“We go back every year” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pilgrim House Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Memphis
Pilgrim House Hostel
You added Pilgrim House Hostel to your Saves list
1000 S Cooper St, Back Entrance, Memphis, TN 38104   |
Saint Louis, Missouri
“We go back every year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Pilgrim house is a hostel in midtown Memphis with a great staff a good bit of personality. It's in Cooper Young, which is a great little neighborhood with interesting restaurants and shops. My friends and I stay in the hostel every year when we go to Memphis for the Beale St music festival . The hostel is about a ten minute cab ride to Beale street. Most hotels near Beale are booked very early and aren't cheap, while the hostel is $15 a person per night or $30 for a private room for one person. There is a $10 deposit, and the hostel does ask each guest to perform one task per day, such as maybe sweeping your room or wiping off the kitchen counter in order to get your deposit back. The hostel itself is fairly quiet, so if you're looking for a party place, this isn't the place for you. We party on Beale street and head to the hostel when we are ready for a quiet place to sleep. It's clean, unique, and provides at atmosphere to mingle with other travelers as well. Definitely worth more than the price you pay!

Room Tip: If you worry about other guests snoring or being loud simply get a private room, it's very inexp...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I came to Memphis not really knowing what to expect, but I left knowing that I had stayed in one of America's nicest hostels. Pilgrim House is like living in a tiny, self-contained community, where everybody chips in to keep the place tidy, and you are guaranteed to strike up conversation with a whole host of fellow travellers. The staff are young and enthusiastic, everything is clean - they bleached the shower curtains during my stay - and they serve up free pancakes in the mornings. Local events are posted up on a whiteboard everyday, and thjey have the best library I've seen in a hotel, which you can browse freely.

My one levelling comment would be that this place is not near downtown Memphis. A taxi ride costs around $15, and it really is not walkable. However, if you have a car the location is no problem at all, and, in fact, the Cooper-Young district is kinda hip, and the locals are curious to find travellers in their midst.

So, to summarise, this place exceeded my expectations with its friendly, communal atmosphere. Those looking for a place to lay their heads, away from the identikit downtown hotels, are on to a sure-fire winner here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I'm so glad we found this place! It was a great bargain and allowed us to save money to spend at Graceland (which is worth going to, even if you're not an Elvis fan, but is a little pricey). My boyfriend and I stayed one night and we got a private room. The bed wasn't very comfortable but the sheets were clean and you can't beat the price. The room we booked could sleep three with a bunk bed that was a full-size mattress on the bottom and twin on top. The bed creaked and we could hear people outside the room, but it was quiet enough that we slept just fine. There's wireless throughout the hostel, and it looked like they have computers you can use if you don't have any wireless devices wih you. To get your small deposit back you have to do a simple chore, and ours was cleaning doorknobs, which we did when we got back from Beale Street around midnight. You can do your chore late in the evening or before checkout in the morning. Don't expect a full-service hotel but this place is great for budget-conscious travelers who want to stay in a clean place with friendly staff in a very cool neighborhood. They have a whole row of private bathrooms, so you don't have to worry about dorm-style shower stalls. Try Java Cabana down the street if you're looking for a hip coffee shop!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

This hostel is amazing. At first I was unsure driving through the outskirts of Memphis, but the hostel is nestled in a great neighborhood. The whole place is filled with interesting little restaurants, shops and bars, truly for any price level.

Zach greeted us at the hostel and not only made us feel welcome, but gave us truly excellent advice and information. The room we stayed in was well kept, multiple common rooms had various degrees of coziness, and the book exchange is always something welcomed to my eyes. This was a hostel that truly had anything and everything I could want from it.

The chores requested are not anything that will ruin your day and generally keep guests from messing the place up (as is often the case in hostels). We encountered the rest of the staff and they were all friendly with various interesting stories. Breakfast provided was great and this is probably the most well equipped kitchen I've ever seen.

Bravo Pilgrim House, I've stayed in hostels in many countries and I can say that you are one of the best

• Stayed May 2011
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I am 50ish and booked a private room for several days as I did not want to spend all my money on hotel. I was very comfortable here, saw other people my age as well as young people. There are private bathrooms. It is run by the First Congregational Church so people can afford to visit Memphis. NO BEDBUGS or any such like. In hip Cooper Young neighborhood where locals hang out, recently profiled in New York Times. Walk to Central Barbecue. Good food and clubs nearby. Not near any of the big sites but at 30 a night I could afford taxis. There is a housecat. Comfortable, spacious dining and living room areas, great library.

Room Tip: Email them, then follow up with a call.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

I can't say enough good things about the Pilgrim House Hostel In Memphis, Tennessee. Plenty of free parking, a beautiful central location near restaurants, quiet at night, free wifi, library/ comfy living room, large fully outfitted kitchen, spacious dining room, plenty of showers and bathrooms, the morning assigned chores are easy and fun, great security and it's a relaxing lovely place. Separate male, female and mixed dorm beds are $15 a night, Private rooms are $30 per night one person, add $15 for additional person. Bike rentals are $15 per day. Check out is 11am but if you are staying over there is no lockout. Coffee/tea and make your own pancakes in the morning included. Space in the refrigerators for your food. There's a large outdoor deck accessible from outside the hostel. The hostel is at the back of the building (not on S. Cooper St) so it was difficult for me to find on my first night, but other guests didn't have a problem. The hostel is aprox 5 miles from downtown - taxis are aprox $15 one way.
The hostel is on the 3rd floor of an enormous church building on one city block which contains other interesting liberal-type businesses in it (a global fair trade store open on Saturdays, a peace/amnesty type non-profit, a dance studio, a midwifery office, 12-step meetings, etc., all in separate offices within the large building).
All the guests were interesting, fun and mostly international. There was no age discrimination. I had fun entertaining Mordicai the resident Siamese cat (he likes black soft cords). Hat's off to all the resident staff: the witty iconic Jonathan, the artist Isabel and her sweet sister Evie, Gilmar the Great, Tom, Kate, and Megan - all efficient, friendly, professional yet easy-going.
This is my #1 favorite hostel in the USA so far, with Knoxville coming in 2nd.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Pilgrim House Hostel? Share your experiences!