“Great Value and Friendly, Accommodating Staff” 4 of 5 stars

You added Vista Inn Motel Downtown Memphis to your Saves list
Vista Inn Motel Downtown Memphis
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   265 Union Ave, Memphis, TN 38103 (Midtown)   |
Special Offer
Book Direct and Save 20%!
Ranked #62 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Baton Rouge, LA
“Great Value and Friendly, Accommodating Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

We were a little hesitant because of some of the reviews, and because we don't know the area well and were afraid it was too far out on the fringes of the downtown/Beale street area. But, at $60 per night, it easily beat out any other downtown hotel, so we took a chance on it - and I'm so glad we did. Yeah, it's not the Ritz, but it's very clean and the service can't be beat, and it's within walking distance of everything.
OK, some brief cons:
-No coffeemaker in the room. However, there is free coffee in the front lobby.
-Hot water took a little while to get started - shower was fine, but the sink tap didn't seem to heat up.
-As someone else mentioned, wireless was spotty, kind of went in and out. Still free, though.

Pros:
-Very close to downtown, just a short walk. We were looking for dinner at 8:30 on a Wednesday, and the woman at the front desk assured us that we'd be safe walking toward downtown - she said she did it every night alone, and that there are cops everywhere downtown anyway. Sure, we got harassed for money, but that happened everywhere that tourists were, and not especially near the hotel.
-The front desk people are super friendly and accommodating. In the morning, we were preparing to check out at 11 when we realized that the ducks would be marching at the Peabody hotel just two blocks away. The woman at the front desk was kind enough to allow us to continue storing our stuff in the room for an extra hour, just so that we could go see them. (Alternatively, they let you store stuff in the office for five dollars.)

I'm really glad we took a chance. We will definitely stay there again the next time we're in Memphis...and hey, if ambience is what you're looking for in a hotel, just walk down to the Peabody, get a drink and watch those ducks go.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

This was a good value for the locaton. The room was clean and decent for the price. We could walk to Beale St and not worry about where the car was parked. The staff was friendly and offered assistance without us asking for any. We will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

The rooms have been remodeled, but ours was pretty cramped. It looked like it used to be a single, and they squeezed in two full sized beds. Great frig and microwave. WiFi was reliable, and there is a computer in the lobby. They provide a coffeepot if you ask. As others have posted, the towels are pretty thin. Fortunately the heater worked well as it was extremely cold during our stay. Great place to stay if you have a car- all other downtown hotels charge a lot to park. I only glanced at what was offered for breakfast: an assortment of cereal, rolls, coffee. I don't think it's any less safe than more expensive downtown options. Downtown Memphis is just a high crime area. For the price you pay (especially if you have a car) I recommend the Vista.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for three nights after Christmas. Location was great. Within walking distance to Beale Street and everything in downtown Memphis. Parking was free. Continental breakfast, but it was pretty lame. A few pre-packaged pastries and milk and cereal. No juice and really no room to sit and eat. Rooms were adequate. Clean enough, although not spotless. (a little dusty) They are stingy with the towels. Had to ask for more several times, but they gladly provided more. If you are driving and can do it, I would recommend you bring your own towels as the ones from the hotel are very threadbare and small. Beds were OK, but a little on the hard side. We were a couple staying together, so did not feel unsafe in the hotel, but I would not recommend to a woman staying alone as it is on the edge of the downtown area and you have to walk by panhandlers on the way to downtown. Did not feel unsafe, just a little uncomfortable. For the value, and location, it was OK. I would stay there again as it is at least $100 cheaper than the other hotels in the immediate area. If you need to print a boarding pass, etc. the computer in the lobby costs you $5 for 30 minutes.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

I have stayed at the Vista several times. I was a little hesitant the first time because of the location, price etc. but was very pleasantly surprised and a little mad at myself because I had never tried it before. The location is excellent within easy walking to Beale st. and all downtown venues. Room with fridge and micrwave was clean and comfortable, staff was great. One day I even spoke to the owner outside whom was very friendly and personable. I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Greeneville Tn.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

Nice clean room. No windows in our room but everything was within easy walking distance. Sure there were a few bums around there but they were all good natured and friendly. Beale Street is only a block or so away. The next time I go to Memphis I will definately go there again.

• Stayed July 2010
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

I planned to stay in Memphis for 2 nights. I pulled into the parking lot and there appeared to be an abandoned building next to the inn. I checked in and figured I'd walk around a little, I was surrounded by beggars as soon as I stepped onto the street. About a block from the inn is a bus terminal with all sorts of folks lurking about. I decided that I wasn't going to feel safe walking in this area at night so I turned around, went back to the inn office and checked out. I figured I would have to pay for my first night since I didn't provide 24-hours notice but I'd get the second night back - wrong. The desk cleric, while very nice, told me flat out lies for why she couldn't refund the second night. I didn't argue, I just walked out, Let me add, the cleric didn't seem too surprised that I was checking out. The after-dark safe areas in Memphis are a few blocks. This inn may be close to the safe area but it is clearly not in that safe area!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
OSD, Franchisor at Vista Inn Motel Downtown Memphis, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
It is obvious that this guest was not from the Memphis area. This hotel is within one block of the Peabody and all the top hotels in downtown Memphis it is walking distance from Beal Street a major tourist attraction. It sits next to the brand new minor league baseball stadium. The area is in one of the safest and secure areas in the city because it is in the heart of the tourist area. The building next to the hotel is a historic landmark building and is awaiting renovation.

Been to Vista Inn Motel Downtown Memphis? Share your experiences!