“Spacious Rooms with Average Service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #7 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Atlanta, Georgia
“Spacious Rooms with Average Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Let me start with the good:

My room was really spacious. I had booked a queen loft and I had plenty of space to do work outside of the bedroom area. I could have comfortably stayed in this room for a week if I had to. The breakfast provided in the morning had good variety and staff kept the items replenished. The morning staff was very friendly and present. The location is perfect - within walking distance to all the attractions of downtown Memphis and within walking distance to the City offices (for others who are there on business).

Now the not-so-good:

I arrived just after 8:00 pm and I pulled into the valet area but it took a few minutes for someone to greet me. I had all of my luggage out of the car by the time the valet was able to get my keys. He was very attentive after that as there was no one at the front desk. I waited close to 10 minutes while the valet attempted to reach the front desk clerk. This was a business trip for me and I was on a tight schedule so I was slightly agitated by the wait. Once the clerk came downstairs he was also very friendly and attentive.

My first room appeared fine. I did a quick unpacking to change clothes for a dinner meeting and when I went to hang my toiletry bag on the back of the door in the bathroom I discovered a used towel hanging there. I didn't have much time so I threw the towel on the floor and informed the desk clerk on my way out what had happened. I was concerned that the room had not been cleaned between guests, but simply cleaned for a continued stay but did not expect anything other than the towel to be removed. He did offer to allow me to change rooms when I returned from dinner and I did so. The second room appeared to be clean.

When I woke up in the morning I found not only my bill but the bill of my neighbor under my door.

This was a nicely renovated historic building with a lot of potential, but my trip would have been more pleasant without the inconveniences.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
rooftopviews, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for being loyal to Marriott and staying a the Residence Inn by Marriott Memphis Downtown on your recent stay in Memphis. We appreciate you and your business and hope to see you again in the future.

I apologize about that you had to wait for a guest service agent upon your stay and hope you will give us another try next time you are in Memphis for business!

Tracey Henninger,CMP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

I have to preface this by saying that the Residence Inn was there for my business collegue and I in a pinch after our reservation at another hotel was lost. The desk was quick and helpful when we needed it most. But I have to say our 2-bedroom was in a bit of disarray. The mirrored closet doors were resting face down in the closet when we got in and neither light in my room worked. I'm sure a call downstairs would fix the problem quickly, but we were literally staying for 8 hours before our flight the next day. Good location, desk, and size of the room...it's just an old bulilding.

Stayed March 2014
We are sorry if your stat at the Residence Inn by Marriott Memphis Downtown was not satisfactory. We aim to provide all our guests with outstanding service and apologize your guest suite was not satisfactory.

We hope you will give us another try! If I can assist your with any future reservations, please call at 901-578-3700

Tracey Henninger<CMP
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

The location is excellent, very easy and safe walk to Beale St plus other eateries nearby. Our room was less than great; quite tatty and the temperature was either too hot or too cold - the heater/cooler unit was very noisy. Our room was one of the to-be-renovated rooms so I guess this will be fixed soon. Breakfast was edible and the view from the rooftop outstanding. Good to have a coin-operated laundry to use. Overall a fairly comfortable stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Carthage, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed in a suite that had an upper level bed that gave additional privacy as I was staying with a friend. This hotel has a trolley stop right outside, quick walk to the river (actually a quick walk to most things downtown) and the rooftop view is simply amazing! The room was absolutely spotless (with an amazing view) and the breakfast was wonderful with lots of choices. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We lucked out and found a parking spot right out front so we didn't require valet. Highly recommended, absolutely NO complaints!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
rooftopviews, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and glad you had a fabulous stay during your visit to Memphis! I do agree our views from the rooftop are very beautiful and one of the best views you can find of the Mississippii River in the city!

We hope you your travlels will bring you back again soon.

Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed in this Hotel last year and loved everything about it from the delightful, friendly staff to the pillows on the bed. So close to everything and a short drive to Graceland which was our main reason for being there. I will definitely revisit Memphis and this Hotel. Thanks guys!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and had a great visit at Graceland! We appreciate you and your business and hope to see you again soon

Tracey
Upstate NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The greeting and follow up are the best. The construction (I was warned before) was much louder than I anticipated. It's an elegant property with aged elevators (better that the new POS) at other places. I would happily stay here again. And it's very close Beale Street.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
rooftopviews, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to share you stay with others on our Trip Advisor Site. We will be finished our full hotel renovation the end of March and we hope you will come back and see us in the Spring or Summer. If I can assist you with any reservations, please contact me at 901-578-3788.

Many Thanks!
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

This charming hotel is in the heart of Memphis. A trolley stop just outside the side door makes the hotel the perfect place for Convention Center visitors or those soaking up the good food and music that Memphis has to offer.

The folks who run this hotel are tops in hospitality. Carl Washington (the operations manager) greated our family by name as we walked through the door -- even though it was our very first stay. He went above and beyond to make us feel like welcomed guests. We had the same experience with Hugh and every employee who worked at the front desk. Even the housekeeper wrote us a sweet note when we left behind a tip for her (housekeeping was superb).

The folks who run a hotel make all the difference in the world. This hotel will be my first choice if and when I return to Memphis.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank You for such kind remarks about the staff at the Residence Inn by Marriott Memphis Downtown! Our goal is to ensure outstanding guests service to everyone at the hotel and we want every guests to have a wonderful stay and return again and again.

Glad you enjoyed the historic trolley and its great location!

We appreciate you being loyal to Marriott and hope to see you soon!

Tracey Henninger,CMP

Been to Residence Inn Memphis Downtown? Share your experiences!