“Poor service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Cafe

Hard Rock Cafe
126 Beale Street, Memphis, TN 38103 (Midtown)
+1 901-529-0007
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #51 of 172 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: As artist Billy Swan sang, "Memphis Rocks!" Located in the cotton-trading capital of the Delta, Memphis virtually invented blues, soul and rock 'n' roll. Once well-known for heavy gambling, voodoo, murder and prostitution, Memphis is just a hard-rocking place where you can get great food and hear hot tunes. Home to both Sun Records and Stax Records, this city has always been foremost in finding talent, and the rollicking live music scene is still kicking hard today. Maybe that's why Memphis is mentioned in more songs than just about any other city. So if you're out "Walking In Memphis" on the "Memphis Streets" and you get yourself a mean case of the "Walkin' Blues," just do the electric slide or "Memphis Boogie" right on into the Hard Rock Cafe Memphis and let us ease you into "Memphis Bliss." Our historic building, set on boogie street Beale, has done time as a recording studio and a saloon - the perfect combination for an electrifying menu that'll make you stomp and shout. Memphis was also Elvis's home, and the only place he ever felt he belonged. So come on down, y'all, for a taste of Southern hospitality and "Good Rockin' Tonight," 'cause you're bound to soon feel the exact same way. And while Elvis may have left the building (on a "Memphis Train?"), you can stay as long as you want. It's a "Memphis Thing."
Bartlett, Tennessee
15 attraction reviews
“Poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My three year old and I came here after Sesame Street live at the FedExForum. First thing I asked if they had any Newcastle on tap. No, but they have it in a bottle. Okay, give me one! I went ahead and ordered Cheesy Mac with garlic bread for my son and the I got the Tupelo Chicken Tenders. Shortly thereafter she said they are out of Newcastle and recommended a beer I had never heard of that was on tap saying it was good. Thinking that she recommended another dark beer I went with her suggestion. She came back with a fuzzy yellow beer. Yuck. Anyway, my son hated the cheesy mac but loved the garlic bread so I ask the server to bring me another side of garlic bread and a to-go box for his cheesy mac. A few minutes later she brings me the check. I noticed on the check that she charged me for the Newcastle. After the server dropped off the check I didn't see her for 25 minutes!!! Not once did she come back to check on us. She didn't bring me a to-go box, didn't let me know when the bread would be out, nothing. I was so pissed by the time that she finally came out. She had in her hand a to-go box that I thought was empty but when I opened it to put his cheesy mac in, it contained cold, soggy garlic bread. I told her she needed to remove the beer and the bread for making us wait so long. She then explained that the kitchen processed the orders as they come in. Then I asked her why the bread was cold and why she didn't bother to come by and tell us it was going to take awhile? She apologized then left to take care of my bill. When she returned she still hadn't removed the bread from my bill (which, by the way was a 6-inch piece of bread for $3). I complained again about the lack of attention and while I was filling out the bill she said her manager authorized her to remove the bread or give us a dessert. At this point I just wanted to leave and that is what I told her and we walked out. I still gave her a tip (only 10%) but will never go back.

Visited April 2013
Julien S, General Manager at Hard Rock Cafe, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Chanelj5,

My name is Julien Salley. I am the General Manager here at the Hard Rock Cafe. I want to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your dining experience at our cafe. I am very disheartened to learn that we did not meet and exceed your expectations. I understand if you’re not interested in discussing the matter further, but I would like to know a little more about your experience so that I may follow up with the responsible team members involved. Can you please reach out to me at memphis_gm@hardrock.com or call me at the cafe at 901.529.0007? Thanks again for your feedback.

Best regards,

Hard Rock Café Memphis

Hamburg, Germany
“Nice food and location - poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had our diner tonight at the HRC in Memphis after a day of sightseeing. Being fans of the HRC we try to visit as many locations as possible during our travels so we knew what to expect - our expectations on food and atmosphere were met. Upon arrival we learned that due to a live venue schedule for the night there were a lot of reservations so that we had to sit at a high table which was okay for us. Drink and food orders (one regular Pepsi, one Diet Pepsi) were taken. Drinks arrived quickly, food after a decent time. While the food looked great as ever it had been missed to provide us with any cutlery and the waitress did not react too enthusiastic about us asking for the same. While eating she arrived with a tumbler to provide us with our refills and refilled both glasses from the same tumbler. I remarked that one of us had regular Pepsi while the other had ordered Diet Pepsi it turned out we had both received the Diet drinks - not a drama but that added to the overall impression. Later on, the bill was received and we handed our credit card along with a "save 5 USD" coupon. Since this was valid with a AAA-membership only we were asked to show the card. This was a justified request and we provided our card of AAA's German partner club. Coupon and both cards were collected. After 5 minutes she came back telling us she did not need our card as the 5 USD coupon would be the better deal for us rather than going for the AAA discount. This is what we had figured in the first place and why we had handed the coupon. After all, the service seemed very uncoordinate to us but this was our first such experience in a HRC so hopefully this was a sole event.
(Still, also the Rock Shop personnel was not able to process our AAA correctly. Probably it has been a hard day's night.)

Visited April 2013
Julien S, General Manager at Hard Rock Cafe, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Cranberry78,

My name is Julien Salley. I am the General Manager here at the Hard Rock Cafe. I want to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your dining experience at our cafe. I am very disheartened to learn that we did not meet and exceed your expectations. It is our goal to give every guest the dining experience that they expect and deserve. Out of all the restaurants on Beale St., you chose ours and we did not deliver on our end. I want to apologize for your less than perfect experience and assure you that we will use this as a learning opportunity for our staff. I would love to send you some complimentary gift cards for you to use at any Hard Rock of your choice. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you the kind of service that I know that we are capable of giving. Can you pelase reach out to me at memphis_gm@hardrock.com or call me at the cafe at 901.529.0007 so I may get your mailing address? Thanks again for your feedback.

