“Could not get front desk to answer phone.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points
Ranked #14 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Newburgh, Indiana
“Could not get front desk to answer phone.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

i loved this property until it came time to contact front desk to ask them to stop the party in the courtyard. There was a picnic table outside our room that was apparently the place to meet. It is 10 minutes after midnight and I cant get security to remove these people.

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
I am very sorry for the noise issue you encountered during your stay. Unfortunately we were having technical difficulties with our phone system during the incident. Please accept my apology for appearing inaccessible and for not providing you with a better quality of service. Our guests’ comfort and safety is my number one concern. Your feedback has been shared with our front desk staff and will assist in preventing similar issues in the future. We also ordered and replaced new boards for our telephone system which were installed Monday, July 9th. I do hope that the next time you are in the area you will consider staying with us again. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

My family and I were on vacation in Memphis,we ended up booking this hotel even though we've never stayed at Homewood Suites before.The hotel is older and setup more like apartments than a hotel, so the first impression of exterior didn't wow me, but let me just say this was one of my stays ever,the staff at this location is amazing. The customer service is stellar they believe in not only being friendly but going above and beyond in every aspect.My family and I were truly impressed.This was definitely southern hospitality at its best. You guys are five star service to us.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Michelle M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you so much for all of your kind words. We look forward to your return.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for a meeting and brought my family with me. It was a fantastic stay. The rooms were well taken care of and comfortable. My family loved the pool and the food in he mornig and evening. Everything to do with our meeting went off without a hitch! We will be back again next August!

• Stayed August 2011
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I am a home health care provider and part of my job is to bring my client to Memphis at least three times a month. During these visits we stay at the HomeWood Suites on Poplar and I must admit I am very impressed with the staff and the facilities. Our last trip there they we resurfacing the parking areas, personally I didn't think it needed but I liked the fact that they take great care of their grounds. I appreciate the care that they provide for my client, the staff make us both feel welcomed and appreciated. Hats off the the staff at Homewood Suites - Poplar! : )

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I really wanted to give a stellar review to this property. I'm a pretty big fan of the Homewood Suites brand - I really like the setup of the rooms, which are uniformly well-equipped and very attractive no matter which Homewood Suites you go to. Unfortunately, a combination of the extremely challenging location, issues with my room, and the shuttle really made this stay one that I will not be at all interested in repeating.

Though as well-equipped as any of the Homewood properties that I've been to, my room's air conditioner was extraordinarily loud - when it was on (and it wasn't on too often), it thundered so loudly I couldn't make a call. More problematic: it didn't work well. I had the temperature set at 64 and I still had to open the windows to get to sleep. I returned after work each day to a room broiling in the mid-70s. Second challenge - the antiquated refrigerator's compressor gave a rattle, rattle, rattle, KA-THUNK!!!! approximately every 45 minutes. The first two times this happened, I thought someone had broken into the room. I gave up by my third day and simply unplugged the fridge.

The shuttle sometimes works, sometimes doesn't work. Despite having an "appointment" for a shuttle to a property 3/10 mile away from the hotel every morning, I had to wait for a shuttle driver to get ready three times out of five. When trying to get a ride back in the afternoon, I waited more than an hour twice (and I would have waited longer - after an hour, I gave up and called a cab). The front desk told me that the issue was traffic. I compared notes with a colleague who had also waited, and she had been told the driver was in an accident.

The hotel's location is not ideal. It is directly on a one-way, quite busy five lane road. I think it was a highway based on the speed of the cars going by. There is NO sidewalk in either direction, and no crosswalk to cross the street. The only safe way to enter and leave the property is by vehicle, and it can be challenging to do even that safely.

The Memphis - Poplar Homewood Suites has free shuttle service from the airport until 11:00 p.m.

The one saving grace of the property is its people. It has several really great employees who saved the trip from being utterly wretched. There is also free parking in the lot and decent breakfasts and dinners (aka Manager's Receptions) weekdays. Still, it definitely will make me think twice about booking at a Homewood Suites property, and there is no way I'd ever make a repeat booking at this property.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Michelle M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our location and shuttle service. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
Merritt Island, Fl USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel on ten occasions now for business and have never been disappointed. Be it the friendly staff, wonderful accommodations or services provided they always meet or exceed expectations.

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012 via mobile

We got the 2 bedroom suite at the AAA rate, and we were happy with that. It was raining during our visit, and the suite had 3 TVs so we were entertained for awhile. Breakfast was adequate, the grounds were well-groomed, the rooms clean. If we ever travel through Memphis again we will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar? Share your experiences!