“Just what we were looking for” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #17 of 135 Hotels in Memphis
Dallas, Texas
“Just what we were looking for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Very adequate property, with great service and decent accommodations. Service was prompt and with a smile, at check-in/out, for meal pick-up, and at breakfast. The rooms are the standard Hyatt Place layout. They were clean and sort of spacious, though they felt a bit dated (it may have probably been the brown decor). The beds weren't the best, but worked out fine. Area was convenient to restaurants, etc., and felt safe. The meal service is very convenient. It operates 24 hours and they have a decent selection of stuff, but be aware it's mostly quick, ready to cook prepared type meals. However, it meets a need, especially having arrived late in the evening. The breakfast was nice - they had 'grillers' that day, which was open-faced English muffin halves with an egg, ham, and cheese, plus the usual fruit, etc., stuff. The grillers were made in house and gave it a sense of a homemade breakfast. Kids enjoyed the stay there and we would return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

At first I was a bit apprehensive to to the age of the hotel and was told that it was totally renovated it was much nicer than I expected and the staff couldn't be friendlier. The breakfast skillets shouldn't be missed and beds comfortable. Perfect for business travel

• Stayed November 2012
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Got to Memphis, no reservation, phone app recommended Hyatt Place. We stopped at one in the midst of a busy office park, and it was packed, no rooms. They sent us five miles down the highway to this one, in a big vacant area waiting for office park to grow around it. Never stayed at one before. Location was dullsville, but close to the highway and some main streets, so easy to get places. Room was quite nice, would have been $250 to $300 in better locations. BIG TV with actual HD content (not blurry pictures stretched out wide), swivels to view right in front of couch or at the foot of the bed. Jack panel allows easy hookup of almost any computer, audio or video to the TV. Very secure building, all doors locked all the time (except front). Front desk person can cook you a meal in a few minutes 24 hours a day. Hot breakfast is decent. Staff is very friendly and helpful. For under ninety bucks a night, we couldn't find a thing to complain about.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sierra Vista, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at Hyatts before so decided to book into this one. Saw that reviews were a little mixed and have to agree on a couple of things. Check-in was great; the clerk was friendly and efficient. Although the room was fine, it did look ever so slightly tired. I was worried because it was located right beside the elevator but we didn't hear a thing. The bathrooms in the Hyatts tend to be on the small side and this one was no exception. The shower head was wonderful though. The pillows are very firm--too firm for my husband who went down to the car to get his own. The room was very cold when we first entered but once we turned the a/c and fan off it was fine. The bed was very comfortable. I needed to use a computer for work purposes, was glad that the business center not only had two but also had a printer. That was great. There is a bar area by the check-in desk with tempting goodies that was open until at least 11:00 when I finished at the business center.
Breakfast was excellent although it was disappointing that there wereno hot chocolate packets available. People who don't drink coffee or tea aren't very well served in American hotels where there is only coffee or tea available. I could have bought a hot chocolate from the bar area but really didn't feel like paying $2.89.
These complaints are minor though for a tired traveller who appreciated all the good things that the hotel did offer.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I picked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews, location and the fact that I needed 2 double beds. I had a friend traveling with me and would have probably chosen another hotel nearby but found the majority had king beds. We arrived after a flight to St. Louis and harrowing drive from St Louis to Memphis dodging remnants of hurricane Issac. I had called the hotel directly the day before to confirm the double beds and possible late arrival due to the weather. We arrived around 8:30pm in a downpour. It was hard to see street signs but finally managed to find this hotel. Upon arriving I was told there were only king beds left. Needless to say, I was unhappy. I was told there was nothing they could do about it, apologized and gave us vouchers for a free dinner from the limited bar menu. Since the weather was so nasty, we were tired, and it was late we opted to go ahead and stay at the Hyatt Place. The room was nice, clean, and quiet. However, I was not happy with the bed situation and would not stay here again as a result. It was not a pleasant way to begin our vacation.

