“Dreadful property, do not stay here ” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA Family Fun Package
Ranked #58 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Arlington, Texas
“Dreadful property, do not stay here ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

In all my years of staying in hotels, I have never once checked out of a place before my reservation was up. This Doubletree was that bad.

We were slated to stay for two nights. After arriving and checking into our room, the air conditioning was so loud and squeaky when we walked in we knew we could not sleep in the room.

We went down to the desk and asked to switch rooms. We dropped our bags off in the room, which on the surface seemed ok, and headed out for the night.

The curtains in the room were not long enough to cover the window in the room, which meant a laser like beam of light directly onto the bed. Unacceptable.

The tiles in the bathroom were broken or chipped. The wall along side the toilet was clearly either badly stained or moldy plus had some sort of white substance all over the wall. Also, the trim along the wall in the bedroom was falling off and in disrepair.

At breakfast in the restaurant in the morning, the sever handed me a plate with my omelette that was so hot I nearly dropped it. Otherwise, the breakfast was fine.

When notifying the front desk we wished to leave, Anthony at the desk said I would need to contact the Diamond desk to get my points refunded (we had paid with HHonors points).

I went to the room and called the Diamond desk, who said this was not the case. When the Diamond desk tried to call the hotel they would not answer. So I had to walk down and literally hand him my phone to talk to them.

The front office manager manager, Mattie, came out and seemed almost annoyed and unapologetic.

This hotel is a complete disaster and I would never, ever stay here again. I cannot say this in stronger terms - do not stay at this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurtis H, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Memphis, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for reaching out to share your recent experience at our hotel with the TripAdvisor community. Please know that your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us, and we apologize for the mismanagement of the situation, and for the frustration you must be facing. We are dedicated to ensuring your satisfaction, and will use your comments as part of our ongoing service training. We welcome you to contact our offices directly if we may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Kurt Harrop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Chicago, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The front desk personnel did not recognize me as a Hilton Honors member, they did not place me on the Honors floors and no amenities were afforded to me at this hotel. Additionally, my breakfast choice the following morning was not available.

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

A great place to stay and reasonable for the Memphis area. The rooms were spacious and clean, the help were all very friendly and willing to help with most anything. The only negative I had was my first impression of the check-in staff. Hardly a friendly word or smile, and that was my observation the three days I was there. Everyone else in the hotel were super friendly. I will stay there again the next time I'm in Memphis. This is also a very convenient hotel to conduct business when you need a meeting room, as there is plenty of parking and a separate entrance for clients to get to the meeting rooms.

Room Tip: Floors 7 and 8 are Hilton Honors floors and you get some extra amenities if you're on those floo...
Los Angeles, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The room needed some maintenance. Toilet seat was loose and it appeared that it had been previously repaired using “glue”;flange around the bathtub faucet was loose and there was a screw (1”) sticking out from the flange under the faucet;wallpaper near the window close to the floor lamp had split at the seams; the hook behind the bathroom door had made a hole in the wall (I’m assuming when it was open too wide and hit the wall);and the refrigerator was missing the temperature control knobs. I didn’t mention these to the front desk since I was only staying for four nights and these maintenance items weren’t major. The entrance light blew one night but when I informed the front desk, it was replaced almost immediately. I was disappointed that one of the two treadmills was broken and would not be repaired until after my departure. The hall carpet had several large stains and in front of one room there appeared to have several “bleached” stains. When I arrived I mentioned that there was part of a smashed cookie on elevator floor, which remained on the floor until the next day. Housekeeping was excellent in providing extra towels, decaf coffee and shampoo & conditioner and the room was cleaned and made up every day when I returned from work (around 2pm). Since this was a business trip the hotel choice was made for me, but I don't think I'd make my "pleasure" reservations here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Hendersonville, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed here one night. hallways were hot and humid. room was incredibly musty and humid. there was damage on the walls that was not fixed. dirt on the wall as well. laminate was peeling from the bathroom door. the dampness in the room was causing the baseboards to pull away from the wall, exposing some crumbling areas of the wall. window seal broken causing the window to cloud. one night in this room and I woke up the next morning hoarse and with a head cold. staff was great but I will never stay here again. you can tell from the modern décor and bedding that they are trying to update the façade. However, this hotel needs more than a new coat of paint. You can make a pig prettier by putting lipstick on it but it is still a pig.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kurtis H, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Memphis, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the comfort and cleanliness of your guestroom. We try to be very vigilant in this area because we know how important it is for our guests. Based upon your review, we are actively working with our housekeeping staff so this situation doesn’t happen again. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you’ll consider staying with us again so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Kurt Harrop
Lansing, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

After checking before dinner the front desk staff were very friendly and cordial - asking how my day was, in which I replied "not so great". I was quickly upgraded (already a HH Gold member) to a Jr. Suite - very nice! The executive lounge left a lot to be desired... the 'happy hour' consisted of limited hot dishes and cold fruits and veggies (better than most I've stayed) but the breakfast was FAR lower quality (both in food selection AND service - non existent).. Overall an "average" stay at what should have been a Very good or Excellent experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Hotel was very dated,parking was not good,front desk staff was okay,i am a Hilton honors member front desk did not! welcome me at check in as one,the room i reserve was giving away, because front desk was not at Hilton form,there were several issues with other guess rooms as well,the room i was giving was on a lower floor which my room was to be on higher floors only, the air condition was very noise and loud,i could here the kids on floor above running down hall, i stay with the Hilton properties all the time and this one do not live up to the standards,i would not stay again or recommend.

Room Tip: Hotel is old and dated,room air conditions are loud and you can easy hear noise anytime.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Memphis? Share your experiences!