“Anniversary Dinner Success” 5 of 5 stars

901-590-2828
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Iris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,199 Restaurants in Memphis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cooper
Description: Born and raised in Southern Louisiana, Chef Kelly English fell in love with the culture and food of New Orleans. Equipped with his training from award-winning Chef John Besh, English presents a unique dining experience. Restaurant Iris specializes in French-Creole cuisine featuring local and seasonal ingredients. English infuses his endless creativity and passion for food into each dish. Whether indulging in his Oysters three ways, a "Knuckle Sandwich", or a dessert made just for you, one is sure to reap the benefits of English"s rich culinary background. We invite you to experience Restaurant Iris, simplicity at its most elegant. Please note: Due to the limited capacity of our dining room, we offer limited online reservation availability. For more information regarding availability, please contact the restaurant directly.
Olive Branch, Mississippi
“Anniversary Dinner Success”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Took my wife here for our 4th anniversary. Mentioned anniversary in Open Table reservation and had a note personalized in our menu and a little extra decoration on our table to celebrate. Service was great and genuine. We went with the 5-course Chef's tasting menu, set a few basic parameters and asked for their best shot and boy did they deliver. Below are the things we had along with a little note on each.

Maker's Mark "romanov" - MM with mint, mango & lime. Always a good combo. :)

Fried Okra Salad - pickled, cheese-stuffed fried okra on a salad with greek yogurt & lime. What a weird combo. My wife liked it. I loved it

Lobster "knuckle sandwich" - essentially a fancy open faced lobster sandwich. We both loved this and will certainly get it next time

Raviolo - a giant beef-short rib ravioli with brown butter sauce and sauteed mushrooms. It was a little rich for my wife so she opted to save room for later courses after a few bites but she did like the flavors. I liked this very much, but it is quite rich/heavy for the middle of a 5-course meal. Would prefer as a stand-alone entree.

Duck Breast w/grape leaf risotto (for me) - After the first 3 courses this one was a bit of a let down for me. It was quite good, but not on the level of the priors. The duck had good flavor but the fat could have been rendered a little more and the skin a little crispier for my taste. The grape leaf risotto was a nice flavor pairing.

Pan-fried trout w/cauliflower puree and toasted almond slivers (for my wife) - She liked this a lot, but was trying to save room for dessert so I helped her with this dish and it was my favorite of the whole evening. I loved, loved, loved this dish. Great flavors and textures. One of the top 10 dishes I've ever had.

Creme Brulee (for my wife) - someone got a little carried away with the blow torch as parts of the crust were burned, but when you avoided those spots, the creme and earl gray cookies were nice, but probably would opt for something else next time.

Bread pudding (for me) - I know and love my bread puddings but this one didn't quite reach my expectations (which were admittedly very high after the savory courses). The sauce was great, the pecans and ice cream were great and the overall flavor was nice, but it was a little dry for me. Once I'd worked through the half of it that was moistened by the sauce and ice cream I threw in the towel. It was still good, but not so good that I pushed the boundaries of stomach capacity to finish it.

Very long story shortened: Nice atmosphere, great menu variety, great execution on most of the many dishes we had, great service and a reasonable bill for what we received. Will be back for sure. That trout is calling my name!

• Visited June 2012

Tiel, The Netherlands
“Nice atmosphere, great tastes, little time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Iris is a nice place with great food. However I was disappointed by the rush the chef had to get us to the bill. In a place like this I expect to have the time to have a nice conversation, enjoy the tastes and some wine. Unfortunately this was not what we enjoyed.
We were in and out Iris within about 75 minutes. Not particular a fine dining time schedule. It could have been so much better...

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Germantown, Tennessee
“One of the Best in Memphis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This was our fifth visit to Restaurant Iris, and every time we eat there we can't wait to go back. The atmosphere, the service, and the food are superb! Our food server's descriptions of the menu items made me want to try everything. I had the scallops, and my husband had the snapper. Both were cooked to perfection with tasty accompaniments. Chef Kelly English checked on us to make sure we were happy with the meal. We shared the most amazing bread pudding and, along with the great coffee, had a wonderful dining experience.

• Visited June 2012
Germantown, TN
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Between the food and the wait staff, you can't go wrong. Jeff is the most amazing friend you can have there. Talk about making it an experience! Always an amazing night there. The food is good too.

Visited April 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Fabulous birthday celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We recently celebrated my 70th birthday at the Iris with 6 adults and my 6 grandchildren. The food was amazing and the ambience lovely but what made it even better was the fabulous service. The personal service, feeding our group and keeping the children entertained was much more than we could have hoped for.

• Visited May 2012