Best regards,

Rural Arkansas
13 attraction reviews
“Nice experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We came here on a Friday night. We expected having to wait awhile for a table...we figured Friday night on Beale Street would be very crowded. We didn't have to wait for a table at all. We got in quick, the food was great, and our server "Banjo" was an amazing personality. Loved seeing the Johnny Cash memorabilia and the Ramones autographs! We ate upstairs, so got to see the Elvis stuff. We always visit a HRC in cities that we visit that have them. The greeter was also awesome. Thanks for such a great time, and thank you to Banjo for making a memorable meal. :)

Visited March 2013
Julien S, General Manager at Hard Rock Cafe, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
heidilore76,

Wow, thank you so much for the 5 star review! I’m very excited to hear that Banjo took excellent care of you and that you enjoyed our memorabilia. We’re certainly not the biggest Hard Rock Cafe out there, but many of our team members and guests agree that we have some of the best memorabilia in the entire Hard Rock collection visible at our cafe. Please reach out to me in advance of your next trip to the Birthplace of Rock n’ Roll, so I can make sure my team is ready with the red carpet rolled out for you! I hope to see you again soon at the hard Rock Cafe on world famous Beale Street!

Thansk again,

Montgomery, Indiana
20 attraction reviews
“Poor communication”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed the food as we always do at the Hard Rock franchise...but, pardon me I left without getting names as I was so upset. My party and I (my husband (a wounded war vet) my daughter and her boyfriend were seated and told after dinner we should go upstairs and visit the 2nd largest Elvis memorabilia exhibit. We were thrilled as Elvis was the reason we were visiting Memphis as my husband has always been a huge fan and visiting the area was on his "bucket list". As I passed the stairway in the way to the bathroom, I noticed a sign that said the upstairs was closed due to a private party. When I returned to the table, I asked the hostess about the sign since she was the one who suggested visiting the exhibit and she said she would double-check. She returned and assured us it would be ok as we could not be seated up there but would still be allowed to look around. After dinner we went upstairs and looked at a few things and then were approached by a manager (I'm guessing) who said we were not allowed up there. We explained we were up there with permission but he still refused us access. He confronted the hostess who passed the blame to someone else. I left very upset.

This was our one and one and only time visiting Memphis and the restaurant's miscommunication ended our visit in embarrassment and disappointment. I hope this review will help them with not passing the blame and communicating better to accommodate their customers.

Julien S, General Manager at Hard Rock Cafe, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
TDBaxter,

I am so sorry that we were not able to allow you to see our mezzanine level during your recent visit to The Hard Rock Cafe on Beale Street. While this space is open and available for guests to view all our Elvis Presley memorabilia almost 100% of the time, during private events we do close this space off so that parties who rent our mezzanine level for their special events may enjoy our upstairs venue privately. I apologize for this occurring while you were dining with us. I also personally discussed expectations of our clients with management and staff regarding our policies and procedures when hosting a private or semi-private event so this mistake is not repeated.

I appreciate your feedback regarding your experience with us and will certainly use these details to create a better guest experience for our future guests. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with and I hope to see you again at The Hard Rock Cafe in The Birthplace of Rock n' Roll!

Hard rock Cafe Memphis
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Ok after a 26 hour day...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

It may have been because I'd been up for the best part of 26 hours, which had included a 10 hour flight and a 6 hour time difference, to get to Memphis for my wife's surprise 40th, but I wasn't fussed about Hard Rock, it was just a place to get something to eat, a familiar face in a town of, so far, unknown eateries.
It was a rainy Thursday and downtown Memphis was pretty dead at 8pm. We went in and were greeted by a friendly chap who told us about the place, including the Elvis mezzanine, a tiny Elvis museum upstairs and introduced us to our waitress (name escapes me), ordered some beers and chatted a bit, the music was loud, made louder as there were only another couple of tables occupied. We all had a burgers in various guises and they were delicious, why wouldn't they be? It's a chain after all.....
For somewhere to go when you want to know what you're going to get it's ok. But, after spending time in Memphis there are far better burger joints selling far better burgers in much better surroundings than HardRock, Bardog & Huey's to name but 2.
There was nothing wrong with HR, it did what we needed it to do, but that's what a chain should do, be a reassuring familiar face and to that extent, it was.

Julien S, General Manager at Hard Rock Cafe, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
TCB1511,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your experience at The Memphis Hard Rock Cafe! I would like to share some additional information regarding what we have to offer at our specific location- the Elvis museum you referred to is actually the 2nd largest collection of authentic Elvis memorabilia in the world, next to only Graceland itself. I wish myself or one of my managers had known the music in the venue was louder than what you were looking for, we have an AVDJ system (very similar to an iPad), that we could've shared with you. This allows the user to not only adjust the volume of the cafe but we could also program exactly the music videos you'd like to hear.

As for our burgers, which one did you have? Was it one from our Legendary Burger Experience? Many of our guests are not aware we operate an entirely scratch recipe kitchen with literally everything made fresh from start to finish every day. From the other venues you've listed I did not see one that shares the same bragging rights and chain or not, we did create concept restaurants, here again those other venues you listed can ultimately thank us for their existence. Thank you so much for being our guest and I'd love to have the opportunity to meet you the next time you visit the Birthplace of Rock n' Roll and personally ensure that your experience with us is unlike anything you've seen before!

Thanks again,