“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East

You added Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East to your Saves list
Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1070 Ridge Lake Blvd., Memphis, TN 38120 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special Weekend Rate!
Ranked #5 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Broadview, Illinois
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

The staff ( especially Matt and Natalie) were very helpful. Our room for four nights was like having an apartment. All amenities we could want. The evening Monday to Thursday free wine and beer plus appetizers was more like an evening meal. Great also. Close enough to all the sites we wanted to see. Very friendly atmosphere . We would stay here again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Your comments are the greatest compliment we can have. We always want our guests to feel like this is their home away from home. Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to our city. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay for us. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Booneville, Mississippi, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

We recently stayed at this facility due to my mom's eye surgery. The staff was extremely friendly and the suite was a very nice size. We were very well pleased.. Thanks Staybridge. I will be staying again...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
WOW! Thank you so much for the great review. We sincerely appreciate you and your family staying with us. Please choose us again the next time you're in Memphis. I hope your Mom's recovery is going well and please give her our best wishes. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager.
Auburn, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

The staff was very friendly when I arrived for my one night stay. The suite was decent size and the room was clean. I slept like a rock so I’m going to say the bed was comfortable. Looks like they have an evening reception Monday through Thursday with food and drinks so if your staying for the week it might be something to consider. I’m not sure how old this hotel is, and it didn’t look that old but the decor reminded me of the 70’s. Just seemed odd but maybe it’s just me.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
We certainly appreciate your review of our hotel and we are equally as happy that you slept so well. We do have an evening reception during the week, so please come back to visit us and enjoy a relaxing end to your day. Thank you for taking the time to give us your review. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011 via mobile

The suite is a nice size, with everything one would need for a comfortable stay- except for the televisions. They are very dated and have poor picture quality. Flat panel televisions, even lower quality ones, are pretty standard in a hotel of this class, and even in hotels of lesser class. I'd say that they are well worth the investment, especially for a hotel catering to business travelers who would likely spend much of their time on site, and not out sight seeing. That as an aside, everything else was nice and clean (with the exception of some questionable hairs found under the pull-out sofa mattress, which one would likely never notice unless the mattress didn't unfold on it's own without some assistance as in the case with my stay. I can see why housekeeping would miss them in such a spot).

• Stayed September 2011
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We will be resolving the issue you brought up regarding our TVs very soon. We are scheduled to replace all of our TVs within the next couple of months. I certainly unerstand your concern regarding them and I can assure you our company is working toward correcting this deficiency. I have also spoken with our housekeeping staff about the sofa sleepers and we are ensuring that all mattresses be removed and checked regularly. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to being your hotel of choice the next time you are in Memphis. Best regards. Bob Cox, General Manager
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed here so as to be near the airport for our daughter's 5.30am flight and our 4.20pm flights home.

Unfortunately my husband had been extremely ill with a migraine all day and we had had a long drive. When we reached the hotel, we found we were in a room next to the lift and the air con unit was right next to the bed and the panel vibrating and the noise was just too much for someone in the grip of a severe migraine. I asked if we could have another room and was told that none was available. So he had to choose between the rising heat or the noise of the vibrating grille and the fan, To be fair, Demetria did offer to send up the maintenance man to see what he could do, but Tim was too ill to have lights on in the room.

So clearly our first impression of the hotel was not good, compounded by the fact that although I had booked this room for 3/4 several weeks ago, no one had thought to make up the sofabed. Demetria told me to find the bedding in the dresser, and did not offer to send someone up to make the bed up.

As I said, we were opposite the lift.(Interestingly in all three ICHotel group places we stayed this trip, we, as Priority Club members, found ourselves right opposite the lift, listening to the pings all night) We were up at 3.30am to take our daughter to the airport and then went back to bed to get some more sleep to make up for the disturbed night. Imagine our delight when 3 housekeeping staff went on their rounds at 8.30am, not just knocking and entering rooms, but calling out to each other, slamming doors, banging their carts and laughing and joking at the lift area. I appreciate that the majority of the guests were business people and so were likely to be out by that time, but there were still a fair few who were not. The hotel runs a free shuttle to the airport and so staff should be aware that not everyone wants to be woken at that time.

