“ECONOLODGE” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Eaton, Ohio
“ECONOLODGE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The front desk people were helpful and kind, they do have a parking garage, but it isn't that secure and you have to pay an additional $10 for it. The room was clean, but not fancy. The pool was cold and very well kept. They were not shy with extra pillows or towels. The rooms are old, but the linens are clean and there's not much to complain or brag about.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms look at the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The wife and I are on a road trip. We got into Memphis after driving all day and were looking for something cheap and close to Beale St to stay since we wouldn't use the room much anyway. We chose this place because its within walking distance to pretty much everything. When we arrived, the woman at the front desk had no personality or customer service skills what so ever. We paid the $79.00 for the night plus $10 for parking and took the elevator (which had no working lights) to our room on the eighth floor. As soon as the elevator door opened, one of the house keepers was standing there in the hall eating and texting on her phone. She didn't say a word as we passed. The carpet in our room was disgusting and we never took our shoes off. The bathroom smelled of urine and to top it off, there were bugs on the shower curtain. Even the drain on the tub was broken and hung to the side. When we checked in, we asked for a non smoking room, ours had ash trays. It is what it is and you get what you pay for. The cleanest part looks to be the pool. I just can't figure out how people can show no pride in their work. Makes you wonder how disgusting their house is if they can't even clean up this dump for their guests.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

You get what you pay for and we didn't pay much to stay here so I'm satisfied overall with the value. It is one of the more gritty hotels I've stayed at, the location is a tiny bit sketchy and the hotel is really old. You can tell they do their best to keep it clean but it's just an old and dated place. The bed was decently comfortable and the location was within walking distance of Beale Street. The breakfast is alright, for being free. The pool did look nice, although we didn't swim while there. Overall I think I'd splurge next time for a little nicer place, but if you really are on a budget and want to walk to Beale Street, just grin and bear it! The employees were all very nice, so that helped.

• Stayed July 2013
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel is older, the hallway smells like cigarette smoke although I was on a non-smoking level, & the shower head are very low. I read the pros and cons of staying at this hotel & decided to take the chance for convenience. I usually don't trust reviews since there are rare pros. Well, aside from the negatives, I was able to enjoy my stay. I ended my stay earlier for two reasons, the room I booked was not the room displayed nor mention in the Choice Hotel (management company) website & due to the extremely rude service from front desk. I actually was considering to stay an additional night so I can tour the city some more, but left after my experience with front desk. Simply put, make sure you ask if your room will have a refrigerator and microwave in the room at time of check-in. Like others have mentioned, the room wasn't ready until 4pm as housekeeping was finishing rooms. I had to ask for bathing towels and when I did get them, some of them had stains, so I asked for more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had read so many bad reviews about this hotel before we arrived, but my partner and I were traveling across the states on a budget without a car so needed somewhere cheap and central. Econo Lodge was that.

I was paranoid about bed bugs so the first thing I did was check the mattress. Not a single trace of those little blood suckers. The bed was HUGE and super comfortable. The room itself was huge as well, with a nice bathroom and it was very clean. The pool wasn't in operation because it was November.

Yes the hotel is old and a little tired looking but for the price you pay you get a comfortable bed and a clean room. The breakfast wasn't super exciting - pastries, toast, waffles, cereal etc, pretty standard. The service was pretty non-existent, but we didn't want housekeeping to go into our rooms so had the sign on the door to keep them away.

Location wise, it's an easy walk to anywhere in downtown memphis. The bus from the bus station is right outside (we walked, which was about 20 minutes) and the bus to Graceland leaves from just down the road too.

I'd definitely stay here again if I was to return to Memphis.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
south carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3-nights . Great location just a few blocks from Beale St & Main st. Housekeeping was a nightmare. They only emptied the trash & put clean towels during room service. Had to REQUEST the beds be made-up & carpet vacuumed (obvious mess) ... Toilet constantly ran...

But my room was a palace compared to my traveling companions who had a clogged toilet from the previous guest & hotel mgt gave them a plunger. Staff refused to clear the toilet & did not offer to call maintenance. Instead, the staff decided to offer a different room on different floor from rest of the group ( hotel had plenty of rooms to spare ) ... Staff gave them a key to another room BUT that room was being used by another guest! Mgt was rude

Our other travel companions had a huge HOLE in their mattress.

NONE of the 3-rooms we stayed in were properly cleaned by housekeeping... But we noticed the staff enjoying frequent smoke breaks by the pool & carrying breakfast out for themselves from the Comp Guest Breakfast area

• Stayed June 2013
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Close to everything, Clean room, nothing fancy, but best value downtown, If your just looking for a place to stay, Super Friendly staff! Would stay here again. Trolley line on Main Street a block away, very close to Brake street and felt safe at night there

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Econo Lodge Downtown Memphis? Share your experiences!