“Bucket list hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Bucket list hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've wanted to stay at The Peabody every since I was little and heard about a hotel where ducks march into a fountain in the lobby. So when I decided it was time to make the pilgrimage to Graceland, there was no other choice but The Peabody. I got a little concerned with some of the reviews on Trip Advisor. I needn't have been.

I went before the renovations and kept reading about noise issues, so I called the guest services manager to see if he could recommend a room that would quieter than others. He very kindly upgraded me to an Executive King Suite. The room was absolutely lovely, quite spacious and very quiet. Even the bathroom was gorgeous and I loved the little touches like the duck-shaped soap. The room also comes with a refrigerator.

Returning from hot days of sightseeing it was so nice to have such a beautiful hotel and room to return to. The lobby of the Peabody just blew me away, so stunning. A great place to sit and have a drink while listening to the piano player. There are also some stores in the hotel. One was even the late king's tailor of choice.

There is also a number of rooftop parties. Our first night was 4th of July and we could see competing firework displays from the roof of the hotel. The next few nights there were cocktails on the roof and our final night there was a big blow out party, free to hotel guests, which included a meal, live band outside and DJ inside. The parties attract mostly 20 and 30 somethings, but all ages are represented.

If you are traveling with a child I strongly suggest splurging to make him/her the duck master for a march. I glimpsed (through the massive crowds at duck time) the faces of the honored children, and you wouldn't believe how happy and proud they looked.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Angus_Blair1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear halley3,
Thank you for staying at The Peabody during your trip to Memphis. We are honored to have been your “Bucket list hotel,” and pleased that you enjoyed your stay. As you mentioned, on Thursday nights during the summer we have Rooftop Parties from 6pm – 11pm. Hotel guests get in free the first hour. On select Friday and Saturday nights during the summer we host a Sunset Happy Hour on our roof. Both are great ways to see the sun set over the Mississippi River and downtown Memphis and relax after a long day of sight seeing. I hope you return to The Peabody again soon.

901-529-3616

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Augusta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Our daughter was married on the roof of the Peabody 6 years ago and we frequently stay here when we are visiting her and her husband. Nothing has changed except to get better each time we stay. The staff is wonderful, the rooms spacious and the bar area is so inviting and pleasant.
Charles and Kemp were on staff during the wedding weekend and still know us by name. They couldn't be more helpful and their hugs are still special and so sincere. I will miss them all as our daughter is moving to Nashville next week, but The Peabody will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Room Tip: We have never had a bad room. We love the concierge floor and our other rooms have always been spac...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear bettypowell,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to The Peabody. We are honored to have hosted your daughter’s wedding, and to hold a special place in you and your husband’s hearts. At The Peabody we are lucky to have associates that have worked with us for many years. Charles and Kemp are two of these long-tenured associates, and I will make sure they see your kind words. I hope that your travels bring you back to The Peabody again soon.

Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My friend and I decided to take a vacation over the Thanksgiving Holiday. From the moment we valeted our car to check-out we were treated first class. We had one of the older rooms but it was clean and well appointed. The only thing I will say which was disappointing was no fridge.

I want to say thank you to Tonya the housekeeper. She was probably the coolest person in the whole hotel. She gave me some old history on the Peabody and told me about the new renovations (I will be back!) I forgot to leave her a tip at the front desk so I hope she looks for it in the mail!!

This will probably be the only place I ever stay when I go to Memphis. It is within walking distance of the Fed-Ex Forum and Beale Street. Thanks Again Peabody for a Memorable Stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear lareedarnell,

Thank you for telling us about your memorable stay at the “South’s Grand Hotel.” I will pass your review on to our Housekeeping Department to ensure Tonya receives it. We look forward to your return visit to The Peabody.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Few days ago we stayed a the famous Peabody Hotel over the New Years Holidays. We had one of the newly renovated guest rooms. Love the new furniture, how extraordinar,
really nice, but who picked the weired color, we are still fighting over Magenta, off pink or Lilac.
Somehow it throws off the new room, but we sleeped like angels, everything so new and clean.
Had breakfast at the Capriccio, liked the food; but we had service with an attitude. We had to ask for water and juice twice, needed cream for our coffee. So we tried to get the attention from our waitress, Debbie or Deb, she was talking to another table on and on, when we addressed her, the response:
you see I am busy. and she went on talking. Got up looked for a manager, none there, went to an empty table and took the cream from there. Enjoyed drinks at the big bar, was to loud and relocated to the more quiet Corner Bar; Lisa was awesome. Very welcoming and great personality. Our experience extraordinare was with Chez Phillipe, not so much for the overpriced
and poorly presented food, partly cold potatoes, partly dried - over cooked chicken, or luke warm onion soup, under cooked meat. BUT our waiter Jeff was awesome, blew us away. great 5 Star Service to the point, he did not missed a thing. The Sommelier selected a great wine, was his favorite, I know now why. The Dining Room how marvelous, fantastic, just beautiful, Jeff told us all about the history and the wall paintings.
Just get the food in order and you have a winner.
Anthony the Duck Master extraordinar, so friendly, so pleasant, What a great memory.
Concierge was very helpful and friendly, took a Carriage tour, was nice.
All in all what a great stay.

