“My "home away from home"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East

Save Saved
You added Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East to your Saves list
Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1070 Ridge Lake Blvd., Memphis, TN 38120 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 135 hotels in Memphis
Conway, Arkansas, United States
“My "home away from home"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband recently had a heart transplant and when he was discahrged from the hospital, we stayed another 2 week at this property. I wish I would have known about this property 3 months previously! All the staff were very friendly, and remembered me and my preferences. Any issues that I brought up to the staff were immediately corrected. I had forgotten to request the light touch housekeeping on the weekend, but was given extra trash bags and towels to compensate. Any time I needed a shuttle, I just needed to ask. I learned that it is better to book the shuttle in advance, particularly if you will need to be at your destination at a particular time. On Sunday morning, I did not book in advance and the shuttle went to the airport to pick up travellers and I was late for church. Otherwise, perfect! Great food, wonderful happy hours.

Room Tip: We were in an handicapped acessable room on the fourth floor, but it had a step-in shower/tub. We r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write this nice review of your stay. We wish you had found us three months earlier as well, but we are happy that you DID find us. It was our pleasure to have you with us during your husband's recovery time. We all understand the stress this type of procedure can cause and it's our goal to make your stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible. I hope he continues on the path to a full recovery and we would be honored to have you visit us again if he needs follow ups at the hospital or just for a chance for you to get away and take a break. Wishing you both the best, Bob Cox, General Manager.

284 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
DeLand, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed here for 5 months. The employees are very dedicated and do everything to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Great daily free breakfast and happy hour and a meal free Mon-Thurs - can't beat that! Loved all the front desk personel! Will be going back whenever we are in Memphis.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pool area which is very pretty!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
It was great having you stay with us during your time in Memphis. We really appreciate the kind words about our staff and our hotel. We do everything we can to make all our guest feel at home and comfortable. I look forward to seeing you back in the future. Come visit often! Thank you for taking your time to review your stay with us. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

A rock-bottom weekend rate and outstanding reviews here attracted us to this hotel, our first experience with the Staybridge brand.

First the good news: this hotel's welcome was among the warmest we've received in decades of travel. Damon remembered every detail of my call from the road to book the room, greeted me like an old friend and later popped up to our room to our room when I called to report a minor problem as he was about to head home at the end of his shift. Someone else could have taken care of this but I appreciated the personal touch. Everyone on the staff seems truly committed to customer service. At checkout, the usually routine question about our stay seemed to come from the heart. The desk clerk actually made a note of my suggestions for the hotel gym.

More good news: the hotel is across the highway from a movie theatre, around the corner from a mall and a short drive to good local restaurants (we recommend the Blue Plate for breakfast and Corky's for barbecue).

Now for the downside: while clean, this hotel is a little on the faded side, in an older building that feels a bit cramped by today's standards. Getting the luggage cart into our room was unexpectedly challenging. The mattress was markedly less supportive than the one we slept on at our next stop, Staybridge's sister hotel in Fayetteville, AR. I woke up many times during our two nights in Memphis.

Bottom line: a perfectly acceptable stay with moments of real distinction but we'll look elsewhere on our next trip to Memphis.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I am quite disappointed that you were disappointed with your stay. Our hotel isn't the newest in the Staybridge family, but we do our best to make our guests comfortable and feel at home. The nice comments about our staff, and Damon in particular, were nice to see. I'm sure it will mean a lot to them all to have their efforts recognized. I hope you will reconsider your decision not to return. We would love to have you back again. Thank you again for taking your time to write this review. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed at the Memphis Staybridge for four weeks on business. Top-to-bottom, this is a phenomenal place to stay - especially for an extended period of time.

The front desk staff was more than helpful and the cleaning personnel was on top of it everyday! (if you're a slob like me, TIP WELL!!!)

This place is so accomodating that when I realized I had left some clothes (two weeks after leaving!) I called them up, they tracked down my stuff, and had it shipped off. I left a card to pay but I don't think I was even charged.

Absolutely awesome place! LB is the MAN down in the food service area. Good food and drinks on the house every weekday from 5:30 to 7:30 pm. Met a lot of good people down there.

Room Tip: the only negative was that the pool and spa were outside and closed while I was there. Of course it...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
It was so great having you with us during your month in Memphis. Thank you for all of the great comments regarding our hotel and our team. L.B. is truely a gem and takes superb care of our guests during the Social. I will make sure he knows that you appreciated his service. Please come back to visit us the next time you find yourself coming our way. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Every time I am in Memphis I come to Staybridge. The rooms are clean and the staff is extremely friendly.I love the happy hour and the evening cook JB. He is absolutely amazing!!! I normally come by myself and he makes my evenings lovely. He clears your tables, always speaks and smiles, no matter what kind of day it is, he is always smiling. I honestly love coming here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
It is such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay again. I'm always open to comments from our guests but to hear such raves about one of our team members such as LB is exceptionlly nice. I hope you will continue to use us as your home away from home whenever you are in Memphis. Thank you for taking your time to write this review of your stay. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We flew in to Memphis in the middle of an ice storm and was looking for a place to stay a couple of nights until the roads cleared . We had 3 adults and got a 2 bed suite which was very roomy. It had pretty much a full kitchen with basic supplies. I had stayed here on weekends before but mid week they provide and evening social on tues, wed & thurs which is basically pretty good snacks and drinks. All of the employees were very very nice except for one in the food service area which I discussed with the manager and he seemed to take my issue seriously. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for giving us your review of your stay with us. We sincerely appreciate all comments from our guests. I'm happy we were able to help you and your family during the ice storm last week. They are always such a pleasant weather surprise for our area. I distinctly remember our converstation about the food and beverage department and I can assure you that we have taken the appropriate action. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I hope to see you back whenever life brings you back to Memphis. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
Conway, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is my business home away from home in Memphis.

I travel to Memphis regularly and have found the Staybridge suites to be an excellent value.

The employees are very helpful and courteous and the hotel is very clean and comfortable.

I highly reccomend the Staybridge suites.

• Stayed January 2013
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
I don't think we've ever been referred to as "SWEET", but I can certainly get used to that! Thank you for staying with us when you're in Memphis. It's great that you feel like we're your home away from home. That's exactly what we want our guests to feel. Please hurry back. We are excited about having you as a return guest. I really appreciate the nice comments, as does the entire team. It means so much to them to hear these great remarks. Thank you! We look forward to seeing you soon. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager

Been to Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East? Share your experiences!