“Unique Dining Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bari

Bari
22 S Cooper St, Memphis, TN 38104 (Midtown)
(901) 722-2244
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bari is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #111 of 1,199 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Madison Ave.
Memphis, Tennessee
“Unique Dining Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

They sat us in a wonderful private booth in the back of the restaurants with leather seats and pillows…it felt like a hip restaurant in NYC…the cheese plates are a treat

Visited June 2014

Cordova, Tennessee
“Consistently good, authentic Italian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We've been to Bari several times now (most recently in early June 2014). The food is consistently good, especially the Carbonara (the orzo with crab also deserves a mention). For fairly authentic Italian food in Memphis, this is one of only two restaurants I'd highly recommend. Their cheese menu CAN NOT be surpassed! It is unbelievable, and the cheeses are well worth the money. We even got the big $150 sample-every-cheese platter once with some friends and we did not regret it one bit.

The portion sizes are smaller than usual, so that you can indulge in multiple courses (in the true Italian style), but not so small that you will leave still feeling hungry. Make sure you ask about any specials, especially soups - we've had a couple of soups on special that were divine. There's also usually a fresh fish that's not on the regular menu. Be sure to snag the fried squash blossoms if you can!

The prices are are moderate to high; if you have several courses it will not be a cheap meal, but it will be a delicious one. The atmosphere is lively and energetic. Do not come here expecting a quiet, romantic meal. Service isn't quite as consistent as the food; we've had exceptional service and so-so service. Usually everyone is very polite and knowledgeable, but service can sometimes feel slow and inattentive.

Parking is usually not an issue, and the neighborhood has recently been renovated and rejuvenated (including a huge parking garage a block across the street). Reservations are highly recommended. Seating is somewhat limited and this restaurant is popular, especially on weekends. You can reserve seating online on their website!

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Memphis TN
“Outstanding meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is a great restaurant - mostly small plates, and every dish I have had has been great. Wonderful salads, pastas, main (large plate) courses, desserts, drinks, wine, service ... don't miss this neighborhood gem.

Visited May 2014
Memphis, Tennessee
“Bari is a consistently pleasant and reliable experience from drinks to dessert, everything is beautifully presented and perfectl”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Starting with drinks, Brad Pitts makes the best martini in town and Larry's no 2, a refreshing grapefruit vodka drink was made gluten free especially for me.
I've been gluten free for two years and Bari is my first choice for dining out most evenings. Yes, the lovely small servings of pasta are marvelous, but the abundant and tasty appetizers that we order, fresh Buffala mozzarella (the BEST), marinated zucchini and peppers and procciutto San Daniele keep me away from the delicious bread while we await a crisp and perfect salad. I love the Romaine salad (with just the right amount if anchovy). My husband prefers the Lettuga (more grapefruit)!
The fish of the evening is usually my first choice, fresh and light. A perfect balance of olive oil, tomato, sometimes tiny chopped red onion enhances but does not overwhelm Swordfish or Tuna. The whole Bronzino is fantastic and I love ordering my own verdure (vegetables) on the side. The red potatoes are amazing and a great sub for those who annoy eat bread or pasta!
The rib eye special can be wonderful and tempting. It can also be split, especially if you order a pasta course and vegetables to accompany. Bisteca is a good second choice for red meat if you are not as hungry.
We can eat multiple courses without leaving feeling full and sluggish and there's the light and tasty grapefruit dessert if we want something sweet, light and healthy.
When I was eating all things gluten, I really mourned the loss of meatballs and Tiramisu, taken off of the menu years ago, but now ... it makes no difference!
Bari is an excellent place to take good friends for a long dinner and great conversation. The Italian wine list is well chosen. We always take out of town guests (especially well traveled ones) to Bari to make a great first impression of Memphis. BBQ can wait for a Saturday lunch!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Germantown, Tennessee
“Not a good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

I went to Bari recently with some friends expecting a great meal, but was disappointed. The service was good, but the food just ok. The entrees were very small for the price. I ordered the scallops and only received 3, are you kidding? I also ordered a salad and side and was still hungry and I am not a big person. Then to top it off, when it came time for the desert menu and after having a chance to review, was informed that the selection that included sliced grapefruit (which is what I wanted) was not available and had not been available for awhile. Remove it from the menu if you don't intern to serve. I doubt I will return, there are several better options in Memphis.

Visited May 2014