Room Tip: If you are promised 2 queen beds you may end up with a king. If a king bed will be an issue for you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I rolled into Memphis at like 3am one night having driven all the way from Dallas, TX! We booked our reservation in advance, called around midnight to say we were still on our way - staff was very nice and gave us a free late checkout. When we showed up the doors were locked (there was a guard on staff which was nice but may have said something about the area). Once we got inside, everything was fine - the guard and clerk were both friendly and chatty. We went up to our room on the 4th floor which was right near the elevator (a bit noisy in the morning but we were so tired we didn't care). The bed was VERY comfortable - one of the main reasons I stay at Hyatt Place anywhere - and the living area and bathroom were both great. We loved it here, and although I don't think we'll ever be back to Memphis, it was a great stay!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevator, if possible
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just returned from a two-day stay at the Hyatt Place Memphis Primacy Parkway (henceforth referred to in this review as 'HPM'). This was a trip with my wife and our two daughters for a wedding in Memphis. First, we were in bit of hot water for not staying at the neighboring La Quinta like everyone else in our group. With no disrespect to the La Quinta (I didn't set foot in it), the angst we had to bear was well worth it. As I always do in my reviews on tripadvisor, here is a look at the Great, Good, Bad, and Ugly with some Bottom Line comments. Ready? Here goes . . .

GREAT

* Uniqueness: In an earlier review, one reviewer mentioned 'unimaginative and poor room design'. I was shocked to read that. Most business class hotel reviews I write here have to be written quickly, or I start forgetting about the hotel. NOT the case with the HPM. I appreciate a hotel that breaks the standard cookie-cutter hotel room design and HPM did that. The lay-out made excellent use of the space. There were four of us and we were more than comfortable - my wife and I slept on the King and our daughters on the sofa pull-out. And, while my wife and I obviously aren't going to have too much 'fun' with our daughters there, the room did have a kind of partially divided feel with a divider that juts some three feet from the wall separating the bed from sofa. The same can be said for the hotel reception area. the HPM is not very large but they make good use of common area space with an effective, funky design.

* Value / Breakfast: for a room rate of $99 / night I thought I did VERY well. Add to this the incredibly generous breakfast that is FREE with your stay and the value is excellent. Breakfast is far beyond the coffee, juice, and pastry norm where you're doing very well to get a waffle iron. NOT the case here where they had a big selection of hot and cold items, including hot McDonalds egg mcmuffin-type sandwiches. Very generous and appreciated.

GOOD

* Location: While I had never been to Memphis before and regret not taking the opportunity to look around a bit, this seems like a great location to stay in with many conveniences to be had nearby - and this was appreciated by me as I had a dress code violation at the wedding and had to run out and buy all new clothes quickly (I was so happy to learn the DAY OF the wedding I was to be an usher and adhere to a particular color theme that my super fly black suit wasn't meeting!).

* 'Versatility': the HPM strikes the fine line of being an equally good choice for a business or personal stay.

* Technology: I appreciated the free wifi and the excellent panel of media plug-in options for the big pretty flat screen in our room.

Bad (room for improvement)

* Noise: We had a nice room but it was on the first floor just NEXT to the pool entrance / exit (room # 126). This was nice as I was able to step outside and sun a bit but . . . there was a lot of noise from that door just outside of our room - and this was in mid-October. In, say, July it could have been a bit much. Also, there was a hotel service room just across the hall too and, again, it got a bit noisy at times. This seems pretty isolated to this one partiuclar area though.

BOTTOM LINE

* The HPM is a simple, manageable hotel that is more memorable than similar properties and is an equally good choice for personal time or business traveling.

* Because parked cars may be mere feet from your window, coupled with all of the other lobby happenings, I do recommend avoiding a stay on the first floor if you can.

* Come with accurately-calibrated expectations and you will not be disappointed with this hotel.

Room Tip: You won't go wrong here at all but . . . next time I will try to avoid ground floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Place Memphis Primacy Parkway? Share your experiences!