“Great Fish!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flying Fish

Flying Fish
105 South Second St., Memphis, TN 38103 (Downtown)
901 522 8CAT
Neighborhood: Downtown
Knoxville
“Great Fish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and I stumbled on this place one night while in Memphis - he ordered the catfish and I had the fried oyster salad. We both thoroughly enjoyed our food and the laid back atmosphere. His fish wasn't "fishy" and my salad was huge! I couldn't finish it. We would come back!

85% Recommend
Starkville, Mississippi, United States
“Fish, fish, fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We went looking for good fish without the hype. We found it. The fried catfish po-boy was crisp and not greasy. My wife had catfish filet and shrimp, both very good. The calamari rings likewise were crisp and not greasy. The two 12 oz mugs of beer were a nice touch, they were out of 22 oz mugs.

Visited December 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

This place is great! We stopped by because of the Southern Living recommendation. My review is based on the time we stopped by, on a late Monday night. If it was during the day it might have been slightly different, as I can image a large day crowd would impact my experience. With that said, I like that it is open late until 10pm. It is a really cool dive! They have neat things posted all over the walls, mostly "adopted" Billy Bass fish. My favorite are the Marilyn Monroe and Elvis (of course in Memphis!) : ) The mahi was great! Better than I have eaten in Hawaii! I loved the way they cooked it! Sooo tasty! The grilled vegetables were very good and the red beans and rice were the best I have ever had! I was quite surprised about how good my food was, the price, and the many choices that are not fried. The service was good too. A nice young gentleman took our order at the counter and asked us later while cleaning up how we were doing (the ticket says Sid/Madison.) The location is also close to Beale street. Happy eating! : )

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Smith, Arkansas
“More than you pay for.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Just had lunch at Flying Fish. Like others in the chain, you get exactly what you expect and that's lots of food, cooked well, and served quickly. Had the oyster Po' Boy and was pleased with the quality of the shell fish and the freshness of the bread. Very friendly service and, my gosh, can those cooks crank out the food!

Just a side note: Please read the review of FF by surryhillstwt who complains of the restaurant's failing to source local fresh food. The review is titled "Get real". Hmmmm....this is a chain, bound by the corporate office's idea of good value and good food. Not everyone is, or needs to be farm-to-table (whatever that means, as most food comes from a farm). Sometime it's just fine to eat "down."

In other words, enjoy Flying Fish for what it IS, not what it never was meant to be.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Memphis, Tennessee
“Get real”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Frozen imported farmed fish! Get real. What ever happened to sourcing locally and responibility to show somr pride in fresh local food. Its a great place let down by this massive flaw.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere