“Average Restaurant” 3 of 5 stars
Review of J. Alexander's

J. Alexander's
2670 N Germantown Pkwy, Memphis, TN 38133 (Walnut Grove - Shelby Farms PD)
901-381-9670
Neighborhood: Walnut Grove - Shelby Farms PD
Kennett, Missouri
“Average Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

It was a pricey lunch. Just the two of us for lunch with a glass of wine and a beer cost $80 with an appropriate tip. Service was excellent, and their friendliness is unsurpassed. However, the food is just so so in quality. We tried their mac & cheese which so many like and found it wanting. If you should choose to eat at this restaurant, be sure to try the key lime pie. It was the outstanding part of the meal. Houston's is so much better!

• 3 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Memphis, Tennessee, USA
“Consistently good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This restaurant has a great atmosphere and low lighting; would be a great date place. Food is consistently good especially the daily specials. The drinks are pricey but good selection. I have eaten here many times and would recommend this.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
United States
“Best service I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We come here around once a year for special occasions. Our waitress (I think her name was Cara) was amazing. She would come by every 5 minutes and refill drinks and clean the table , all while taking our orders and answering questions about the menu. She was very friendly as well.

The food was excellent. It seems a little pricey, but makes sense considering the huge portions they serve. The steaks, salads, pork, and chicken are all excellent.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Harrison, Arkansas, United States
“Great food, horrible atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I probably got one of me best steaks I've had in a long time, but was overpriced. A strip steak and skinny fries 22 dollars. The atmosphere is awful. We were seated in a booth right beside the kitchen. Couldn't even talk to husband. I spoke with the manager and asked him if he would want to sit in this booth with his wife, he admitted NO. Ended up giving us a free dessert which was good, but not sure our meal was worth what we paid. Drink glass was empty a lot. Probably partly bc of where we sat. (Kind of off the beaten path). No extras like bread or salad unless you paid extra for them.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Nice respite after a busy day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I found this moderately upscale restaurant after a long day of driving from Austin TX to Memphis TN. Upon the recommendation of the receptionist at the motel where we were staying we found the place easilyand had a delicious meal with a very friendly staff, quiet surroundings, and very subdued lighting. My husband had his usual steak and it was quite good. I always opt for something less traditional and ordered the Ahi tuna, rare served with a mound (literally) of very tasty salad. Wasabi and shaved ginger were served on the side, as per usual. The price was moderate and we decompressed after a long day on the road. I would definitely make a stop at J Alexander in the future.

• 5 of 5 stars Food