“Great Meal” 5 of 5 stars

Cross street: Young
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I joined another couple at Sweet Grass recently before the symphony. We all agreed that our meal was exceptional. The highlight of the evening for me was the low country shrimp and grits. I have had shrimp and grits at a number of good restaurants, but I must say that this version of it was the very best that I have ever eaten. The addition of some scallops, ham and sausage gave the dish an exceptional flavor. Very well done indeed!!! By the way, my wife and our friends were also very happy with their entrees.

• Visited March 2013

Memphis, Tennessee
“Good, but slipping?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten at Sweetgrass many times. Always great, but last Saturday was disappointing. My friend had to send her steak back since it was almost all fat and gristle. My pork chop was great, but some of the roasted potatoes were not completely cooked (were a bit hard on the inside). My wife's dessert was so frozen on the bottom that we almost needed a knife to cut it. Very disappointing since I have often recommended this restaurant. Food quality may be slipping with the restaurant's overall popularity. Unfortunately this happens to some good restaurants.

Visited April 2013
Owensboro, Kentucky
“Wow! Great service and food! Memphis is sooo lucky”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I'm thoroughly impressed with the food and service. Went with a group and shared the charcuterie (house made and as good as Publican in Chicago), the clams/mussels and the carpaccio (better than The Palm in Nashville). I had the shrimp and grits, which sounds tired until you get to the scallops and house made sausage in it, then it becomes a different dish. Butternut squash soup was sublime. I envied another diner's HUGE locally raised strip steak. Dessert were colossal - the apple pie with bourbon ice cream was worth making some room for. Service was spot on. Memphis is lucky to have a restaurant this fine.

• Visited March 2013
New York, NY
“Best meal we had in Memphis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We live in NYC and eat at fine restaurants often. Not being a huge barbecue fan, I tried to find some other Memphis restaurants with Southern influence but no barbecue. Sweeet Grass fit the bill and stood up to some of the best restaurants we've eaten at at home. The shrimp and grits (which also includes scallops) was divine. The atmosphere is not stuffy and the crowd seemed to be enjoying themselves. The wine list is good and very reasonably priced. Beware, the desserts are huge and should be shared.

• Visited January 2013
New York
“Great local flavors with a twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

It's easy to fill up on cornbread before the meal even comes out because it's so tasty! The main dishes are good for the Memphis area...although I find that most of the restaurants in town use more oil than what I'm used to.

Visited November 2012