Room Tip: improve service for breakfast, get a new chef Chez Phillipe, promote Jeff
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mike C,

Thank you for your detailed review. I am pleased that you were able to experience our newly-restored guest rooms, and we appreciate your compliments. Thank you for dining with us at both Chez Philippe and Capriccio Grill. I have sent your review to each restaurant so that they can correct their errors while commending their successes. I hope that you have the opportunity to return to Memphis soon, and stay at The Peabody again.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I came here thanks to a Hotwire deal in August as part of a three-city trip. The hotel itself is gigantic - do yourself a favor and opt for the valet parking, as it's quite a long stroll for the self-parking and not that much more expensive. The hotel lobby is absolutely gorgeous - to be brief, they don't make them like that anymore. Simply a sight to behold, and right in the heart of downtown Memphis.

The rooms themselves are on the small side, and the amenities are limited; no fridge, smallish TV, small bathroom. Still, the rooms were perfectly clean, and the service was topnotch, as we soon came to discover. When there, we received word that we had to fly home due to a family emergency, and the concierge, Douglas, had us on the first flight back to New York within 10 minutes. No muss, no fuss - he knew exactly who to call, how to talk to them, and got it done. He genuinely cared about the situation, and made sure we got what we needed quickly. Best customer service I've ever had.

So, for New Year's. we decided to finish the trip and spent the holiday at the Peabody. While we saw that our friend Douglas was the ceremony master for the march of the ducks, his colleagues were by no means of the same caliber at the front desk and concierge. Our request for a queen bed was ignored, and we received two twin beds instead (we declined the $75 upgrade they so conveniently had just one left of). The folks at the concierge were mediocre, with the exception of the one chap who gave us the worst directions to a restaurant on a rather rainy New Year's Eve.

The bar was a lovely place to ring in the New Year - they had an old-timey trio playing clarinet, accordion, and banjo that took requests, and the bar was a classy place to get a drink. My wife and I could have done without the drunks next door screaming about their high school football days, but security was very quick and forceful in managing the situation.

Upon checking out, we noticed that the front desk assessed us for an $11.95 "service charge" that I was offered but clearly declined, and when I asked about it, the young lady informed me it wasn't voluntary but that she'd drop it as a courtesy. She was either very kind and it was mandatory, or this is something they put on every bill regardless. Be careful.

If you don't need a large room and if ambience and luxury are boxes on your travel checklist, the Peabody is a excellent place to stay while in Memphis.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MKB1701,

Thank you for taking two trips to The Peabody. I am sorry that your first stay at the “South’s Grand Hotel” was cut short. As you noticed, Douglas also serves as our Assistant Duckmaster, and I am happy that he was more than helpful during your stays. New Year’s Eve is a very busy time for Memphis and The Peabody, and I apologize that you did not receive the size bed you requested. We do our best to meet every request, but we are unable to guarantee bed size requests, especially during times of high occupancies. Regardless of how you book your reservation, we do have a Hotel Services Fee that includes morning coffee in The Peabody Deli & Desserts, shoe shine, local calls, choice of daily newspaper, and access to The Peabody Athletic Club. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, I hope that you are able to visit The Peabody again soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Having never stayed at the Peabody, but knowing it was a four star hotel, I felt confident we would have a wonderful experience.... Wrong. From wait staff that walk right past you, not once but half a dozen times, to the point where you have to go and get your own drinks. When we brought it to the girls attention she said she was having some personal problems.... I thought we were being punked ..... We paid extra for club access only to not have our key cards work and also the keys to our room. They said they had a new key system and apparently they are working out the kinks with the customers. The valet and housekeeping staff was very nice, but the rest of the staff acted like they were doing us a favor. I have stayed at the intercontinental and the ritz and they truly live up to the name of a "fine" hotel... I will not be returning to the Peabody... Sad

• Stayed January 2013
Angus_Blair1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Dmhall05,

I apologize for the lapse in service you received during your recent visit. I assure you that the complications you encountered are not typical of a stay at The Peabody. I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention so we can use it to better train our staff.

Kind regards,
Memphis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Peabody is the grand dame of Memphis Hotels, one of those special places where you feel like you've made the big time.

Checked in for one of their delux rooms. It was a large corner room with windows inboth exterior walls, a king sized bed, tons of pillows, etc.

However, if I stay in a mid priced hotel I get these along with a refrigerator and a coffee station. Not at the Peabody. At my mid priced hotel I also get a bathroom where you can actually turn around. In the delux room we got a 7' by a 5' bath with a tub, vanity and toilet. The bath is so small you have to stand to reach the toilet paper dispenser.

Then the bed was a problem. Like most places there was a depression on one side of the bed, they haven't turned the matress in quite some time.

The biggest plus was the service level, outstanding. From the lady making the reservation to the valet on departure, everyone was friendly, courteous, helpful and so on. The other plus is the historic nature of the hotel. You do feel like you have stepped 50 years back in time.

All in all, I'd rather stayed at a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Arthur P,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody. Being a 4-star hotel, we believe it is our responsibility and our privilege to cater to our guests, offering the highest level of service. That is why we serve our guests hot and fresh coffee in The Peabody Deli and Desserts each morning instead of expecting our guests to brew their own. However, if you prefer a coffee pot and refrigerator in your room, our Housekeeping Department is happy to provide them. I hope that you stay at The Peabody again soon.

Kind regards,
angus.blair@peabodymemphis.com

Been to The Peabody Memphis? Share your experiences!