“Oh this was so very tasty” 5 of 5 stars

901-507-1519
Improve this listing
Ranked #66 of 1,198 Restaurants in Memphis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Laurel, Mississippi
“Oh this was so very tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I arrived around 2pm Sunday afternoon and the place was packed with church folks. We enjoyed a half hour of chatting with other patrons waiting for our table. I ordered the fried chicken with green beans and pintos and my wife ordered the turkey and dressing with yams and green beans. Both plates included cornbread.

Great day it was crazy good! About the best fried chicken ever (sorry Grandma) and my wife glommed down the turkey, dressing, and yams like she hadn't eaten in three days; seriously did she have to lick the yam bowl clean? We were stuffed when we finished, but we wouldn't have forgiven ourselves if we didn't at least try the peach cobbler. Fortunately they had wheelbarrows to help get us to our car.

By the way, the meal was a terrific value as well, less than $20 for the two of us.

• Visited September 2012

Hamilton
“Was looking for great restaurants in Memphis on Tripadvisor, and this is definitely a great one.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Excellent food, very friendly staff. There is a whole bunch of history in that restaurant. Definitely worth it. We will go back again before we leave Memphis.

• Visited September 2012
Brownsburg, Indiana
“Perhaps the best soul food I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stopped in at the Four Way for an early dinner while on a business trip. I had one of the specials for the evening -- meatloaf. I also had yams and pinto beans, and on the whole, it was the most enjoyable plate of soul food I've ever had. Everything had amazing flavor, without feeling like it was "too much." The staff was very friendly, and my service was excellent throughout the meal. Parking is a snap with an adjacent lot. If you like soul food and want the real deal, do yourself a favor and hit the Four Way in Memphis. Fantastic.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Overland Park, KS
“Must stop here when in Memphis!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I'd found this restaurant here on TA before we left on our trip to Destin, FL via Memphis. My family wasn't too excited about a "soul food" restaurant, but I got them to go anyway.
We checked in at our hotel, and headed over to the restaurant. We arrived about 6:10pm. No cars in the parking lot indicated to my wife that we were about to make a mistake. We walked in and the girl at the front said they were closed. As she was saying that, the gentleman behind the cash register waved us in and told her to seat us. It turns out that they closed at 6:00. They turned the fryers and everything else back on for us!
My wife likes fried green tomatoes. No one else had ever tried them, so we ordered them as an appetizer. Wow, I'm now a big fan of fried green tomatoes. Unfortunately, my wife said that they were the best ones she'd ever had, so I'm thinking I'll be disappointed by them from anyplace else.
Our entrees came out a few minutes later. Everything was incredible. I'd ordered the fried chicken, and it was some of the best I've ever had. My daughter ordered the fried fish, and she loved it. My wife and step daughters plates were almost clean by the time we were done too. (I don't remember what they ordered) Unfortunately we weren't there on a Mac 'n Cheese day. I was really looking forward to trying that. Some food is available every day, some only on certain days of the week. But don't worry, all of them are excellent.
Our waitress was great, especially considering we kept her over an hour later than she should have been there. She answered all of our questions patiently, and was very attentive during our meal. Of course we were the only people there. I've seen some reviews knocking the service, but it's a pretty good sized restaurant, and I know it has to be packed at times so sometimes it takes a while for them to get around to you. But when the food is this good, who cares? If you have to complain about something, complain that there's not a Four Way in every city in the United States.
The owners are a brother and sister team. If I recall correctly, my wife and I spoke to Willie. He's a 73 yr old man who has no idea what Tripadvisor is. We told him about how we found his restaurant, and how highly they were rated. We couldn't believe they were ranked so high. We showed him some of the reviews posted by members on TA, and he was geniunely grateful for the praise.
We stopped here for a great meal and that's exactly what we got...and more. We met some great people. We drove on from Memphis to Destin the next morning. While we had some very good meals during the next week and a half, I can honestly say that this is the one place that I wish I could have eaten at again. (We drove through Nashville on the trip home, or we would have stopped in again)
EAT HERE!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aurora, Illinois
“Great food and felt right at home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is the perfect pairing to a visit to the National Civil Rights Museum or the Stax Records Museum. This is just plain old REAL food. There's easy parking right by the restaurant and the staff could not have been friendlier. We ordered the fried catfish with greens and green beans and the fried chicken with yams and greens. Everything was outstanding and tasted so fresh. The portions are ample but we saved room for dessert and enjoyed our peach cobbler and sweet potato pie. This is the type of place where the owner comes out and sees how you liked the meal. He was so nice and talked about how MLK used to eat there and how his son was recently in as well. This is a great way to break up a BBQ tour if you happen to be on one like we were.

• Visited June 2012