“Good Food, Difficult Service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bluefin Restaurant

Bluefin Restaurant
135 S Main St, Memphis, TN 38103-3615 (Downtown)
901-528-1010
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bluefin Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #271 of 1,292 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood, Sushi, Eclectic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Peabody Place
Transit: Downtown Trolley brings you right to our front door!
Oxford, MS
“Good Food, Difficult Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stopped by Bluefin while attending an event in Memphis. We sat outside to enjoy the nice weather. Food was good, we had an appetizer and shared one of their flatbread pizzas. They had several different drinks on their menu as well so we tried a couple of those. Now the problem, and I really hate to blame this entirely on the server. I think the restaurant is mostly at fault because our server was waiting all 11 of the outside tables by himself. There is no way he can serve that many tables correctly. It resulted in extremely slow and inconsistent service. I had to ask for my first drink three times before it finally made it to the table. All the other tables around us were having the same problem. We witnessed several mad customers both inside and out that were letting the wait staff have it. Our meal took 2 hours on a Monday night. Management really needs to support their staff better or they are going to lose business. We probably would not eat there again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Carbondale, Illinois
“Worst sushi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Staff was *okay,* but not overly friendly. Spicy tuna rolls were a little fishy & squishy. Beer was good but expensive. Good location & atmosphere.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sacramento, California
“Average to poor service. Dirty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Sushi was good. Small portions though.

Service was very poor and interior of the restaurant was dirty.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great downtown lunch spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

If you want a good place for a group of people to go for lunch, try the happy hour lunch at Bluefin. They bring around a big tray of sushi rolls, enough of a variety that everyone will find something they want to try. The Dahlia, the Quintessential, the Red Bird, and the Sweet T are my favorites. The service is a bit slow, so leave yourself some time and make sure you order several rolls when they come around or the one you want may not be on the tray next time they bring it to your table. The food is good and we usually get a few rolls for the table so everyone can share. Typical tab is $10-$15 per person, which is very reasonable for a downtown eatery.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Memphis, Tennessee
“Don't do it.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Bluefin Memphis? I'm just not a fan. I've had REAL sushi from the masters in London and Vancouver. When you know what real sushi is supposed to taste like, you push the plate away when it's not top notch! For years, I thought sushi just made me sick, but then I realized that I hadn't really HAD SUSHI. When I did, I understood. Just don't do it to yourself.
---
And let me TELL you about the bar...Oh boy, I saw the bartender open the gallon jar of olives, pour a MOUND of salt in the jar, fill it to the brim with water from the soda gun, RIGHT in front of me, shake it up (like he was really doing something), and put the bottle back in the fridge. I'm a former bartender (in my previous lifetime), and I said, "What are you doing?" He said, "I'm 'reconstituting' the olives. I'll do this like 5 times before I get another jar." I was shocked. He, in essence was 'making' new olive juice for the dirty martinis, but it was all a sham. So, when customers order dirty martinis, they are getting gin or vodka, and salt water (NO OLIVE JUICE)...Yuck!!
---
And then...5 minutes later, a customer from the other side of the restaurant ordered gingo or sake. I saw the bartender pour the sake out of the bottle into the sake porcelain jug. And since the sake filled up maybe 50% of the jug, he used the soda gun again (you know, the soda gun from the olive reconstitution situation) to fill it all the way to the top with water. That was such a horrible experience that I came for 2 for 1 happy hour sake, and I left after the 1st one. I didn't even want the 2nd. No thanks. Never going there again.

• Visited July 2013