“Above and Beyond” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 134 hotels in Memphis
Memphis, Tennessee
“Above and Beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I live in Memphis, and my wife and I recently stayed one evening at The Madison to celebrate our anniversary. While, I've been in the hotel, I had never stayed there. It is beautifully appointed throughout. Our queen room was larger than I expected. The bathroom was especially spacious, always nice for a hotel room. Everything was just right. Every staff member that we encountered spoke to us, and some even called us by name.

One particular staff member, the bartender at the amazing roof-top terrace bar, engaged us in just enough conversation while we enjoyed our drinks. He had a great presence. He discovered that we were celebrating our 15th anniversary, and as far as we can tell, notified someone else on staff. When we stopped by our room on our way out of the hotel 20 minutes later, there was a chilled bottle of champagne and some chocolate-covered strawberries waiting for us. He also comped our beverages! Wow. What a nice touch!

We took advantage of a the hotel's winter special and got an amazing experience for a very reasonable rate. If your travels bring you to Memphis, I would highly recommend The Madison.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing your special occasion with us. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to seeing you next year!

820 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Had a very pleasant two-night stay at the Madison for the Liberty Bowl and New Year's Eve. Because of the demand, the rates reflected the demand, but I feel we received a fair value. Certainly at standard rates, this would be a great choice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The valet parking service was efficient -- it's a bit pricey at $23/night but for convenience and peace of mind, it was fine. Beale Street is about a 10-minute walk down the Main Street trolley corridor, so the location is ideal. I'd stay at the Madison again, especially for special occasion travel.

Room Tip: We booked a small queen room, which was perfectly fine for two. A suite would be a nice option, so d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay while attending the Liberty Bowl. We look forward to your return visit.
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The average room is small. During our four night stay the rates varied from about 250.00 To about 500.00 because of the Liberty bowl. Room not clean, toiletries not replenished, scale old and 20 pounds off and restaurants divorce and very understaffed for breakfast, 35 minutes to be partially served as I write this. In future I would avoid this place.

• Stayed December 2012
angiehmemphis, General Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
I am truly sorry that we disappointed you during your recent stay. We enjoy a sterling reputation for high quality and exceptional service, clearly in your case we missed the mark. I thank you for you candid feedback and will review your comments with the team. Once again, my sincere apologies. Angie, GM
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is a smaller hotel than the Peabody. Had a boutique feel to it. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We upgraded to a small suite for $20 more per night, which was well worth it. Very comfortable king size bed, well appointed bathroom, and comfortable "living room", which can be closed off from the bedroom by a set of French doors. The restaurant in the hotel, 83 Madison, was also very good. We used our daily vouchers there for breakfast that essentially gave us a free breakfast, which was very convenient. (They no longer have a free continental breakfast on the Mezzanine level.)The valet parking was very efficient and our car was available a few minutes after calling down for it. There's a rooftop bar, but we didn't spend much time there because it was too cold. Very nice views from there. Two negatives: the coffee machine didn't work because I think something was wrong with the CFI outlet, and the printer in the "business services room" wasn't working. Neither of which were a big deal to me and I did not bother to report the problems to the management. This is a good alternative to the Peabody and we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if the cost differential is not that great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your endorsement for a stay downtown and I am glad your overall experience was excellent. I would like to apologize for the problems with the coffee maker. You will be happy to know that we have upgraded all of rooms with Keurig coffee makers which I hope you will experience on your next visit. We have also addressed the problem with the business center printer. I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused you. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

If you are looking for truly a 4 star hotel - this is it in Memphis. It may not have the Ducks that the Peabody has, but it is a great hotel. Room was spacious, staff attended to our every need and food excellent. Rooftop bar incredible. You might pay a bit more at the Madison, but its worth it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Your recommendation and endorsement is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I came to Memphis Christmas Shopping and decided to splurge and stay at the Madison. We've stayed at the Peabody several times and wanted a change. Here's how it stacked up. The check in was kind of slow but thorough. There was only one person at the desk. The room was very well designed with some high end touches like the $700 sound system that we were so impressed with that we researched it on the spot. This was certainly not found at the Peabody. The bathroom was well appointed and probably triple the size of the last one I had at the Peabody.. I paid extra for a river view but am not sure it was worth it because you had to first look at the air conditioning system on the roof right in front of you, then past that was the river....however, I loved the rooftop deck and wished the weather had been better so we could have really enjoyed it. It was a very short walk down to Beale Street where absolutly nothing was going on. :( but it was early and we didnt want to stay out late. The Madison didn't have any entertainment to keep us in their lobby so we spent most of our time in the Peabody lounge listening to the beautiful pianist and enjoying their massive Christmas tree. Woud we go back to the Madison, probably so. The Madison's room size in comparison to the Peabody is much larger and more comfortable to me for about the same price. If I'm going to take a high end room, I want space, which the Peabody didn't give me at that price range.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review and comparison. We value the feedback of our guests and are grateful for your recommendation. We appreciate you selecting the Madison Hotel and look forward to your next visit.
South Lake Tahoe, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Memphis is great!
Madision hotel is not so great.
The positive is the rooftop bar beautiful views and great service.
The rooms were very small, the staff very unaccomadating. We were a group of 6 renting 3 rooms. We were placed all over the hotel, charged extra for everything, including the free contenintal breakfast which they give you a voucher for the restaurant $10 for 2. Then proceeded to charge $15 at checkout. When asked about the charge we were told that we received a voucher. No afternoon tea as advertised. Overall a real disappointment. Too much to deal with on a vacation. Money trap is my definition of the Madision hotel and I will be back to Memphis it was great, the Madision did not ruin our trip, but I will not return there. I will Try the Peabody next time.

Room Tip: Do not patronize this establishment.You can do better.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!