“Great Wed afternoon, Oct, at Beale Street” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Beale Street

Beale Street
Memphis, TN 38103 (Midtown)
901-526-0110
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$31*
and up
Memphis Mojo Music Bus Tour
Ranked #4 of 57 Nightlife in Memphis
Type: Historic Walking Areas, Mysterious Sites, Scenic/ Historic Walking Areas, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Clubs
Activities: Nightlife
More attraction details
Owner description: Renovation and renewal have come to this historic street known as the "Home of the Blues." Flashy music clubs and restaurants abound.
Savannah
“Great Wed afternoon, Oct, at Beale Street”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

The weather was absolutely perfect! Our morning was a Graceland--what a tasteful exibit--much better than what the TV shows.

Beale Street was exactly what should be expected. Oh, yes, there were the panhandlers around but they were clean, well mannered and gave directions even after I said I could not help them today! I think I have heard about folks who go home every night to clean sheets and cocktails!

The music, the smell of bar-b-que, all at 2:00. We decided it was like a clean, mini NOLA.

Illinois/Indiana
“Best part of Memphis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

If you enjoy music and good food in a relaxed atmosphere, Beale Street is the place to be. Check out BB King's Blues Club and Rum Boogie Cafe. Street performers are always entertaining and the open air concerts in between buildings are awesome. I love the rooftop cafe at Alfred's to listen to all the different types of music being played at the same time. Inexpensive fun in casual attire (flip flops are ok)! On Beale Street it's all about the music - both legends and undiscovered talent.

Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“it was okay, but some awfully agressive beggars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

My husband and I were surprised at the pushy beggars.
Please be careful with handbags, wallets. These folks are pretty handsy, and we were sober! I can't imagine the poor partiers that get taken by the con men.They also pull the ' I'm a veteran" routine, and point to their hats. You can buy a USMC cap.
Otherwise, we thought it was just ok. The place smelled like vomit at 4 pm, and the musicians were pretty good, but pushy with their CD's for sale. You are approached to buy CD's immediatly,without a chance to hear the tunes.
So again! Be careful and if you are going to get plastered, leave your wallet in your room
T

omaha, ne
32 attraction reviews
“Not a family experience, but fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

Beale Street is exactly what you would expect. Crowded, smelly, music blaring from every open door. I mean, it's Beale Street! But Memphis has done a good job of making it safe and attractive without taking the character away. It's three blocks of bars, restaurants (mostly bbq, all very basic), and novelty and music shops. The buildings are old and, for the most part, fairly well-kept. It's definitely something to experience, but use some common sense. 1 - Don't take kids there. If you want your kids entertained, go to Disney World. 2 - If you stay into the wee hours on a weekend, expect it to get wild. If you don't want wild, go early, leave early, and stick to midweek. That's what we did and we had a great time and never once felt uneasy.

united states
“Much better than expected!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Obviously, on a street full of bars, there are going to be people drinking. That is a given. In the middle of a city, in a tourist area, there will be panhandlers. I wouldn't take my family there late at night, but honestly Beale is not at all as bad as it is made out to be on this site. My advice to you is to be alert, just as you would be walking around in any city.

When we went on a Saturday night, we (two young women) were not approached by a single unsavory character (unless you count the people working for the establishments who were trying to get us to go in). I was ready for trouble after reading this site, but I did not feel threatened at all. I actually felt safer there than I did at some other places in the city.

Beale is a fun, lively place to check out. I would not feel that my trip to Memphis would have been complete without spending some time on Beale. It is well worth your time, even if you just stroll down the street.