“Struggling to see why this gets such great reviews, but ok overall” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Downtown

You added Comfort Inn Downtown to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 N Front St, Memphis, TN 38103 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #12 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Hampshire, UK
“Struggling to see why this gets such great reviews, but ok overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2006

I must be honest, I'm bemused, given the great reviews this hotel gets!

It's not too bad overall, but it's not as good as I expected it to be (perhaps my expectations were over-inflated by all the reviews)

The good bits first:
*The staff are friendly enough, but nothing spectacular.
*Breakfast is included in the rate, and if you just want cereal, waffle or baguel, it's ok.
*The rooms are of a good size, and resonably modern
*So overall, it does the job
*Plus, the bed is comfortable enough

But then there are downsides that take the edge off for me:
*The room we have has a pretty old and grubby bathroom. It's doesn't look or feel clean, although to be fair I think it's probably cleaner than it looks.
*The location isn't ideal, being a 5-10 min walk from the centre of the action. This is fine in the daylight, but it feels quite intimidating at night. You can take a tram/trolley from the back of the hotel, but this still means a short dark walk.
*There is an odd 'mechanical' smell around the elavators, which look tired and old. This doesn't give me huge confidence, but I'ms sure they're OK. The smell was enough one morning to wake us up!
*Old and noisy aircon in the rooms (although it is effective)
*If, like us, you get a room with an adjoining door, you can hear every word from your neighbours (more than you'd normally expect with such adjoining rooms).

So my summary for this place is 'OK, does the job, but not as well as I'd have hoped for'.

p.s. Went to the Peabody hotel, and despite some dubious reviews on here it looks pretty spot on to me in the atrium area (although obviously I couldn't see any of the rooms). On this admittedly small snashot of this hotel, I'd pay a little more and stay here if I ever came back to Memphis, no question!

Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2006

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Downtown Memphis, and we loved it. The service was great. All of the staff was courteous and polite. The room was spacious and clean. We loved the free high speed internet. We were confused about how to get the micro-fridge to work. We naturally thought that it was broken when the fridge wasn't getting cold. We called maintanance who arrived within 20 minutes of our call. Maintenance was very nice. He instructed us as to what switch to flip to get the fridge to working. We had a great view of the pool, which we didn' t get a chance to use. The pool is located on the roof. The parking is nice and a safe place to keep your car. The breakfast that the hotel offers consists of biscuits and gravy, waffles, danishes, cereals, and juice. The hotel is a great location for walking downtown to sites like Beale St. The trolley is just a block away, and is a great means of transportation. If you are going to places downtown, I would suggest to just walk versus waiting on the trolley. By the time you wait on a trolley with vacant seats, you could have walked to where you are going. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a downtown hotel, and who doesn't want to spend a lot of money.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

Good Value, Large Room, Clean, very close to trolley. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would stay here again and recommend to friends and family!

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2006

Stayed for 5 nights in June, spending 4 days seeing the sights of Memphis. The Comfort inn is situated on the top of a parking garage next to the river.

The hotel was fully booked when i arrived and i got a room on the top floor (15th) on the rear side - no river view! The room felt dark and the plant from the surronding buildings was very noisy. I changed rooms on my last night, getting an identical room on the 14th floor, overlooking the river. Had i had this room to begin with i would probably have felt more positive about my stay.

I have read reviews that state the hotel rooms have been refurbished, but it seemed that this had been done a while ago. The rooms and the public areas all look grubby. The decor in the rooms doesnt help as the colours are dark brown/ yellows which dont make it feel fresh. The pool is on the top of the parking garage next to the tower of rooms. The area is shared with a pool for an ajoining apartment block and the two pools are divided by a chain link fence that spoils an otherwise impressive outlook.

Breakfast stops at 9am in the week which if you are on vacation means no late nights, so i missed it a couple of times. Very basic fare but better than nothing. I didnt like the throwaway plastic cutlery and polysterene plates.

However I have no complaint about the staff, all of whom where very friendly, polite and helpfull. If you are in town for a couple of days, worth considering.

Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

We stayed here on June 10, 06. The room was roomy. It is about 5 min. away for beale street, but just ride the trolley line($1.00 one way). We didnt walk back since got the last trolley about 12:45am. Parking is very sercure, but the lot did get full so after we got back from shopping, the car stayed put. I would stay here again because of the price/parking. I feel so cramped in room/ bathroom like the Holiday Inn. The thing negative was the distance but that's what the trolley is for. Easy to get to from the interstate also.

Baltimore MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

If you want a clean room, a view, convient location and a very friendly staff for a great price (I paid less than $100 per night) stay at Comfort Inn in downtorm Memphis. Memphis is small enough to walk everywhere, but the trolly is right out the back and cabs are everywhere. As others have mentioned, ask for a with a view.

LaBelle, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2006

The Comfort Inn staff were very pleasant and accommodating. We stayed on the 10th floor and the maid Vivian was exceptionaly pleasant and accommodating. I would highly recommend this hotel and the location.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Comfort Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!