“Cupcakes are Tip-Top” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Gulf Coast
“Cupcakes are Tip-Top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This place makes the best cupcakes and some of the best pies that I have ever eaten. PERIOD! If you crave something sweet this is the place for you. Do not pass go, just go to Muddy's to satisfy your sweet-tooth. Every flavor of cupcake is outstanding. What are you waiting for?

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I guess I'm just looking for a good old fashioned bakery in Memphis. I thought since it was a "bake shop" I was in luck. Nope. I've been here several times and the cases have mostly several varieties of cupcakes. I have found a couple kinds of pie and cake. Same with cookies. All I've ever found at the most were 3 kinds. I don't know why this place gets all the fuss. The baked goods are alright. There just aren't very many choices unless you place an advance order. I'm not impressed and will probably look for my goodies at the Fresh Market.

Visited February 2012
Kip G, Manager at Muddy's Bake Shop, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
I'm so sorry that you found our bake shop to be "just ok"! I assure you, each week we have a full selection of 12 cupcake flavors, 3 cakes by the slice, 6-9 pies, banana and oreo puddings as well as 8 cookies and bars in our case at any given time. We produce thousands of cupcakes a day as well as hundreds of cookies. Being the small, from scratch bakery that we are, we do sell out of things toward the end of the day as we just can't always meet demand and we want things to be made fresh daily and not recycled day after day.

Thanks so much for your business and I truly hope you'll give us another shot!

-Kip and the gang at Muddy's
Memphis, TN
“Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

There are not enough words to describe these heavenly cupcakes. I took home 6 and was surprised at how heavy the box felt. I was so surprised when I bit into the cupcake and found it moist and light. The frosting is light and as many have mentioned the best part is that it's not overly sugary. I love that they have a wide variety and that while they have certain ones that they always make, there are plenty that rotate on a weekly basis. Personally, Prozac (chocolate cake with chocolate frosting) is the best. Even though my husband thinks their cupcakes are the best he's ever had, he also likes their chocolate chip cookies. We also tried two of their pies -- a chocolate chess pie (Cocoa Chanel) and a Tollhouse Jack. I liked both, but the Tollhouse Jack has whiskey or bourbon in it and the alcohol taste was a bit overwhelming. I'm really looking forward to going back and ordering a cake for an upcoming birthday. Will point out that they will only write on the cake and add sprinkles so no fancy decorations. However, I'm pretty sure my family won't care too much how it looks and devour the cake anyways!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tennessee
“Wowzer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Ordered a birthday cake from here, Strawberry Fields Forever. I can't begin to say how moist and perfectly sweet it was. Not overly sugary and still had that fresh strawberry taste. My husband also bought some mini cupcakes that were divine. You do have to prepay for all orders but it was worth it. Organic, fresh farm-to-table. Will do it again if I am in the area.

Visited June 2012
Decatur, Alabama, United States
“Best Cupcakes ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

These are the best cupcakes I have ever eaten!! We have family in Memphis and when we visit there, Muddys is always on our agenda! Prozacs(chocolate chocolate) are my favorites but just tried a banana cupcake that is awesome too. Hubs likes Grasshopper( mint icing on chocolate cupcake) while our son loves TomBoys(Peanut butter icing with chocolate cupcake) The Plain Janes are yummy too. Cannot go wrong with a cupcake from this great shop.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Muddy's Bake Shop? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Muddy's Bake Shop, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.