“Fried goodness” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flying Fish

Flying Fish
105 South Second St., Memphis, TN 38103 (Downtown)
901 522 8CAT
Neighborhood: Downtown
Nixa, Missouri
“Fried goodness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We ate fried shrimp, fried oysters, hushpuppies, and boiled shrimp. Good beer selection, and awesome atmosphere.

We read that there are other "flying fishes" around the country. We will check them out.

Visited March 2013

85% Recommend
Nashville
“Lots of seafood options at a great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The thing I like most about Flying Fish is the wide assortment of dishes. Of course there are lots of great fried options, but what's less typical for a "walk up counter" place is all the grilled, boiled, etc. options. I also love the standard sides of mixed squash and beans and rice.

The atmosphere is casual but unique with its fisherman "profiles" and other fishing related motif. This is a great option if you're downtown and you can't stand to eat anymore BBQ.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aledo, Illinois, United States
“Got a BAD Batch of Gumbo”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The usually great gumbo was not hot when it came. That should have tipped me off not to consume it. But I did and paid for it.

Visited March 2013
Conway, Arkansas
“Pretty good...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Cool little casual eatery close to Beale street. The oyster poor boy was very good and had enough oysters to keep me satisfied. My wifes fish tacos were very good as well. The reason that it gets a 3 instead of four on food is the gumbo. It was not bad, but the few shrimp and crayfish that were there had sat in the gumbo too long and lost all consistency. Very mushy and unappetizing. Not a bad spot though... Maybe just watch out for the gumbo

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jesup, Georgia
“Average seafood, but fun place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My family and I ate here recently on a trip to Memphis. This is NOT a fancy place at all. In fact, you order at the counter - they give you a beeper and buzz you when your order is ready. We all had the fried shrimp. They were good, but not the best I have ever had.(I must say that I live on the Georgia Coast and have excellent shrimp regularly.... so I might be a little biased.) I found that the shrimp were a little pricey for what they were.... I believe it was $18.99 for 12 shrimp. They were large shrimp. They were butterflied and fried well, but for me, they were good - but not fantastic. They came with fries and huspuppies - again ... good, but nothing special. However, the place is a fun place to eat. It has sort of combination fish camp, 60's style diner vibe. They play blues music, which I actually didn't hear much in Memphis. They have pictures of fishermen and their stories on the wall. The front room is a hilarious "Billy Bass Adoption Center". The service was good as well. It is in a good location downtown - next door to the Peabody - very easy to get to. My 7 year old son really loved it. All in all... it was probably worth it for the experience, but the food is just average.

• Visited February 2013