“Dirty and rude” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Memphis - Poplar Avenue

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Memphis - Poplar Avenue to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Memphis - Poplar Avenue
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6500 Poplar Ave., Memphis, TN 38119 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #87 of 134 hotels in Memphis
Hudson, NH
“Dirty and rude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

As a woman traveling alone, I specifically picked this hotel because the neighborhood that it is in is rated as very safe. The hotel looked GREAT from the outside, but once I got into my room I regretted my choice. First off, I RESERVED a smoking room, which I did not get ("We'll have one tomorrow" ... hey, I'll be in Virginia by tomorrow), so it was either no smoking or go outside at night by myself. Didn't smoke. Didn't sleep, either, as the bed was uncomfortable and the walls were paper thin and the neighbors were yelling at each other and their kids (not just one room ... it seemed like the entire floor was full of yelling families). Did not feel safe at all. Not my first bad hotel in Memphis, but will be my last. Avoiding that whole city like the plague.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

It's not all bad people. Especially if you know what to expect. I've stayed at several Extended Stay brand hotels in other cities and they are all pretty similiar except for the extras they offer. When I arrived the room requested was unavailable so the young man at the front desk told me that he was upgrading me to a deluxe suite because of this. The room was good. It was neat, clean and spacious. It had a kitchen with refrigerator and microwave and stove burners, and the wireless is free. This place does not clean rooms daily. Apparently houskeeping comes once a week if your staying a week a more. Not bad since most adults clean up after themselves anyway and there is the option to pay for additional services as with most long term lodging places. I did have to exchange my towels at the front desk but it was a fairly easy process. Definitely nothing to complain about. The staff was nice, I was able to sleep which is all I really expected when home away from home. I recommend those looking for higher end services to chose a higher end hotel. However, if looking for a clean, safe, budget hotel this is one of the better places you should choose.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Martinez, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was the WORST "hotel" I have ever stayed in! I was shocked at the poor condition of my first room, and was grudgingly switched to another room. I could write a 2 page list of things that were wrong with it (the hotel). Door handle broken, tub broken, NO towels in room, air conditioner broken - in the first room. Horrible smells in second room, lights broken, bed with stained bed sheets, carpet stained, fridge dirty. Hallways outside smell very foul. Staff goes home at 11 pm. The guy who checked me in was talking to some girl on his cell the entire time he was checking me in. He barely acknowledged my existance. He was aggitated that I asked him a question I had.

Room Tip: Stay out of this hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Staying here for work, company takes care of booking rooms, that parts nice, but I would choose another place to stay for a long period of time, the rooms don't get cleaned unless you ask, and even then it's not "clean", they have a towel issue for sure, never seem to have towels, you have to bring yours down and leave them to be washed, you might get them back same day.. Started a new free breakfast this month, granola bars, fruit and muffins.. But don't try to get more than 2, you will get called out! Staff is nice, just need more to work with..

• Stayed January 2013
Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Just taken over by Extended Stay America and they have no idea what they are doing. I booked the room using priceline name your own price and when I got there they could not find the reservation. They told me there were no single rooms availabe and then wanted to charge me again for a double room. I refused and they made me get out my laptop and prove I made the resrvation and when i did they finally called the manager who talked the night clerk through the process. Finally found my reservation and when they gave me the key it was a room with single full size bed. The bed cover was stained, the chair ottoman was stained and I kept my socks on while walking on the carpet. Left early in the morning with no breakfast and no shower. The sheets appeared clean but the rest of the room was and the hallways were in sad shape.

Room Tip: Choose someplace else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The room was not really fit for paying customers. The staff was arrogant and rude. We tried to check in at 2:50 and was told that the rooms would not be ready for 10 minutes. Based upon the room, I know they were not cleaning my room. The security latch was broken, the faucet leaked, the chairs had giant stains, the closet doors were missing, you only get a bar of soap (no shampoo), the sheets are sandpaper quality, and the towels smelled of chemicals. The toilet did work.

Room Tip: Check the room before checking in
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
mzubair, Manager at Extended Stay America - Memphis - Poplar Avenue, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
"Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here for 6 weeks. The employees could not be more rude and lazy. They are incapable of even the most basic hotel tasks. Bring your own towels and keep them in your car, the staff will steal them. Fridge didn't work, window leaked, both chairs had only three legs. The hotel stinks so bad - I think they were going for "pine" but it comes out as bong water.. Forget cooking - boiling an egg will set off the fire alarms. Also, the manager will just randomly turn off your keys while she "checks the locks". I sincerely do not have one single solitary thing to say about this hotel that isn't damning. Seriously, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
"I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Been to Extended Stay America - Memphis - Poplar Avenue? Share your experiences!