“Good ribs, poor service” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Blues City Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 1,198 Restaurants in Memphis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Late Night Food, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2ND STREET
Transit: Bus and Taxi pick up and drop off are done directly across the street from our front door along with a Trolley Stop about one block away.
Lawrence, Massachusetts
“Good ribs, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The waiter told us that they had the world's best ribs but couldn't really provide any details about the preparation (or did not want to converse). The ribs were really good and tender but I'm not sure that these are the best in the world, haha. Personally, I like it more spicy but they had good hot sauce available. We also had fried catfish with a very boring batter. The waiter was very disinterested, never even gave us a choice of sides, just brought the food with fries (which were actually really good). Wine is served in plastic cups. Waiter never asked if we wanted anything else but dropped the check as soon as we had emptied our plates. We pretty much got kicked out in the rain, and the place wasnt even busy at that time. Would not go back there, but I would still recommend to have the ribs if you are on a BBQ tasting trip.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were staying at the Peabody downtown Memphis,The area is still in a recession, The valet said to try blue city BBQ , there was no waiting for a dirty table, so we asked to have it cleaned by grumpy waitress, she must hav been the owner the way we were treated only the owner would car if you ever come back, So after our table finally got clean enough to touch, I ordered the full slab of ribs waiting to be asked what kind they were I was told you don't get a choice, Then I was told I didn't want fries could I have boiled potatoes, no you may not they would have to come as. Side, I said fine, Then my wife ordered ??? Chicken ns salad , after the waitress took our order a second or to later I told her to forget about the order so we left, we dined back at our hotel food and service was excellent all three nights. H downtown bealle street area was protected by police as it's a crime area you are scanned for weapons trying o go to the tourist areas in search of bars, shops and restaurants stay away from bealle street

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lismore, Australia
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This isn't the BBQ around, although the stuffed mushrooms were great. The ribs and pulled pork and sides were okay. We got talking with the guys who worked there late one night as we waited for our order and they were great, super friendly and very helpful. Where else can you order BBQ at 1.30 in the morning and go pick it up. The gumbo was good actually.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Memphis, Tennessee
“The total southern/blues/BBQ experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

The food was delish!! The gumbo, my personal fav, although the ribs are to die for too. The complete Beale Street experience, and good. What more could you ask for? Doug treated us like royalty and that's priceless!! Def check it out. Anyone visiting Beale must give it a try!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Indiana
“Memphis ribs!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Best ribs I have ever had!!! I noticed that my clothes seemed to smell like the place along time after I left:(