“Fantastic View of the Mississippi River” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mud Island River Park

Mud Island River Park
125 N Front St, Memphis, TN 38103 (Downtown)
800.507.6507
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 76 Attractions in Memphis
Type: Islands, History Museums, Beaches, Parks, Scenic/ Historic Walking Areas, Theaters, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Island containing a 52-acre park that is home to the River Walk and the Mississippi River Museum accessible only by a footbridge.
Denver
17 attraction reviews
“Fantastic View of the Mississippi River”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Went there on a beautiful late fall afternoon. Enjoyed a nice walk along the river's edge. Not much to see, but it was nice getting up close to the river.

Visited November 2013

Chicago, Illinois
25 attraction reviews
“A Great Place To Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

When the gal on the monorail asked me how I heard about Mud Island, I was almost embarrassed to admit it was from theTom Cruise movie filmed in Memphis about the law firm and the mob. I visited on the last day it was open in 2013 and was able to wander around the island without the crowds I'm guessing are usually there. I took the monorail over (a really short ride) and then walked back over the pedestrian bridge. There is a great river walk exhibit that traces the Mississippi River from its source and you can follow it while looking out at the actual river itself. There is a really cool museum that is worth the time--complete with a steamboat, speakeasy, and really interesting rooms filled with Memphis/Southern/river exhibits. There's a small gift shop (you can skip it) and at one end of the island, a pond with two giant swan boats and paddle boats for rent next to a restaurant. I'm not sure I'd want to be there in the spring/summer with hordes of people but I'd say it's definitely worth a morning or at least a couple of hours if you have time to kill.

Nashville, TN
“Loved it! And it's Free!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

What a wonderful free experience! My teen and I were there for 3 hours exploring the island and walking the scale model of the Mighty Mississippi River. My teen thought to drop a pine cone into the river model and we followed it all the way to the Gulf of Mexico! That was a really neat and relaxing experience. We could see where the pine cone sped up and then at times was almost still...all based on the flow of the river in particular sections. So, if you go, either grab a fallen pine cone or bring a small floating object (e.g., a boat or fish) and enjoy the walk down the Mississippi River that way...it was really fun!

Maintenance workers were there repairing some parts of the walk way, and were very kind. We walked well beyond the scale model of the river and really explored the island on a beautiful, breezy day.

Please note that although the park is free, the parking is not. Central Parking runs the parking lot for the park, and it's $6 cash only. Also, if you want to eat there, it can be expensive... a couple of bucks for a drink is a bit high...but we didn't eat there.

If you want to pay to ride the monorail, which is $4 per person, I believe (double check the price on their website), you can walk around downtown Memphis and find something else to eat.

When we next visit Memphis, we will most assuredly go to Mud Island again!

Lawrenceville, Georgia
37 attraction reviews
“Interesting bu a bit run down!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had visited in 1995 and had fond memories. We enjoyed the exhibits which covered much history of the area. However the general condition of the place has deteriorated since our last visit! Two of the escalators were not working, the floor of the observation deck , which has great views of the river and the bridge, is buckled and unsafe. The clerk at the desk told us that we didn't want the headsets because if was just sound effects! I think he was too lazy to give them out! When we were there before the Memphis Bell was there, its gone. While the history was interesting a little more info about the individual items would have been helpful! The best part of the visit? The nice young lady on the tram recommended A and R Bar-b-que! It was great!

8 attraction reviews
“Very interesting park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We had a few hours to kill and this was very close to our hotel. It was a very nice walk and gave an interesting view of the course of the Mississippi.