On the positive side, Demetria was very pleasant and, I believe, as helpful as she could have been in the situation. The free pasta and salad provided that evening was very welcome, as was the beer. Our adult children used the gym and found it good and we used the business centre to print our boarding passes. The selection of magazines available to read was a nice touch,

Overall, a good hotel, but watch out if you want to lie in.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
I am so sorry you weren't able to get a good nights rest. I understand how it can be when you are not feeling well. It is our policy not to make the sofa sleepers upon arrival, as many guests find that when linens are placed on the sofa sleeper and then folded away, the bedding becomes wrinkled and uncomfortable. We have found it to be more appealing to most of our guests to simply find the clean linens in the drawer or closet. Usually we do have a couple of options for our guests to change rooms, however, on your occassion, we were apparently sold out. I have spoken to our housekeepers about the noise to make sure we do not disturb our guests. Please accept my apologies and do return to visit us again in the future. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

I stayed for a (2) week business trip. The staff was incredible; Penelope & Michael at the front desk, Eric the van driver, LB and his weekend partner( I'm sorry, I don't know the name of the lady that does weekends) who provides an excellent hot morning breakfast and evening snack. The only "complaint" that I had is that the hot tub next to the pool was out of service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Thanks for all the great comments. We are all very proud of our entire team and love to hear the nice comments about them. I will be more than happy to make sure they all hear and see what you wrote. It is very gracious of you to take time out of your busy day to let us know how we are doing. Sorry about the spa, we are awaiting parts to get this taken care of. Hopefully when you return you will be able to use it. We look forward to seeing you again. Thanks once again for letting us know how we did. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011 via mobile

Spent two weeks at the Staybridge while in Memphis for training. The hotel was wonderful! I'll start with housekeeping: I am VERY picky and thoroughly checked my room when I arrived. Everything looked clean. I was surprised (but appreciative) when I left a glass in the sink one morning while in a rush, and when I came back it was in the dishwasher! I ran into a couple housekeeping staff in the hallways throughout my stay, and each time they greeted me with a smile and asked if I was enjoying my stay. I did not catch their names but the genuine friendliness was across the board.
The front desk staff were wonderful too! Very personable and again, always ready to greet me with a warm smile. They gave me great advice about where to go around town and always followed-up with "how did it go?"
The hotel has a shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius. The shuttle drivers were so friendly too! My favorite, hands-down, was Eric. He juggled a large group of us with different interests and I never waited long. I'm also a horrible backseat driver but I felt safe with Eric. He drove well, recommended places to go to, and warned us about areas we would probably want to avoid.
Now the food. The Staybridge offers a free breakfast buffet, not just continental, everyday and happy hour Monday -Thursday. The breakfast offers a huge variety--bagels, eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, oatmeal, waffles and the list goes on! The happy hour offers free beer and wine and a small meal (I.e. sloppy joes, egg rolls, tacos...). The only thing better than the variety and the quality of the food is the man who makes it--Mr. LB! He is the nicest man and so accommodating. I was part of a large group who insisted on sitting together all the time. Mr. LB allowed us to move tables and chairs and never told us to turn the volume down despite the fact that we were very loud at times. He went as far as to bake cookies for our group...twice!!
If I had to sum up the Staybridge in a few words...clean, accommodating, and welcoming. As home-sick as I was feeling, the staff really made me feel better. I hope I have the opportunity to come back soon. Thank you Staybridge staff!!

• Stayed August 2011
WOW! What a wonderful review. I'm happy our team pulled together to make your stay exceptional. We all take pride in guest service and it is always a pleasure to hear we succeeded. Thank you for being our guest for the two weeks you were here. I will most definitely pass your comments along to the entire team. It means a great deal to them to know that our guests appeciate the hard work they do on a daily basis for you. You are why we are here, and we hope to do nothing more than improve our service each and every day. Thank you again for taking the time out of your day to let us know what you think. Best regards and please come back to visit us again soon. Bob Cox, General Manager

Been to Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East? Share your experiences!