“We loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 18 Memphis B&B and Inns
Libertyville, Illinois
“We loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I spent our wedding night in the Isabella sweet and we loved it. Yes, the decor is over the top, for sure, but we liked it. It was an experiance. The lady that ran the place wsa lovely and knocked on our door to get us up for breakfast. " I don't want it to get cold!"
I grew up in Memphis so the location is dicey but it was very quiet and it didn't bother me at all. I am sure we would stay there again.
It does feel a bit like you are staying in a place decorated by "The Ladies Man" from Saturday Night Live, but honestly, for me that added to its charm.

Room Tip: The Isabella Suite is great for privacy and the bed is luxurious.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
las vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

I'm glad I didn't read the reviews before we left or we wouldn't have stayed here and then I wouldn't have such a good story to share with our friends. The neighborhood was really bad, but we didn't have any problems, so maybe it's fine but just looks bad. The house has architectural charm but the decor is over the top gilded, cushioned, tassled, heavy chandelier, heavy everything.... will suit some people but it felt too outrageous to us. Less money should have been put into brocade and more put into making the electricity, taps and furnace work properly and gluing the tile on the bathroom floor. But it was an experience and one we'll laugh about for some time. (The caretakers were very nice and the rooms were clean.)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Beautiful Lake Cumberland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

I'm laughing as I read some of these reviews and remember our stay at the Roulhac last September. We had the gentleman greet us with a grunt and point for parking too.. and we were confused as to where to enter, what to do with our bags, etc... no one there seemed to know what was going on. The lady that ran the house had apparently just ogtten out of the hospital, and clearly wasn't ready to be back on the job. We finally got up to our room... and yes, the decor was very overdone and not to my style, but it was still quaint and clean, and our room and bathroom was beautiful. Breakfast the first morning was a train wreck... food was OK, but there were only four people (one other couple, myself and my husband) and they all got food except me. The lady acted upset because she had to bring another plate out... I could hear her in the kitchen saying, "What's the problem? What does she want?" LOL Oh boy~ They behaved that morning as if they were put out that we were there in their way. We barely got more than a grunt of acknowledgment when we would come and go. Location is a bit off putting because of the neighborhood, but no one bothered us, and it is close to all the 'attractions' of Memphis. That's just Memphis, so it didn't bother us. Breakfast on the second morning was an entirely different experience. Must have been her twin sister because she was very friendly, and it was a great deal more enjoyable. All in all, a memorable experience, though probably a singular one as I'm not sure we'd stay there again.... I'd recommend you try it just once, for the experience.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

The neighborhood was very run down. The furniture on the front porch is chained down. Our room was very crowded and the bathroom was tiny - it had to be a small closet previously. You had to get in and move towards the toliet or shower to be able to shut the door. The breakfast on Saturday was fine, but no one had enough to eat. On Sunday morning, they served burritos and hash browns from McDonalds. We couldn't believe it! If I wanted to eat McDonalds food on Sunday morning, we would have stayed at MOTEL 6. Decor: gaudy

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Evansville, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

The building is exquisite! The rooms are extremely quiet. The mansion is charming and amazingly clean. The neighborhood at first glance was a bit worrisome. The buildings are a little rundown around the Roulhac but are better than surrounding blocks. The locals were nice and the neighborhood was quiet. There is a police station down the street if that is a worry for you. The Stax Records Museum and Academy of Music is just down the street. The Soulsville company is cleaning up the entire neighborhood and building a 'mini Beale' complex across from the museum. Many of the surrounding houses and neighborhoods are the birthplace and houses of many of the Rock / Blues and Soul sensations of the 50's , 60's and 70's. The Stax was our favorite visit our entire stay in Memphis and was less than a block from the Roulhac.
Margie and Neefy, manager and caretaker of the mansion were a pleasure to have met. They made the stay 100x times more enjoyable than just the charm of the house itself could do. Our first evening Neefy called us a cab to take us to Beale Street. MArgie pulled in to the mansion 30 minutes after we had called for a cab. She said hello and Neefy told her we were waiting on a cab, she asked us how long, we said 30 minutes and Margie said "that is too long. Hop in the car and I will take you down. There is no reason to wait for a cab that long." She took us straight to Beale and 3rd and told us not to hesitate to call the mansion if we needed anything.
Beale is a short , easy drive from the mansion and parking near Beale is cheap and easy to find. Memphis was great but Roulhac was the best! Love Margie and Neefy, they made us feel like family and we awoke everyday anxious to sit and talk with them after breakfast. Oh! And breakfast each morning was fantastic! You will not get that kind of great food in a hotel or restaurant!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

I booked my reservations via hotels.com with the Roulhac Mansion. We arrived in Memphis a bit early and thought we would check out our accomodations, to figure out where we were staying and it's proximity to the rest of the area we planned on visiting. When we pulled into the drive we were met by a man who pointed and grunted at us as to where we were supposed to put our vehicle, and the pointed and grunted towards the front entrance. (I later find out this delightful gentleman is their security officer, talk about scary) When we got to the entrance we were bombarded by the sounds of several locks being undone from the front door, just to let us in. Some more grunting followed, and the man went to a back room. This is where we heard, coming from the back, "I don't know what to do with them, I don't want to talk to 'them people'". At this point we were not only a bit creeped out, but now we were upset as well. For $119 a night, we had had a single word spoken to us, had been grunted at and pointed around, and now we were 'Them people'. When the man came back we told him we wanted to cancel our reservations to stay somewhere else, he turned around, and went to the back again. After several minutes the female voice we heard from the back met us in the front, and we told her also that we wanted to cancel our reservations. Now keep in mind that she was clearly audible in the back, but when confronted face to face with us, she practically grunted at us too. We did our best to figure out what she was saying, cancel through the web site, and we left. Upon calling hotels.com, they tell me the roulhac is the billing party, and that I must contact them instead. When I called the 1-800 number for the Roulhac I was answered by an articulate, well spoken gentleman. Where was he when I went to the hotel. At this point, they had charged me $264.77 out of my bank account, it was not even 'check in time' at the Mansion, much less the next day. Long story short, after several frustrating calls to Hotels.com, and the Roulhac, I was told they would consider giving my money back to me, and would call me back later that afternoon. I have not heard back from them yet. The Roulhac is RUDE, CREEPY, and are THIEVES. Forgive me for not wanting to stay there, but after the treatment, lack of people who are able to SPEAK, you couldn't PAY ME to stay there. I want my money back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

This was our 4th trip to Memphis, but this one was by far the best!!

We are University of Kentucky fans and were in town for the Liberty Bowl. I had originally booked a chain hotel outside of town, but really lucked into The Roulhac when we decided to stay in town.

We wanted to be near town and the stadium. The Roulhac gave us everything we could have wanted and more. We stayed in The Isabella House and it was perfect as was the entire staff. Margie greeted us upon arrival and really took care of us during our stay as did Larry and Martha.

Breakfast was outstanding both mornings and they really went the extra mile when we asked for early breakfast on our day of departure.

Margie hugged us as we left and we assured her we would be back!

What a wonderful experience!

Vicki & Frank
Louisville, KY

• Liked — Staff, location, historical beauty
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Roulhac Mansion? Share your experiences!