“had a nice stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites Airport - American Way

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn & Suites Airport - American Way to your Saves list
Comfort Inn & Suites Airport - American Way
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4225 American Way, Memphis, TN 38118 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express American Way/Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #57 of 134 hotels in Memphis
cairo, il
“had a nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

had a nice stay at this location. room was comfortable, spacious and very clean. accessability to interstate was only minutes away and staff was helpful with directions. the staff was very friendly, especially mr. cotton, and made our small group feel like we at home.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

Like everything around it expect this hotel to close soon. Do not go pass Democrat Road, you may not return, they lock the parking lot gates after 5pm, one evening my entry card stop working therefore I was stranded on the back parking lot. TALK ABOUT SCARY, I had to walk around to the front of the building. The bar only had few choices and the restaurant was not clean enough for me to eat there. Staff was nice, hotel is not too nasty however it is terribly dated. Holiday Inn should be ashamed.

Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Johnson City, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

Spent a week here on a business trip. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was extremely clean and comfy. Location isn't that great although it is fairly close to the airport. There are only fast food restaurants in the immediate area but not much else. I never really had a problem with noise although I keep my a/c or heat running constantly to help me sleep. I never had a chance to check out the pool or fitness areas but they appeared to be nice. My only issues would be with the location and very poor internet service. They advertise "high speed" but it's far from that. At best, it's slightly better than dialup which was frustrating for me when trying to take care of work issues online.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Checked in and room had peanut shells on the floor. Refrigerator did not work. Called the front desk and explained problems with room. Desk clerk was very nice and gave me another room- upgraded to a room with jacuzzi (although not sure I will use since other room was not clean...wondering if tub has been sanitized). Am uncomfortable staying at a hotel with a gated entrance. Will not stay here again when coming to Memphis for business.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

This hotel is definitely not up to the usual standards one expects from a HIE. It is near the airport so noise from planes taking off and landing was expected. What was not expected was changing rooms 3 times. 1st room was full of cigarette smoke, the 2nd had a non-working A/C. The last room was better, but still had some problems: very hard bed, refrigerator difficult to adjust and one of the phones was out-of-order. Breakfast was OK but we've had better at other HIE properties. The breakfast area was clean. Our room was clean, hallways were not. And yes, that security fence is a bit daunting. I will say the staff went out of their way to make us comfortable.

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

The hotel location and condition is average to above average. The fact that it is surrounded by a fence and has a security system (supposedly to control drive in access and egress) I consider a plus, though it does give you the feeling of staying in a bad neighborhood. As far as I could tell, there is nothing bad about the hotel's location. True, it is not within walking distance of anything but a Waffle House, but we chose to stay there for the convenience of the "park and ride" service. And hence the reason for the lukewarm review.

We arrived on a Sunday for a Monday flight out of Memphis. The shuttle service was on time, courteous and without complication. However, on the return leg of our trip we were informed (on the following Sunday evening) that the shuttle service was not available. We were instructed to take a cab from the airport and the hotel would reimburse the cab driver. As we had been out of country on a week long trip, we were pratically void of any US money, we had some foriegn currency and our wonderful Visa company had suspended out card priviledges, suspicious of all the overseas activity on our card. So we could not have paid the Cab driver ourselves, and upon hearing that he would be paid by the hotel at the hotel, the driver promptly removed our bags from his cab and put them at the curb at theh airport. You see, cab drivers to not like to be paid by third parties in Memphis. Never mind that the cab driver was one of the rudest I had ever met in my life... I'm reviewing the hotel and not the cab company. After a phone conversation between the hotel and the cab company, it was decided that they would take us to the hotel but charge the hotel a $6 "convenience charge". I didn't care, I just wanted to get my car and go home. I can only guess that we were the only guests returning to the hotel that night and the $20 cab fare was cheaper than having a shuttle driver on staff plus the vehicle expense. I just wish they would have told us of this in advance, and I would have made it a point to make sure to tuck an extra $30 or so away for cab fare. In one sentence: They broke a promise to us.

On the good side, that same Sunday we arrived we incurred a flat tire. I put on the donut spare, but there is no way we could have driven the 150+ miles home on it. A very, very nice young woman behind the desk, upon hearing of our predicament regarding attempting to get a flat tire fixed on a Sunday evening, offered to have her fiance take the flat tire to be repaired and mounted on our vehicle before we returned. We of course made it fiinancially rewarding for her to do so, as this was only fair. But wait... the story gets better! Upon our return, during the same phone conversation where she informed us there was no shuttle service available, she also told us that the tire was not repairable. Her finance had taken it to several shops, and it would seem that we ran over an empty beer bottle near Beale street and it broke and punctured the sidewall. Sucks to be sure, but this young lady and her fiancee took the flat tire to a shop and had the tire replaced AT THEIR EXPENSE, not knowing if we would repay them for the purchase. We did of course, but that showed us some genuine human kindness. These people went out of their way to make sure that our return home was as hassle free as it could be, under the circumstance.

So for the hotel: B- for the shuttle experience
For the hotel staff: A+ for allowing true Southern hospitality to show through. I would stay there again just for that reason! Thanks Elisha!!!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Shuttle service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
oakville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

My room, labeled "non-smoking", was premeated by cigarette smoke through and through. It was as though a 4 pack per day smoker had been in the room 24-7 for months. It is inconceivable to me how a non-smoking room, on a non-smoking floor, and surrounded entirely by other non-smoking rooms could be this saturated with cigarette smoke. I have stayed in "smoking" rooms that had far less smoke odor than this one. In addition, the shower drain was plugged up so badly that over-the-ankle deep water pooled in the tub during a shower. I will definitely avoid this site in the future and will not recommend it to others.

Stayed October 2008

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Airport - American Way? Share your experiences!