“Some bumps but a nice stay overall.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn 2X Points
Ranked #9 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Des Moines, Iowa
“Some bumps but a nice stay overall.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is an overall nice hotel with a good location and friendly staff. The complimentary breakfast was above average and the common areas were spacious and well-appointed. Free coffee is available 24 hours a day and wireless internet is included as well.

We got a 2-room suite to accommodate our four-person family. We were disappointed to find that the refrigerator wasn't cold when we arrived--we pulled it out and saw it wasn't plugged in. When we plugged it in, it made a loud noise so apparently was malfunctioning. We reported it to the front desk and the person there offered several solutions including changing rooms and having a maintenance person come look at the refrigerator, but none of the solutions was convenient for us so we lived with the nonfunctioning refrigerator. She did try, though, to fix the problem.

In the afternoon of our second day there was construction in the hallway outside our room and in the room next door, and unfortunately it was at the same time that our toddler was trying to take a nap. There was also construction in other areas of the hotel including off the lounge and on the patio outdoors.

This seems like a nice property overall with a good location and a very friendly staff but the issues that we had were somewhat disappointing. I would still stay at this hotel again if I was in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel room was very clean, and I am extremely picky about cleanliness. The staff was excellent as well. I had made my reservation through the 1-800-Hampton number and was told if the hotel didn't have two queen beds when we arrived they guaranteed a roll away for our 3 year old. When we arrived they only had a room with a king and no roll away available. It was 12:30 A.M. when we arrived so we just took the room and had a rough night sleep with three of us in the bed. The next morning I talked to Andrew at the front desk and he went above and beyond to correct the issue. We were very pleased and will definitely stay here again. Also, the breakfast selection was great, and the A.C. was very cold and kept the room at the perfect temperature.

Chapel Hll, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

A very nice hotel with friendly staff. Extremely helpful. Rooms are very nice. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Memphis area. Can walk to shops and restaurants in shopping center next door. Offers a shuttle to airport and surrounding area.

Georgetown, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We really like Hampton Inn's when we go out of town. The staff is always courteous and helpful, the rooms are very clean and comfortable, and they do a nice breakfast. This hotel is no exception. It is located in the Germantown area which is a suburboan and seemed to be very safe. It is very close to Poplar Ave, but it is a quiet area. There are many restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive. I will say if the pool is important, they do have a small one outside. You have to walk back through the breakfast area to get from your room to the pool. Other than that, I would stay at this hotel again if we are ever in the area!

Yokosuka, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Famiy of three. Great room. 2 Double beds were not available, but the 1 King bed fit us all perfectly fine. Fantastic lobby & lounge area. Complimentary breakfast was decent (everything but the fresh fruit was good), but ended up going to Cracker Barrel 3 of 4 days (about 10 mins away by car). Housekeeping did a great job on daily basis. Our bed was turned down the 1st night with mints so that was a nice touch. Target shopping center in very close proximity was convenient.

Chester, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Overall the amenities are good for the price. However, I asked for a wake up call and it never came. My colleague received his 15 mins late. Room smelled a a little musty, but was comfortable and free internet that worked was a plus! Fitness center is small, but will meet most needs. The area is fairly quiet and VERY accessible and close to the airport. Breakfast is basic and is good for the room price.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I traveled to the Shady Grove property on business last week. I flew into Memphis late so checked in later in the evening. I went up to my room and was hit with a wave of smoke when I walked in. This being a non-smoking room and me being a non-smoker I was immediately disgusted. I went down to the concierge to have my room changed and to my dismay, they couldn't change my room that night because all rooms were full. They offered to put this light in my room to absorb the smoke... but it was late and I just wanted to go to bed and my sheets and pillow smelled strongly of smoke.

Then next day they moved my room, but the damage was done. My clothes from the night before reeked of cigarette smoke. Although the morning manager was extremely pleasant and knew exactly who I was when I came to the counter the next morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Memphis-Shady Grove Road? Share your experiences!