“Amazing property” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Memphis Beale Street

You added The Westin Memphis Beale Street to your Saves list
The Westin Memphis Beale Street
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   170 Lt. George Washington Lee Avenue, Memphis, TN 38103   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #32 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Brooklyn, Nyc
“Amazing property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This property (notice I did not say hotel) is absolutely beautiful. From the entrance to the exit I was pleased with everything.
I was here for a wedding, so that made my experience all the more wonderful. Check-in was truly a breeze. Despite getting there at 2:00pm, they still checked me in. I think the pleasant surprise was when I stayed ont he Starwoods Preferred floor. That made me smile.

I went to the gym, which was great. They offered free headphones as well.

I experienced the Bleu Restaurant, which I will review separetly.

Because the wedding party had a special brunch set up, they extended my check-out from 12noon to 3:00pm. Which was so very nice of them.

The bed was unbelievable. I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud. This property is right in downtown Memphis, which is withiin walking distance to the famour Beale St.

Thank you for such an amazing stay at your property.

Room Tip: Become a Starwoods Preferred member.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
BealeStreetHotelier, Digital Media Coordinator at The Westin Memphis Beale Street, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Javone,

Thanks so much for this review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.

Thank you for choosing Westin Memphis.

Nicole H. Digital Media Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
gold coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Booked 2 rooms on separate bookings from Australia 6 months in advance for husbands bday. Called few weeks prior to confirm. 2 days before arrival received email cancelling both rooms due to overbooking. No apologies and no alternatives. Absolute nightmare.

• Stayed May 2013
BealeStreetHotelier, General Manager at The Westin Memphis Beale Street, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
From the entire staff of The Westin Memphis, we sincerely apologize for the recent cancellation of reservations. Memphis was the location of several big events this past weekend, including the advancement of the Memphis Grizzlies in the NBA playoffs—for which we had little advanced notice—and the contractual demand for our hotel has unfortunately outpaced our supply. We have never experienced an overbooking situation like this in the past.

Please know that this unfortunate circumstance is not how we typically run our hotel, or serve our guests. You are absolutely correct -- this does not live up to the expectations of a AAA Four Diamond Hotel. This was a learning experience for every staff member involved.

Please be on the lookout for a private message from a member of my team.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and are working to make things right.

Respectfully,

Patrick Jordan
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had 2 rooms reserved for 2 consecutive nights. I made the reservations weeks if not a month in advance. I had confirmations from the hotel for said nights. The confirmation email actually stated "Rest easy - your reservations are confirmed". 4 days before we were to arrive I received an email from the hotel telling me my reservations were cancelled. Apparently the hotel had overbooked and they cancelled my reservations. I did not book through a 3rd party - I booked directly through the Westin. I tried several times to reach someone at the Westin - the general manager, the guest services manager and left several voicemails. I finally called the reservations department. They could not tell me anything but stated if I received an email telling me my reservations were cancelled then they were, in fact, cancelled. I asked if this meant both night and she could not tell me.

The following day I received another email confirming that the reservations were cancelled and offered me a name of 2 hotels that had availability - IN ANOTHER STATE. I finally spoke with several people at the Westin attempting to locate alternate lodging with no luck. The hotel offered to add 20,000 points to my SPG account which would mean that I would have to redeem the points at another Starwood property - but after this fiasco, I will not book at a Westin or other Starwood property. They also offered to send me a check for $250 - which, after parking and taxes, is half of what the two rooms that were cancelled would cost.

The reservations for the following night were still good and I had this confirmed in writing as, at this point, I didn't trust anything from this hotel. Upon check in, several people were told the rooms were not ready - they could wait and would be offered drink vouchers. Luckily our rooms were ready.

As far as the hotel goes, it was not up to the other Westins chains. Carpet was stained and it appeared the rooms, halls, lobby and common areas were cleaned in a rush and were not really clean at all.

All in all, after having my reservations cancelled 4 days in advance of a holiday weekend, with no where else to stay, I can not recommend this hotel. If the hotel continues to treat potential customers this way - they will not have to worry about overbooking because they will not have customers.

Service was average. Location is good. Beds were comfortable. There are other hotels nearby that won't notify you a few days prior to your arrival that your confirmed reservations were cancelled. Read other reviews. I am not the only one that this happened to.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

First time visit and I was a little nerves reading previous reviews. I had a wonderful stay, it was for 2 day business training. I enjoyed the restaurant food (lunch & dinner) and also the service and attention we received from the staff was wonderful. My room faced Beale, but it wasn't noisy around bedtime and we got plenty of rest. The Westin is in a great location, so it was easy for us to get out and walk to many attractions, The Peabody (dessert & coffee), The National Civil Rights Museum, Beale Street (live music) ....it was great. Easy to check in and check out. Parking was also very easy and they only charge the one fee, you can come and go as you please, and not, per day like other hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
BealeStreetHotelier, Digital Media Coordinator at The Westin Memphis Beale Street, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Shea,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We value feedback from our guests, both good and bad, and are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to your next visit, thank you for choosing The Westin Memphis.

Nicole Harris
Digital Media Coordinator
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were there for an event at the Fed Ex Center. couldn't possibly be more convenient. the rooms were lovely, the desk staff very accommodating and knowledgeable. The only problem was breakfast..took 40 minutes to get and then order came out wrong

Room Tip: Try not to be on the Beale St side for a quieter experience
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice in one week as we drove to and from New Orleans. Wary of the hotel's reputation for over booking, we called ahead prior to arrival to "reconfirm" and to instruct - bluntly - the person answering our call not to give our room away. I cannot say whether or not this made a difference, but on both occasions we were able to check in without any problems. Also, our requests for rooms facing the Fedex arena (away from Beale Street noise) were met. On both stays, the rooms were nice - what you would expect from a Westin hotel. Parking is convenient at a high-rise garage directly next door. Valet overnight parking is $24; self-park is $18. The hotel itself is very convenient to whatever one wants to see and do in downtown Memphis, especially Beale Street nightlife. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are on the Fedex Arena side away from Beale Street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review! While the circumstances surrounding the events that weekend were unfortunate, we have been working to make things right. I'm happy to hear that your reservation was not affected and you enjoyed your stay.

Again, thank you for choosing Westin Memphis and we look forward to seeing you again.

Nicole H.
Digital Media Coordinator
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I was part of an 18 member trip with a group from Melbourne Australia. It was the first stage of a 2 week trip to view planning and development outcomes. While the hotel was well located and well great rooms it required provision of a credit card for incidentals. It has now transpired that the credit cards of all members of the group have been used fraudulently across t he US. I would use caution in using the hotel. The hotel despite a number of complaints from group members has not acknowledged the issue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to notify of us of your situation. The Westin prides itself on integrity and a situation of this nature does not align with our core values, nor it will it be tolerated. Please be on the lookout for a private message from my team to gather your contact information.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Patrick Jordan
The Westin Memphis Beale Street

Been to The Westin Memphis Beale Street? Share your experiences!