“Something's missing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Memphis Airport

You added Courtyard by Marriott Memphis Airport to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Memphis Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1780 Nonconnah Blvd, Memphis, TN 38132 (Quince - Oakhaven-Parkway PD)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #36 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
“Something's missing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Courtyard hotels are always reliably good - and the same. We selected this location as it is located adjacent to the Memphis Airport, and has 24-hour shuttle service. We had an early morning departure flight, plus have always liked the Marriott Courtyard experience.

This Courtyard staff members are friendly and helpful and well-trained, all signs of good management. The lobby area and business center area with boarding-pass-printing is bright, clean and comfortable. The room was very clean, and in excellent order. The bed is comfortable - firm and soft at the same time. The shower was the best ever - none of the water miser problems experienced at some hotels.

What is missing here, however, is the in-lobby self-serve coffee and tea. If you love coffee, and dislike Starbuck's coffee, you have a problem, Unlike every other Courtyard where I've stayed over many years, the self-serve coffee was yanked out. It is possible to get extra packets of one-cup-brew-in-the-room coffee, but that's not convenient if you plan to relax in the fireplaced sitting area or work at the business center. I don't mind paying room + breakfast cost of $25-30 more nightly to stay at a Courtyard vs. pricing at many other brands. But no coffee in the lobby? Courtyard standards are no longer.

Also - the lobby food service is OK, with a limited menu, but no mid-day hours. As we were there over the weekend, this meant that getting a non-Starbucks coffee, or a newspaper, or eating a mid-day meal - required getting into the car and driving some distance. There is literally no alternative for other services in the area. No store, no deli, no newspaper stand, no convenience store.

The hotel is great for the traveler with airport connections.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here because its close to the airport and they had a free shuttle. Rooms were not as spacious or clean as most Courtyards I've stayed at. I was on the bottom floor and there was a sliding door that went right out to the parking lot, so quite a bit of noise and headlights. They security for parking is a little different too. Not sure if there's big crime rate in the area or it's just an added safety feature. The lobby is nice and the staff was helpful though. Overall I would recommend you stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Opt for second floor or above room (not sure if they have 2 or 3 floors)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Gulf Shores, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Nothing special but served it's purpose.

Lobby area has been updated.

Rooms could use some updating.

A little disappointing after staying in multiple Courtyards in other areas.

If you are just looking for a place to rest your head for a night near the airport this is your place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Omg I will never let me repeat NEVER stay in this hotel again. In all of my 56 years I have never encountered such a rude bunch of uncaring, unconcerned people. I stayed in hotel 9-21-12 thru 9-24-12 upon checkout we paid cash I discovered that $400.00 was placed on hold on my credit card for the two rooms. On 10-12-12 I called hotel and first spoke to a Julius who then transferred me to the General Manager who's name I did'nt get but both she and the clerk were extremely rude. I explained to the manager that CitiCard said that she would need to call them to let them know that the card had not been charged she refused saying she was not financial institution and that they would have to take hold off I again called the card company on three different occassions as well as hotel and they kept saying that the hotel needed to call them. After the third attempt of trying to get this resolved with the manager I just gave up. Hopefully after 30 days these charges will drop off my card. But the staff made me feel like I was bothering them like I was getting on their nerves but they don't have to worry because I will never come back there or recommend this place to anyone. I'm sure if the situation was reversed they would not want to be treated the way I was.

Room Tip: Do not I repeat do not stay here the staff is horrible but what can you expect when it starts with t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Durango
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stay in Marriott Hotels at least 6 times a month. This Marriott is one of the poorest maintained hotels in their chain. The shuttle was smelly and dirty, the driver was most unhelpful, and there were hairs in my bed and bathroom upon arrival. I kept seeing the shuttle driver lingering in the hallway in front of my room. Not sure what he was doing there as I was on the third floor in the opposite end of the hotel from the front desk. I had to be moved due to a strong smell of cigarettes in this "non-smoking" hotel. Beware if you have no transportation. The shuttle goes only to the airport and back, and the nearest restaurant is over a half of a mile away, with the exception of a Subway Sandwich restaurant across the street. When I checked in at 2pm on a Saturday the Subway was closed. If you have no transportation, this is NOT the place for you. And the elevator is in the opposite side of the hotel from the front desk. The spa is out of service and empty, and the fitness facility is pitifully lacking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Memphis Airport, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review. We strive to ensure all our guest are satisfied and we have provided great service and amenities, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most humble apologies.

We thank guest like you whom give us constructive feed back that we may provide a better services & amenities to accommodate you. In 2013 we will be providing a designated shuttle drop off & pick up services to downtown Memphis & within in 3 mile radius to hotel for all our guest, for their dinning and enjoyment needs.

The Fitness center renovation to expand will be completed in December 2012 with state of the art equipment and free weights options.

It is not common that we get this sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future.

I hope that we have addressed some of your concerns, and that you allow us the privilege to serve you again should you return to Memphis or any other Marriot brand locations in the near future.

Let me apologize again that your experience was not completely satisfying, and ensure you that we will continue to listen to guest on forums like this one.
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Recently stayed here during a road trip to Illinois.  We stayed here because we got caught in the squall from Hurricane Isaac.  The place was packed.  This courtyard is an upgraded courtyard with new bistro style dining.  We checked in and got a suite for $159.  We needed to pamper ourselves. Sadly no luggage cart could be found to carry our luggage to the room.  The room was clean and spacious.  There are limited bathroom amenities.  The couch was well used as it was saggy. The bed was sufficient for one night stay. We checked out with ease except still no luggage cart. I guess it had gone MIA in someone's room. Overall out of 10 score this place would average a 6.5.  Acceptable but there is some needed improvement.  I could stay here again if I was in a pinch.  At least the young lady managing the bistro counter was friendly and able to make a coffee drink to order.  She even made us hot chocolate even though it was not on the menu. Thumbs up to her!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel was perfect for the location and security we needed due to gated parking lot and overnight security. We were on motorcycles and were able to park right in front of our rooms. The dissappointing part of our stay was the bathrooms!! Oh my! There was mold and mildew. The tub had rust. The toilet looked very old. The towels were dingy and needed replacing. I had also requested queen size beds and told the reservation was booked for full size beds. The manager finally agreed to straighten this out. With what this hotel offers, i would hope an investment would be made to upgrade the bathrooms which is badly needed. I like the fact that sinks are located outside of bathroom for easy access. Although convenient, this hotel is not up to Courtyard Marriott standards in its current state.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Memphis Airport? Share your experiences!