“Good for long stay or need for extra room.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Columbia, Missouri
“Good for long stay or need for extra room.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

The hotel was okay overall; the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I felt safe in the neighborhood. The location was a little odd, but was not that inconvenient. It was about 7 miles from downtown. The hotel is fenced, with raising gates in front (which were always raised when we came thru). Initially pulling into the hotel, we saw Memphis police drive thru the parking lot (I allowed myself to think it was just as a security measure and should make me feel more safe).

The hotel does have internet connection thru an Ethernet cable (which is in a plastic Ziploc baggie hanging in the closet). The only wireless is in the lobby. I confirmed with the front desk and there was no fee for the internet.

I shared this room with 4 other family members. It was perfect for us b/c this was more of a family reunion of the sorts and spent a lot of time just talking. So having the living area will was beneficial to us. The two beds were in a separate room from the living area, which had a couch (makes into a bed), chair, table and chairs, sink, microwave, tv and frig. It was nice to have the seating for us to all set and talk. A lot more enjoyable than all of us cramming into a normal hotel room with only beds to set on. There were also 2 flat panel tvs, one in each room. I had a few minor issues with the room, which I should have mentioned to staff but didn’t. The plastic toilet handle was chipped and broken, the shower curtain eyelet had ripped and there was a nasty yellow stain on the living room chair. My husband went down to get extra towels and was told would have to wait for them to be brought to the room. I had to call 20 minutes later to see where the towels were. A little frustrating but nothing to ruin my stay.

I didn’t use the exercise facilities, but did walk by it and it looked nice. There is not a pool. This looks more of a hotel for business.

We did eat breakfast at the Medallion restaurant. Unless you don’t want to leave the hotel, I would suggest eating somewhere else. We ordered off the menu on day 1, presentation was nice but the food just wasn’t that good. Day 2 we ate the buffet. It was $8.95 and the food on the buffet probably would not pass a state inspection if someone was to drop by. Food was room temperature at best. We really shouldn’t have paid for this meal. It was the worst breakfast I’ve ever had. I didn’t think the staff was very nice in here either. They definitely move at their own pace doing other things and you literally have to ask for service.

I would stay here again if I needed the living area space again. But if I was just needing a place to sleep, I would not pay the extra price for this hotel. I don’t intend to stray people away from staying here, b/c I would stay again, but my hope is maybe my issues will be fixed and improved upon.

• Liked — The large floor plan and helpful front desk.
  • Disliked — Location, restaurant (food & staff), proper upkeep.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

We checked in on Saturday. Even though is was only one night, we were very impressed with our room. It was clean and spacious. Have a minor problem with our room key but it was addressed quickly. FREE parking only. The hotel is about 10 min from downtown. The hotel was in nice area. We slept great after a night on beale street. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights. What a wonderful stay! The Staff was super friendly and the room was awesome. We had a small suite and the furnishings were all modern and very comfortable. The only downside is the shower wasn't scrubbed well, however, I have discovered that most hotel/motel showers aren't. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone and plan to stay here again.

• Liked — Great staff, very comfortable room and very convenient.
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Laramie, Wyoming
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

I needed special accommodations. I needed a room cleaned with unscented material. Not only was it not cleaned with unscented material, the lobby smells moldy and mildewy. If you have lung problems (COPD, Asthma, etc.) don't even consider this hotel.

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — checking in
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Birmingham, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

Stayed here for something at the University of Memphis, and I was surprised at the quality of this hotel. The staff was helpful. Room service for breakfast was good. And the room was huge for the price. It is in a sub-par part of town, but all of the University is. Also, the sheets on the bed seemed low-quality. But everything else was just fine. Would stay here again for another University of Memphis event.

Stayed October 2007
Sunset Beach, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

While in Memphis we stayed the Holiday Inn - University of Memphis...what a fabulous hotel. The staff is very accomodating and friendly, the lobby is gorgeous and the room was very spacious and nicely decorated. The hotel is only 7 miles from downtown Memphis and a short distance to Graceland. It is situated in a very nice Memphis neighborhood. In fact, other than Graceland and Beale St., this very well may be the highlight of the trip. Memphis is not a place I need to visit again.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

I stayed here while my daughter and I visited Rhodes College for an open house. It is a very nice Holiday Inn, nicer than any other Holiday Inn I've stayed in. Very clean and well run. It is run by the Hospitality school of University of Memphis. The service was excellent. I didn't try the restaurant but it looked nice. The young man at the desk was very helpful in recommending a restaurant since we were there on Sunday night and the restaurant in the hotel was closed. He also called to be sure we were happy with the room. Really great experience.

Stayed October 2007

Been to Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis? Share your experiences!