“Great B-B-Q” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tops Bar-B-Q

Tops Bar-B-Q
1286 Union Ave, Memphis, TN 38104-3414 (Midtown)
901-725-7527
Neighborhood: Midtown
Ramsey, Minnesota
“Great B-B-Q”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We were staying at the La Quinta and Tops Bar-B-Q is located just down the street. The parking lot was not busy and we wondered if it would be a good place to eat. While there the place filled with customers. You can eat there or take out. It is a very casual, small restaurant with booths, tables & chairs. The staff were friendly. The food is served on disposable plates along with plastic silverware. My husband had the bbq half rack of ribs with FF, cole slaw, beans & toasted bread. He thought the ribs were tender and tasty and the beans were good. I had the beef brisket plate along with cole slaw, potato salad & toasted bread. The brisket and potato salad were great. The cole slaw was a little bland compared to what we are accustom to. The meat serving size was very generous. The potato salad and cole slaw were served in small plastic containers which I thought looked skimpy, however in the end, there was more than enough. We were very full!

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Memphis, Tennessee
“Childhood Memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I remember as a child the family going to Tops to buy skins and the pull pork sandwiches with slaw on top. They use to put skins in the oven at home and douce them down in hot sauce and go to town. I wish we had one of these here in Michigan. Every time I go home I make sure I go there soon as I touched down. The closest thing we have here to Memphis bbq is Famous Daves, which I rank second behind Tops

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Stick to the Ribs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

On a recent trip to Memphis, I ate ribs at four well known destinations: Tops, Central, Rendezvous, and Blues City Cafe. Although this was the lowest brow of the four locations, I liked the Memphis dry rub ribs here the best. Compared to the other three places, the ribs here were the most aggressively seasoned. In fact, at Central and Rendezvous I couldn't taste any discernible seasoning beyond what I would expect from some salt and pepper and some time in the smoker.

My rating is based on the ribs only, since that was the focus of my culinary tour. I could knock a star or two off for the small sides and the flavorless chopped BBQ pork. But I would also add a star or two back for the ladies working behind the counter who took the orders and just cranked out the food.

I can understand why Memphis is one of the fattest cities in the country. If I lived near Tops Bar-B-Q I would be even more overweight than I already am.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Tired restaurant serving pretty average BBQ. We went for dinner but the place closed for the night as soon as we left at about 7pm.

I felt like we could have found better BBQ eleswhere.

Visited December 2013
Dexter, Missouri
“WORTH THE STOP!! Loved the BBQ and Burgers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We have passed this place for years and never stopped. Not any longer. It was quick service and great burgers and BBQs. Will make this a more frequent stop for sure.

Visited January 2014