“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Java Cabana

Java Cabana
2170 Young Ave, Memphis, TN 38104 (Cooper Young Community Association)
(901) 272-7210
Neighborhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Alton, Illinois
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I thought this was a great little place. We only had drinks so I can't comment on the food but my chai was perfect & the coffee was very good as well.

They've filled the space with an eclectic collection of seating and they also have a supply of books and games all around to keep yourself entertained. I found it to be a very comfortable and cozy environment and if we didn't have other things to do I'm sure we could have lost time there for a while.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Olive Branch, Mississippi
“Coffee Shop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Love coffee shops. I actually forgot about this one until I drove past it the other day and I can't wait to visit this weekend. Food is okay, but the coffee and entertainment are great.

Guelph, Canada
“Since when does "artsy" mean gross?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

To be fair, I walked out of this place without eating or drinking anything.

The venue isn't quaint or artsy, it's grungy and gross. The "quaint and comfortable couches" are worthy of student housing, not a cafe. The few people inside the place were unfriendly and unwelcoming, and the selections offered were limited. I was disappointed, having seen this place hyped up in a few city guides, and having walked miles to get here. The whole midtown district seems over-rated to me, and Java Cabana fits right in with that assessment.

Mary B, Owner at Java Cabana, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear McMarshal,
I realize it is years later since you posted your review of my café, but I still wanted to reach out and say how sad it makes me that your experience was obviously not a good one. It's my intention to be a community coffeehouse, a place where people can gather over a good cup of coffee and decompress. As for being "gross," the building and the furniture are old, but we always have a high health department, generally in the 90s. I know sometimes things can get a bit cluttered, so I do apologize if you caught us on a messy day. I certainly hope if you find yourself back in Memphis, you will give us another chance. I want everyone to feel welcomed.

--Mary B.
“Eclectic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011 via mobile

As a Memphis resident, this is one of my favorite places to go. I love that I can buy coffee & some artwork while listening to someone perform. Caramel milkshakes are the best! :)

Tupelo, MS
“Quaint Coffee Shop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Our visit to Java Cabana was merely by accident because I was in the mood for a milkshake after walking the block there was noone that had one on their menu. We spotted Java Cabana on our way in earlier that day and thought we would give them a shot since we had tried everywhere else. I had the peanut butter milkshake, it was really good. Lets just say when she (the barista) got ready to make it she pulled a large bucket of icecream out of the freezer to make it :) it was the real thing! The White Chocolate Mocha was good as well. We sat at one of the mismatched tables and played chess while listening to soft music in the background. There were a few other people in there on laptops, reading, and studying. It was relaxing. Its not a chain so everything in it is not ultra modern like Starbucks, so dont go expecting it to be so.