“The Peabody-Memphis” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 134 hotels in Memphis
Timonium, Maryland
“The Peabody-Memphis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Fabulous Hotel. Our room was a king suite with lots of room. The bathrom was fairly small, but adequate. The lobby is a great place to sit and watch people and have a dessert or cocktail. The fountain with the ducks and the duck parade is a quick fun activity. Going up on the roof to overlook the city and the great Mississippi river is a wonderful 360 degree view. The shops are great quality finds. The flower arrangement in the lobby fountain is beautiful. We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay here again when we return to Memphis. Great restaurants within walking distance and Graceland a short hop away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

1,343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed my time in Memphis and at the hotel. The room I stayed in was a corner room which I assume is larger than the norms. The bathroom was small and the walls between the rooms are thin (be prepared to hear some funky notices). The lobby is pleasant and romantic with piano playing smooth tunes. Expensive bar. Staff are present and attentive but not the most friendly which isn't a bad thing. As previously said on some reviews an alarm went off twice, once at 5am. No explanation or apology was given. The pool is clean and quiet. Gym is dated but had all one needs. An expensive hotel for the city it is in.

• Stayed September 2013
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear DrunkenMonkey,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Peabody. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time in Memphis and at the hotel. I apologize for the disruption our fire alarm caused. A pull station was activated which requires evacuation until the Fire Department has thoroughly investigated the area. Luckily, it was a false alarm, but as you know, we take every step necessary to ensure the safety and security of all of our guests. I hope that you visit Memphis again soon.

Gonzales, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Due to the price and hype we were expecting the hotel to be well above average. We were disappointed. Room is very average. Lots of hall noise. Could hear the people in the room next to us. Lots of street noise. The main attraction is the "marching of the ducks." But you can see this without staying there. Marching of the ducks is a man in a red coat using a cane to prod ducks out of an elevator and into a water fountain at 11am and then prodding them back into the elevator at 5pm. The staff was not friendly. We stayed 3 nights and a fire alarm forced us to evacuate twice. We were not told if there was a fire, or just a false alarm and no apology for the inconvenience. Out of our 3 day stay our room was only cleaned twice. We had to go ask for clean towels. Lots of less expensive choices in the same area. Definitely over priced and over rated.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel in this same area.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nincy P,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Peabody. Being the only four-star property in West Tennessee, we feel that our room rate is a very good value for travelers, especially for our downtown location at the center of Memphis’ entertainment district. I understand your frustration with having to evacuate the hotel twice due to a fire alarm. Your safety and security is of the upmost importance to us at The Peabody, and I am pleased that the system worked exactly as designed. When a pull station is activated for any reason, a full evacuation is required until the Fire Dept can call an “all clear.” I apologize for this disturbance, and hope that you give The Peabody another chance upon your next visit to Memphis.

El Dorado, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Peabody was recommended to us to try so we did and was very pleased that we did. Not only was the Hotel fabulous, but also the food and of course "Duck Parade". Beale Street is just about 2 short blocks away if you love The Blues. I would highly recommend this place if ever is Memphis.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The most wonderful thing about the Peabody was the service from the bellmen and doormen! They were gracious, helpful, and professional. One would expect the same from all aspects of the "Grand Dame of the South"... Sadly, from the perfunctory service in the Lobby Bar to the indifferent presentation from room service, even to the concierge (who provided inaccurate info re; dress code in a local restaurant) disappointments abound! The hotel itself is truly beautiful, grand in that charming "old southern" way" but the repairs have not been kept up as was evidenced by the crumbling plaster and water marks on the wall in our room. Even though the delivery of room service breakfast was sad, the meal itself was indulgent and delicious! Forgot to mention the guest in the hall screaming profanities on the cell phone at aprox 2:30AM and
continued for 26 minutes... or the "trash" that was left on the table under hotel magazines...
Certainly for the price one would expect a lovely stay~

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear DWA2010,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate you bringing your experiences to our attention, as they are not common of a stay at The Peabody. I apologize for the complications you encountered with your room. We have located the cause of the issue, and have already corrected it. On your next visit to The Peabody, I urge you to alert the Front Desk if similar issues arise so that we can quickly take care of the matter for you. We never want a guest to leave disappointed with their stay. I hope that you give The Peabody another chance, and visit us again soon.

Athens, Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was my first stay at the Peabody Memphis. I work in Athens, GA as a conference and convention sales manager, so a good deal of my time is spent looking at other hotel and conference properties in the Southeast.

I was staying at the Peabody for pleasure. I absolutely fell in love with this unique property. Stepping through the doors was like stepping back in history 100 years. It was so classy and elegant. The grand piano playing in the lobby added so much to the ambiance! The service was outstanding!

I must confess that when I heard from several people that I absolutely had to watch the duck march, I thought they had lost their minds. After seeing it, I can assure you it is incredibly entertaining. The duck master and the honorary duck master were so cute and put on a great show.

The gift shop was charming! I was almost late to a concert that night because I couldn't make myself leave the gift shop. I wanted to buy one of everything.

Our guest room felt like I was walking into a spa. I loved the duck theme and the color scheme was so relaxing!

I would go back to Memphis if for no other reason than to spend a weekend at the Peabody. It is an attraction unto itself!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Kelli M,

Thank you for the kind review of your recent stay at The Peabody. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time at the “South’s Grand Hotel” and had the opportunity to witness our Duck March first hand. I hope you have the opportunity to visit The Peabody again soon.

Thanks again,
ny/nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at the Peabody twice. There are some excellent things to say in that it is clean, the room, although only average in size, is lovely, and the lobby and bar with the ducks is fun and full of atmosphere. That said, the bar is extremely expensive with only average size drinks, way too crowded and noisy; the rooms did not get cleaned until 4pm, and that was with our needing to ask that they be done, so we could get ready for our evening out with our family; there is a charge for everything--including the 2 bottles of water ($4) that are in your room with the ice buckets and glasses (not in or on a wet bar), and although there is a nice rooftop with tables, there are no comfortable chairs up there to enjoy the sun and the view. We would have stayed there again, but now that I am on tripadvisor, I see there are other fine hotels to stay at next year.

Room Tip: Tell the desk at check in that you need your room cleaned before a certain time, if you need to go b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear ajrbr615,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stays at The Peabody. As you mentioned the Peabody Lobby Bar has a very lively atmosphere, especially around Duck March times. Like other luxury hotels, special amenities including bottled water, wet bar and snacks are an extra fee. I’m glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our rooftop, and appreciate your suggestions. I hope you visit Memphis again soon.

scott.boucher@peabodymemphis.com

Been to The Peabody Memphis? Share your experiences!