“A Very Unique Memphis Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 76 Attractions in Memphis
Type: Cemeteries, Cultural
Memphis, Tennessee
“A Very Unique Memphis Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

What a jewel in the heart of Memphis. We did the Scandals & Scoundrels Walking Tour. Very neat way to learn about the colorful past of Memphis. The tour guides were in character and in period costumes.

Being a lifelong Memphian this was my first time to the cemetery and it was nice to be transported into a different world full of rich history. This is a must for any history-buff, Memphis fan or just someone looking for a truly unique event to attend.

I do recommend wearing comfortable walking shoes. Although the distance of the tour was not long, you are standing the entire time.

We also purchased our tickets online which made the process even easier the night of the event.

Visited June 2013

Kansas City
19 attraction reviews
“Even if you think you don't like cemeteries, go!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

This is one of the most fascinating cemeteries I have ever been in and it has a truly excellent audio tour that goes with it. When we went it was freezing cold outside and we still got out and walked around because the monuments in this cemetery are incredibly gorgeous and so descriptive compared to most tombstones! The staff there is super friendly and will let you wander all over their offices which are a museum in and of themselves. Make sure you check out their little gift area inside the cemetery vault. They have some great books.

Visited December 2013
Starkville, Mississippi
13 attraction reviews
“I guess you'd say it is interesting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

In Memphis visiting a friend and she took me there one afternoon. It's in a pretty setting with lots of trees. It struck me as a fairly typical urban Southern cemetery (but I'm not really an expert on them). NB: New Orleans cemetery's are NOT typical. Probably would have been more interesting if you were thoroughly familiar with the history of the city and could recognize some of the family names. They do provide a self-guided tour.

Visited August 2013
North Vancouver, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I highly recommend the CD drive tour it is only $10.00 the history and graves etc.. are amazing. Stop in the office to say hi to Howard the cat and buy a T - shirt.

Visited January 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
18 attraction reviews
“So peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My second visit!! Its just such a lovely place, sounds odd I know for a cemetery but, if you love history or sculpture art I strongly suggest you see this place. The monuments will amaze you!! The audio tour is a MUST! But, even if the office isn't open I still think you will enjoy the views. The grounds are very well taken care of. Its not in the best part of Memphis (but then again is any place in Memphis good anymore?) I have always felt safe there though. The gates close at 430 and there is a pretty nice neighborhood behind the cemetery.

Visited December 2013

Been to Elmwood Cemetery? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Elmwood Cemetery, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.