“Best spicy fried chicken ever” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken

Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken
310 S Front St, Memphis, TN 38103 (Downtown)
+1 901-527-4877
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 1,272 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, South American, Chicken Wings
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: At Gus's we're all about the food! Gus's restaurants are low-key with a southern flare where you will hear soulful classics emitting from the jukebox. Many people call Gus's a "blues-infused southern eatery." At Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken we focus on the chicken! We begin by using quality chicken which is treated to our special preparation techniques before being marinated in our proprietary batter. Once it's properly fried to a crisp golden-brown, we serve it up with a plate full of southern inspired sides and a cold beer or sweet tea. The result? Customers line up at our door before we're even open!
USA
“Best spicy fried chicken ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We decided to go here after reading all the great reviews and we were not disappointed!! The chicken had amazing flavor and nice and juicy. The fried green Tomatoes was just ok. The VIP drink was yummy.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Better then KFC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Travelling around the US, we found lots of places that make out they are the "Worlds Best", or "World Famous". We hadn't heard of Gus's Fried Chicken, so Australia must not be part of the "world". Anyway, we thought we try it out to see what all the fuss is about. After a 30 minute wait to get a seat, I can see what they mean. Yes, the fried chicken is very good. However we only KFC to compare it too. Service was excellent. I like the beans and the coleslaw. The local beer was cold and very refreshing. Great atmosphere and more of that southern hospitality. If you've only experienced KFC, then do yourself a favor and get to a real fried chicken place, like Gus's. Please brings Gus's to Australia.

Colorado
“Not to be missed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I'm very glad we made it to Gus'. Crispy, juicy fried chicken with a good amount of spice. The cole slaw was also excellent. Great service and a great experience.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Monett
“EXCELLENT CHICKEN & FRIENDLY EMPLOYEES”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was rated high on TravelAdvisor and since I live by TA we made this our first stop! We were NOT disappointed! I loved how it was basically a hole in the wall and the decor was neat but not something that was fancy. It was just very welcoming and boy did we enjoy our food!

We try to limit our fried food intake but we couldn't pass up Gus's famous fried chicken! It was wonderful! Almost to spicy for me but I simply asked for water with my beer to help with the hotness. I'm a wimp though when it comes to anything hot and spicy. I enjoyed every bite of it though. We also had the fried pickles with ranch and they were great too! The sides were great - beans, cole slaw and fries were all great.

Anyone in Memphis should go find one of their locations. You won't be disappointed.

St. Louis MO
“super spicy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This place came highly recommended to us but when we got there, the chicken was almost too spicy to eat. I guess we were not expecting that. The fried green tomatos were the best i've ever had and the fried pickles and cole slaw were amazing. I'd for sure go back, but prepare myself for spicy chicken!