“Dry Ribs, Anyone?” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Gainesville, Virginia
“Dry Ribs, Anyone?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you're in Memphis, even for just a stop over, it is worth you while to have dinner at this restaurant. I've had ribs from all over the southeastern US and Texas. The dry rub ribs in this place are the best I've ever had. It's in downtown Memphis, up some back alley way, so finding it is a bit of a hassel but worth the effort. Besides to food, the service is friendly and down home. Go there if you have the chance!

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Can't wait to experience Dejavu all over again!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

OK, Let's get to the point straight out. I ate here today, and this was one of my best dining experiences ever! I had the honey glazed chicken, with carrots and string beans and the candied yams. AWESOME!! The honey sauce with tarragon was delicious, as was the chicken. My wife loved the spinach and mushroom quesadillas and raved about them. My dtr had the tilapia topped with shrimp and crawfish and she also was VERY impressed. She tried collard greens for the first time and loved them here! Desserts (bread pudding and peach cobbler with ice cream) were also excellent!!
Time to backtrack a bit. What you are getting here is really a unique dining experience. This is southern cooking, BUT with the option of a Creole twist OR a vegan/vegetarian experience. 3 years ago, I did not know about this place and our veggie choice was barbecued tofu! This place has an excellent veggie selection.
I will point out some minor problems, and then close on the positive note this restaurant richly deserves. On the negative side, I thought the corn bread was so-so. More significant issues include the limited # of tables and seats (about 6 -8 tables and 36 or so seats), and the iffy neighborhood. The owner is planning on opening another store downtown, so that will likely solve these last issues and make this special place more easily accessible. I should also point out that the owner is working on improving the neighborhood of the current location and NOT planning on leaving the neighborhood- YAY! For now, you should be advised that this restaurant closes early, between 3:30 and 7PM depending on the day. Check out their hours and get there early!
Some closing points. I have already mentioned the great food. Prices were reasonable. Service was...... AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Words cannot adequately describe how well we were treated. We were visiting from out of town. They treated us as if we were regulars who dined there daily!
Anyway, I hope you try this exceptional restaurant and see for yourself.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wow! Should get ten stars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

If you are trying to eat healthy or want to try New Orleans style food, this is the place for you!
Friendly, attentive service. Unbelievably fresh food. Husband and I both had grilled tilapia, the BEST cornbread we ever ate, and fresh green beans. I had thefresh, cooked spinach and the spouse enjoyed the sweet potato fries. One beverage and all that delicious food was only $19.63! Not only extremely reasonable, but amazingly fresh.
Wanted to return on our trip, but staff told us Deja Vu is closed Sundays and Mondays.
Best food of our trip to Memphis!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Memphis, Tennessee
“Real New Orleans food in Memphis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The real deal. Feels like NOLA. Tastes like NOLA. The étouffée was spectacular and came with two sides. Candied yams and navy beans complemented nicely. Others had a po boy that got high marks and a jambalaya that was awesome. Seriously. This place is top notch real deal Nawlins.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glenview, Illinois
“Great local restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My Husband, daughter and I recently dined at this neighborhood restaurant. The food was terrific and the service was great. My husband had the bayou rolls and my daughter and I had the veggie rolls. We were completely satisfied and amazed at the quality of the food. Our server couldn't have been nicer.
We enjoy experiencing local restaurants, and this is one not to be missed in Memphis.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Travelers who viewed Deja Vu: New Orleans Creole Soul Food & Vegetarian Restaurant also viewed

Been to Deja Vu: New Orleans Creole Soul Food & Vegetarian Restaurant? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Deja Vu: New Orleans Creole Soul Food & Vegetarian Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.