliding glass door bar actually works (unlike the one in my room, which fell down when I opened the curtains).

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We chose this hotel after reading others' reviews here. The proximity was close to Graceland (the reason for our visit). The hotel is located in an industrial area. Gated parking was an added plus. We felt secure here. We used the pink limo service to go to dinner at Marlowe's, which was very nice. The only negative I would give is that the desk staff upon checking in was not particularly friendly. THe night staff was great, however. Our son got sick in the middle of the night and vomitted on the floor and they promptly moved us to a new room.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Memphis Airport? Share your experiences!