“Had to move twice in one night - need I say more?” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Holiday Stocking Package
Ranked #6 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Minneapolis, MN
“Had to move twice in one night - need I say more?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

My third stay at the Madison and it will be my last. My television didn't work properly so they changed my room -ok, not a big deal. Returning from dinner at midnight our room was 95 degrees - really - it was actually 95 degrees even though the temp. was set at 68. The chocolates on the pillows melted. So, we had to pack everything up and move to another room at midnight. And did they go out of their way to do something for us for this inconvenience - no. Earlier we had dinner in the hotel restaurant and although the food is good the atmosphere was ruined by having to listen to the Steve Miller Band blaring over the sound system and when I asked if it could be changed to something more appropriate to accompany $38 entrees I was told that it was part of the hotel's Memphis "blues" marketing theme. Steve Miller ain't Memphis and certainly isn't the blues. I WILL NOT BE BACK and advise you to avoid the experience I had by staying somewhere else downtown like the Westin or Peabody - both of which I've had great experiences at and will be returning to.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

The Madison Hotel is a very nice hotel for downtown Memphis. As someone who has stayed at Four Seasons and Aman style resorts around the world I would say that the Madison does a good job making you feel welcome. Every staff member we met were polite and willing to help. From making sightseeing arrangments to extra towels all requests were met with sure no problem and they were followed throuogh with no hiccups. I would say that this hotel compares with a high end Westin or a W property ini any major city with the personal charm of a smaller independent.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Germantown, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

It's been a few years, but I "kidnapped" my wife and took her here on Valentine's Day. Very elegant, spacious rooms. Makes you feel like you're not in Memphis, which in my opinion is a good thing! Service was good but not special. Too pricey for downtown Memphis, but almost a good value.

The restaurant, Grill 83, is very good and compliments the hotel very well. (I assume, as of March 2009, that Grill 83 is still open.)

The exercise room was the old bank vault in the basement, with the old vault door still there. A very upscale and different look!

• Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

We stayed here this last weekend and I have mixed feelings about the hotel. I booked it through an Internet operator because they were offering a good price and I was looking for a nice place downtown. As positive I would mention the friendliness of the employees and the nice decoration. Location is wonderful, 10 minutes from Beale street. Also, the room was comfortable and roomy, with a wet bar and complimentary coffee. Negative, the valet parking service. The employees were doing what they could, but cars were piling up in a one way street, often blocking the traffic and we had to pay $23 + tax/day. Nobody informed us in advance about the fee, we had the surprise when we were checking out. The AC/heating unit in the room was awfully noisy, we had to turn it on when we were leaving the room, to achieve the temperature we wanted. The bathroom was roomy but very dark, I had trouble applying the make up and the hair dryer only had one speed, it was insufficient for my hair. They had high speed Internet, but not wireless, which surprised me, you had to plug the laptop, at least in our room. No cable available, you had to pay extra, the TV only had like 9 channels available. They offered a wide selection of movies, but the price was between $12 and $13 dollars. The breakfast was continental, a very simple selection; I would have liked some eggs and bacon available. As I said, it is a very nice hotel but they need to work the details a little bit more.

Memphis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

My girlfriend made a reservation for valentines night through internet. That was the only area the hotel didn't fail us. We arrived around 5:30, no valet to park our car, had to park my car in the street. Waited about an hour till we get our room. This was around 7pm. The room was not cleaned properly. Q tip in the trash can, hair in the shower and sheets seems not being changed . Our reservation for dinner was at 8pm. but we had to wait for more than an hour for our table. Seems they were under staffed and over sold their restaurant. They were sitting people in banquet room, restaurant and we end up on mezzenine level which didn't have the atmosphere we expected. It took 20 minutes to get our drinks and an hour for appetizers. I hope they would let us know in advance the possible location of our table so we could have an option to make another arrangement. The complementary breakfast was served on mezzenine. The buffet area was completly empty and all tables were dirty. I had to look for staff in the back room for help. At different occasion had to ask for juice, coffee and pastries. I left a message for general manager on his answering machine, still have not got a response after two weeks. Never stay here again and let my friends and colleagues know about my terrible experience. I would get a better service in Holiday Inn.

tigersbbfan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

I am so disheartened to read the negative reviews about The Madison. I was just introduced to this website, so forgive me for posting a review so long after my stay. I am a life-long Memphian and had heard how wonderful this hotel is. I got married in the middle of April 2008. Due to our work schedules, we could not go on our honeymoon until the week after our wedding. We decided to spend our wedding night downtown, visiting our favorite bars and restaurants. We booked one night at The Madison. Yes, valet is the only means of parking, and it was a bit hectic (Saturday evening) due to the narrowed street (construction at nearby building). However, it was very quick and the valet attendant was extremely cordial. We only had one bag, which we carried in ourselves, although the bell boy did offer to deliver it to our room. Check-in was quick and painless. Our room was immaculate, no complaints. The bed was comfortable, and donned a fluffy white down comforter. Nice touch! The roof-top view was amazing! Beautiful views of the Hernando-Desoto Bridge (M-bridge), the Mississippi River, Mud Island and all of downtown. We did not eat at the hotel because we slept in (late night partying on Beale!). You can reach Beale Street and all of the famous attractions just by walking a few short blocks. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice stay in downtown Memphis!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Memphis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I had made reservations for our wedding night with a King Suitte room on May 3, 2008. We arrive at the hotel and go to our room to find our key doesn't work. After about an hour, we discover someone is IN our room. They had double booked the room. Now, we are stranded downtown and no cash on us so no taxi. We end up waiting around, and I luckily lived about 15-20 minutes away, so I call a friend to come get us. It's Memphis in May weekend, so we have an hour in traffic getting home. We arrive home at 3am.
We have to hassle in getting our refund straightened out with the hotel. They gave us a free night's stay, so we decide to try again Valentine's Day 2009. We go, and are able to get in our room this time. Prior to the stay, we have a $404 charge on our credit card that we're told will come off. While we're there, we spend a total of $44 on food and drinks. We also had $25 for valet, which in my opinion should have been covered by the free night's stay after all we had to go through. Two days after we stayed there, I check my credit card, and we have pending charges from the Madison (shows up as "Wall Street Hotel") of $404, still on there, $530, $100, and then the other charges that were valid (food, drink, valet)...so somehow they managed to charge us an extra $1034.
We call and they are resistant on admitting any wrong, and say they don't see these charges, and the $404 will still be coming off. It's been a week sitting on there, and now an additional $630. I am honestly so very tired of dealing with this hotel, and while I understand things happen, this has been a consistent frustration in all of our dealing with them. I do not recommend this hotel. There are plenty of other options of quality service in downtown Memphis, TN.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MadisonHotel, Front Office Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2009
We interacted with the guests regarding their concerns and handled them promptly to their satisfaction including refunding the guest for the charges that were incurred during the course of their stay.

Unfortunatley the guests had already posted these comments before we were given the opportunit to address the issues directly with them

Madison Hotel has been voted as one of the top 75 Hotels in the United States because of it's commitment to excellence in service. We are terribly sorry that the guest was inconvinienced during their visit.

Been to Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!