“Go for hopefully a better experience...................” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Erling Jensen Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 1,199 Restaurants in Memphis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Poplar
fort lee , new jersey
“Go for hopefully a better experience...................”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We are on the fence here. Perhaps a second try is in order. Very nice staff with beautiful table setting and very nice staff. Erling comes out almost at every course. A nice man and we just could not give him the negative comments. Here they are, good and bad. Fabulous warm rolls with perfect temp butter served. We had the prixe fixe Sunday special , three courses for $38. The PEI mussels were not plump and were sandy. Good broth but who could enjoy them with sand? The lamb was touted by our server as what he is known for. Veggies were grilled with no flavor, lamb crust not really delicious. Dessert chosen was melon with prosciutto and sauce. Hard prosciutto? Weird. A nice touch was the intermezzo. We ordered the lobster pancake as an extra & it was the best part of the meal. It does deserve a second chance.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Stellar Memphis Fine Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had the pleasure of taking my favourite dining companion to Erling Jensen's this Saturday evening, and as usual it was a superb experience, with a few exceptions. We arrived just prior to our 1930 reservations and were greeted at the door by the hostess. For the first time, I felt almost unwelcome at this fine dining establishment. From tone of voice to attitude, the hostess was unwelcoming. I'm not sure if it was the fact that my companion and I are both visibly tattooed or if this is the young lady's typical demeanor, but it was a slight tarnish on an otherwise perfect evening. We were shown to a table just beyond the bar and our drink orders were taken immediately. We were offered the wine list, but declined on this particular occasion. Our waitress returned with our drinks promptly and provided us with menus and an overview of the evening special. After having time to review the menu, we decided to start with the seared foie gras and saffron crawfish bisque. For entrees, my dining companion opted to have the rack of lamb and a side of brussel sprouts. I chose the daily special, halibut with crawfish and pasta. While we were waiting for our appetizers, we were offered a sample of the chef's duck confit spring roll. It was amazing, and the only complaint I have is that it left me wanting more. If it makes it to the menu, it is something I will definitely order. The bisque and foie gras arrived promptly, and we immediately tucked in. The bisque was good but a bit bland, in that it lacked salt. I can say it is the first time I've ever felt the need to add salt to a dish at EJ. With this slight addition, the bisque was perfect. The foie gras changed my life. I tried it once several years ago and was certain that I did not like it. My dining companion was anxious to try it, and I cannot deny her anything. It was the right decision. It was perfectly prepared, and the brioche and cranberry stuffed apple were excellent accoutrements. We finished both in short order and awaited the arrival of our entrees, which took no time at all. The rack of lamb was cooked rare, as ordered, and by all accounts was excellent. I am not a lamb fan, so I cannot give an accurate assessment. The only complaint is that the pecan, mustard, garlic and molasses crust was a bit charred in places, leaving a bit of a bitter after taste. The halibut was also excellent, although a little drier than I prefer. It was well seasoned, and the pasta was an excellent companion, as were the large chunks of crawfish that comprised the sauce. All in all, both entrees were excellent. To finish, we opted to have the chocolate soufflé and coffee. It was divine. It is a very "grown-up" take on soufflé, and a bit rich, so it is definitely a dessert to share. The Maker's Mark milk chocolate crème Anglaise and fresh strawberries and blackberries complemented the rich, dark nature of the dessert, making it the perfect close to an exceptional meal. Overall, we were well pleased with service and the quality of the meal. It was not "perfect", but I would venture to say the foibles here pale in comparison to the best night at the local chain establishment. If you enjoy fine dining, you would be hard pressed to find a better meal in Memphis.

• Visited July 2013
Springfield, Missouri
“Best time ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been many times to this restaurant in Memphis, TN, located east of the Poplar Ave exit of I240. Everything came together this most recent visit to make this a superb dinner. Standouts were filet of beef finished by a Grand Marnier soufflé (not on the menu, but available). Service sometimes has been spotty and even odd; this time wonderful and attentive. If this place clicks, it can be absolutely fantastic

• Visited July 2013
se nc
“If you're serious about food, do not believe the excellent reviews.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Misguided clientele must revel in misguided over pretentiousness--if it's expensive, then it' must be good. 1st bottle of wine ordered wasn't in stock. Other clues meant the wine list was outdated. The slightly gamey sweetbreads sat in a flat sauce, prob from a demiglace Gold packet. The halibut was overcooked, on top of typical squid ink pasta, unpeeled asparagus, all easily replicable at home. For $35, expect way more. The filet was generous, but forget the 80's flat cracker and rosemary garnish--overdone & unnecessary and for $45! Menu pays no attention to seasonal ingredients. Skip dessert. Decor is repro Picassos, no windows. Service is amateurish. For the price, prob the worst value ever.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great Experience for a Special Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We reserved space for a group of 23 for a rehearsal dinner. The service, atmosphere, and food were all excellent. The presentation was perfect and the staff was very flexible and pleasant. This was my second visit. I visit Memphis quite often and will definitely be back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Erling Jensen Restaurant? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Erling Jensen Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.