“Upscale but disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Erling Jensen Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 1,198 Restaurants in Memphis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Poplar
Memphis, Tennessee
“Upscale but disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Have eaten there 2-3 times. Bar is small but fine (expensive). Food is expensive and, unfortunately for me, forgettable.

“Exceptional experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had heard about this restaurant for years but never remembered to make a reservation in time. Big mistake! We had been missing out on quite the dining experience. The service and expertise of the staff was to write home about. We started with lobster pancakes, which were creamy rich crepes, that could've been a meal. For our entrees we had buffalo tenderloins with a wonderful bearnaise and rack of lamb, both are specialties of the house. The waiter recommended the perfect wine to accompany the meal. I would've loved to try the dessert but could find no room. Although on the pricy side I would have to say its worth every penny!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Springfield, Missouri
“fois gras turned into French toast?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have been enjoying my visits to Erling Jensen for more than ten years. My last visit, however, was decidedly less than what I had hoped for. First of all, if you are a fan of fois gras, don't bother with this unless you happen to like this dish smothered with honey and treated as if it were an IHOP breakfast dish complete with French toast. The Dover sole was very good, but the total bill, at least for Memphis, was incredibly high. On my next pass through Memphis I ate instead at Circa: much better! My service was way too aggressive. All told, I am really going to have to rethink this place.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Evans, Georgia
“Excellent yet unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Ate here with collleagues this past week. Incredible attention to detail and presentation. Probably one of the top 3 dinners I have ever eaten . A bit pricey but once you see and eat the food, and experience the service,you will not be disappointed. Well worth the time! Would definitely return. Great impression for a business meal or special occasion.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Germantown, Tennessee
“Our favorite Memphis restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We think Erling Jensen's is #1 in Memphis. The food and service are consistently excellent. The food presentation is very creative, and the selections are unique. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. The fresh, hot rolls are a great start to the meal, and it's hard to stop at one! One of our salads included crispy Camembert and a blueberry/blackberry compote; another had asparagus and crisp prosciutto. We each got a different fish entrée. My Roasted Black Grouper was tender and the sides were delicious. We were too full for dessert this time, but I highly recommend the Blueberry Marzipan Cobbler. Don't miss out on this fine dining restaurant.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Erling Jensen Restaurant? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Erling Jensen Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.