“C+” 2 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #70 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
“C+”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

My first impression was not good, the elevator was extremely slow! 5-10 minute wait for only 10 floors is terrible. The hallways looked like a tornado just went through with towels,sheets and all the doors open, including ours. We thought we were walking into someone room. The housekeeping was non existent for the 2 days we were there and the breakfast was way to sparse. The real and only amenity is the closeness to downtown. Blues City cafe for ribs, and Miss Pollys for some soul food made the hotel a much less concern.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We stayed three nights in this hotel, we picked it because it is two blocks to beale st, two blocks to main street and centrally located to anything not right downtown. The parking for the stay is 10.00 a day but considering the cheap rates it is worth it. Someone is attending the park area all day and we had no problems leaving our vehicle in the garage. The staff was friendly and were helpful in letting us know where our limits of walking should be and educated us on the trolleys, food, and what streets to stay away from. Granted the hotel is older it looks like a regular hotel room, i don't need to pay 230 a night to take a shower and sleep. When we vacation we spend little time in the room, so this was the best option for us. The staff was always asking if we need anything else and made sure we made it down to breakfast, they were there when we came in at night and greeted us joked around with us. We had no problems with cleanliness, or felt unsafe at anytime, i would stay again because of the staff. The free breakfast is only bagels, muffins, and juice and coffee (i'm an eggs and bacon girl). They do have a lounge at the hotel although we never visited it. My advise is to overlook the age of the building and revel in the extra money you can spend if you decide to take a quick trip to tunica!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Winona, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights so that we could visit both Beale street and Graceland. The drive to Graceland is fairly short and simple and the walk to Beale street is convenient.
When we arrived the staff was friendly and helpful. We were early but they got us into a room right away. The walk to Beale street is a straight shot down 3rd street to the the corner where you will find the Rum Boogie Cafe. (good music)
Many downtown bars have happy hour until 7:00 P.M. when the music starts.
The room was acceptable but dirty. I had read this before we took the trip and they were right. I don't think the sheets are ever cleaned? They actually felt dirty and gritty. My wife said the room had a smell. The floor by the sink was damp and the hot/cold faucets were backwards.
We never felt unsafe while walking to Beale street but we were asked for a handout by someone who approached as if he were concerned about our having a good time in the city. There was security person visible at the corner about a block before our hotel.
If you want to hear good jazz music, the lounge across from the office had an excellent 4 piece band and the beers were about $3. You may need to show your room key to get in. The people in the longe were very friendly and the service was good.
All in all, you get what you pay for, but, any other room we priced in this area was double the price.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Great location and price and friendly staff! But know security could be an issue.

I was in Memphis for 5 nights at a conference at another hotel and shared a room with someone. When they had to depart a night early I searched from something reasonable in the area. I found this Econolodge and read the reviews. There seemed to have been an issue with noise but I had none during my stay. The room was basic but the King bed was REALLY comfortable. The hotel rooms are on the 7th through 10th floors over a parking garage.

Checking in went fine with Deangela at the front desk. As I approached my room the housekeeping staff was very pleasant. I head some noise from the next room but it turned out to be the housekeeping person cleaning the bathroom. The walls are a bit thin but I had no problem. One think I liked was that the air/heat unit in the wall under the window was actually quiet when it ran. And it did not blow air directly at the bed as many hotel rooms do. I had a great night’s sleep.

The hotel offers a free continental breakfast, which is served in the blues bar/night club next door. It consists of juice, coffee (but no REAL milk or cream.. just powdered “creamer”), HUGE bagels w/ cream cheese and REALLY large muffins. This was fine with me.

Checkout with Lakita was also smooth. I was allowed to leave my bags there until my airport limo arrived in early afternoon.

The hotel is in an area where there are few businesses and I wouldn’t recommend that single women walk in the area AFTER dark, but I felt safe on the street.

The one caveat which might give some concern is security. The room floors are accessed by an outside elevator that stops on the six parking lot floors. The desk clerk can see people entering the elevator but they may be busy with guests. And they wouldn’t know if the person was going to a room or the parking lot floors. I guess I wasn’t paranoid but I thought I’d point this out.

It is easy walk to Beale Street, Main Street etc and the rate was at least 40% less than other hotels in the area.

If I go back I would probably stay there again if I needed a fairly priced room in Memphis, a city with LOTS of empty hotels and yet – for some reason – high hotel rates.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011 via mobile

Just left the place now, stayed 5 minutes and left in fear of both my safety and health. The place should be shut down. From a person who regularly stays in hostels in both Europe and the USA, this is by far the worst place I have ever been. All the bed linen was filthy with pubic hairs and stains of various natures (let's say bodily fluid) covering it. The floor was disgusting, the bathroom was unclean with faeces stains. The room was suposedly non smoking but stank of cigarettes and the door to the adjoining room had only what I can describe as a bathroom lock on it separating me from whoever was next door. I can only imagine that this hellhole is used for pay by the hour clientele, no sane person would stay here. I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. We have booked into the Marriott suites, beautiful! : )

• Stayed February 2011
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

I needed to book a hotel quickly and economically in Memphis in the new year. I checked TripAdvisor as you should and though there was mixed reviews I thought the good outweighed the bad.
The hotel is quite basic, I thought the front desk staff were nice enough without being over nice. The lift is a little scary ok. As far as I could determine everyone was booked on the 8th floor. I thought the room was old fashioned but comfortable and clean. The AC was old but effective if a little noisy. The bed was quite comfortable and I slept well for the four nights I stayed.
The breakfast is a joke. You have to cross an entrance to a car park to a bar across the way, and you help yourself to bagels and muffins on paper plates and coffee in polystyrene cups , theres no cream or milk just powdered creamer. Saying that I thought the bagels were ok.
However the location is excellent just a few minutes walk from Beale Street etc. and easy access to Memphis.
Overall I'd say you get what you pay for. 2 star I didn't get a funky smell in the room or anything though.
The music at night in the bar across the way (Breakfast bar?) is excellent also, there was a jazz quartet playing there on the Wednesday and they were marvelous.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

So I pulled into this place and it had self parking garage...looked a little sketchy...but whatcha gonna do??? When I entered the lobby I was hardly in the door and it was "can I help you?" um OK. The front desk staff wa less than stellar and I was expecting the worst when I got upstairs. Immediately when you walk into the room...ooh oooh that smell. It's funky...I can't describe it. Smokey? Moldy? I dunno...just funky. the location is good if you wanna walk to Beale Street, the Riverside, FedEx Arena or the Baseball field. As I write this I am realizing the walls are paper thin. The hotel is not very full so it's fairly quiet. I walked down the street and got the amazing ribs at Rendezvous...THIS IS A MUST!!!! I followed it up with some Blues at the Rum Boogie on Beale. Great little dive bar and the House Band is amazing. Oh more on the hotel. TV was garbage...remote didn't work. Overall the room was clean, nice towels, fairly comfy bed. This hotel would be good with some TLC and refurb. Not bad for a one night stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Econo Lodge Downtown Memphis? Share your experiences!