“Best Ribs Ever!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bar-b-q Shop Restaurant

Bar-b-q Shop Restaurant
1782 Madison Ave, Memphis, TN 38104-2642 (Midtown)
901-272-1277
Neighborhood: Midtown
Westwood, Massachusetts
“Best Ribs Ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I were in Memphis with friends this April and were loking for authentic BBQ. We found it at The Bar-B-Q Shop. Very casual with amazing food. Be ready to get your hands dirty with sauce. We all loved our ribs, cole slaw, beans and bisquits! This is the real deal for BBQ, if thats what you're looking for.

• Visited April 2013

Powell, Ohio
“Pretty Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I don't share some of the opinions of folks who have raved about the food here. I think it was good, and the service was good. Parking on street was difficult and parking in back didn't thrill me. We waited for a space to open up on Madison Ave in front of the place. We had dry rubbed ribs and glazed ribs. Both were meaty, both were moist. But the dry rubbed rack was tough. It wasn't tough because of the rub, it was just tough meat. I worked on 5 or 6 bones but eventually gave up, too much work going around the split bones and grizzle. The glazed were more tender, originally wanted to order the wet, but server talked us into the glazed. Would still like to try the wet, maybe they would have been more to my liking. We got coleslaw and beans with the meal, and some bread. I liked the finely chopped slaw fine, didn't care for the baked beans which I normally love. There was some ingredient not to my liking, not a smoke which I like and not kicky. It tasted like they had cooked the beans with a big piece of fatty meat. Sorry I can't put my finger on it better. I'd like to try them again to see if they taste the same next time.

Overall, if you are in the area, give this highly thought of restaurant a try, if you are not in the neighborhood, I personally wouldn't take the extra effort to eat here again. By the way, if you and you like HOT sauces, the hot BBQ sauce here is hot. Believe them and believe me, only try it if you like really hot sauces (I did!)

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manassas, Virginia
“Finger lickin' BBQ !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We went to Memphis really to see Graceland , but once there, realized that this was our chance to experience the famous Memphis BBQ. After getting the advice of some locals, off we went to find the BBQ Shop on Madison st in central downtown Memphis. From the outside, the restaurant was nothing to catch your eye, but upon entering, you realize that inside there's some serious chowing down on everything from BBQ bologna to brisket to BBQ chicken and BBQ pork...they even specialize in BBQ spaghetti!! Once we started on our heaping plates, our eyes rolled upwards as we began singing praises. Dang, this is the stuff of BBQ legends!!! I tell you truthfully, we found a little bit of heaven in the BBQ Shop in Memphis.

• Visited May 2013
Madison, Indiana
“Great BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We at here for a late lunch and it was so good and I ate so much I didn't have dinner. We had the dry rub ribs, pulled pork, brisket, and bbq spaghetti along with sides. Everything was great and I didn't want to stop eating. This is the first time I have had dry rub ribs and I highly recommend getting them this way.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Falkner, Mississippi
“Great Memphis BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We had the Ribs dry rubbed, they were the best they we have ever eaten. Also the BBQ Nachos are the best there at the BBQ Shop. We arrived about closing time, but was treated like we were the first guest of the day. Great service. Will be back. Thank you to the entire staff at the BBQ Shop in Midtown Memphis.

• Visited March 2013