“Not my typical Hampton Inn experience!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now & save 15%
Ranked #25 of 134 hotels in Memphis
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Not my typical Hampton Inn experience!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was not informed the fitness center was under repair at the time of booking the hotel. I also had a terrible room location, across from the cleaning/maintenace area. It was extremely noisey.
I would hope as a diamond hilton honors member I would have a better room selection.

Room Tip: Do not stay on first floor. To much noise near the cleaning staff and maintenance area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ogm22, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis - Southwind, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. We definitely "dropped the ball" not notifying you of the fitness room refresh and the location of your guest room...not the way we outrageously please our Diamond members. We recognize that as a diamond member you are traveling quite frequently and want you to know that we value your loyalty to the Hilton family of hotels and the Hampton Inn brand. My sincere apology for the inconvenience you endured and the average customer service you received. We hope you will consider staying with us again should your travels bring you back to Memphis.

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in November of 2012. This hotel was clean overall. The bathroom was fine. The funiture in the suites and the carpet needs to be updated. The carpet overall is in need of replacement especially the carpet in the elevator. The climate in the room was acceptable. The AC in the room was a bit loud but tolerable. The bed was very comfortable and I had no problem sleeping. Everyone I came into contact with was very nice and hospitable with two exceptions. There were two ladies running the breakfast in the morning. The smaller one was very nice and acknowledged your presence. The other one stared at the ground with a frown on her face and one day was walking around in flip flops while serving food. The other issue is that the ran out of papers, and I told the lady up front. She said I could walk next door and get one from the Homewood suites. I felt that if she new she was short then why didn't she walk next door and get them for the people that did not get them delivered to their door. Maybe I am being picky but it rubbedd me the wrong way that morning. The other major plus is that it located close to a lot of places to eat and shop. There was a Red Lobster, Cheddars, Logan's Steakhouse, Olive Garden, Half Shell, among several others. I come to this area a lot and will most likely use it again mostly because of proximity.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. My sincere apology that we did not outrageously please you with great customer service but instead we were average. I just wanted to let you know of a few changes that have been made since your stay. We have addressed your staffing concerns in the Breakfast and Front Desk areas; for all our tech savvy guests, the USA Today is now offered digitally by accessing the internet from any wireless device while at the hotel; and we are currently working with a designer to complete renovations on the lobby area and corridor carpets…and this is just the beginning. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in the Memphis area.
Chickasha, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed for two nights and not once did I have an issue. Usually a non smoking room still reeks of smoke. Mine didn't! The bathroom was huge compared to embassy suites. I had breakfast both mornings and was pleasantly surprised. The buffet was delightful.
My experience with the employees was always positive and the location is great. Last time in Memphis I stayed on Elvis Presley blvd and it was scary. This was a very nice, well kept part of town and I'll definitely go back there again.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for the positive feedback regarding your stay with us. We hope to be your hotel of choice should your travels bring you back to the Memphis area. We have refreshed the fitness room and are currently working with a designer to renovate the lobby area. Hope to see you soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is the standard Hampton and the room was OK. The amenities were the issue. Started by wanting a cookie when we arrived after driving 6 hours. Cookies only Mon-Thur, guess the weekend guests don't rate. Went to use the internet and it was unusable, it would take 4-5 minutes to open a page if it did not time out. Thought it might be the wireless so went to the business center for wired with same results. Asked the desk clerk about rebooting the router and he replyed what is a router. I had to make some future reservations, check email and some other accounts but not then. Went for coffee to relax and the three containers were ice cold. Breakfast was icky. The eggs they had looked like dried cottage cheese curds. They also had the premade microwaved egg omlets that were overdone and brown on the edges. Not a good experince for Hampton. Have had good sucess with Comfort Suites and Best Western Plus at about 25-50 a night less. I will stick with them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ogm22, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis - Southwind, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback; we understand your disappointment and we certainly apologize for the internet and breakfast issues you experienced. Our complimentary hot breakfast is made up of traditional breakfast items, but may also include local dishes. We appreciate your suggestions and will take them under consideration. On your next visit to the area, we hope you come visit us again so we can provide you with excellent service and the warm Hamptonality we are known for.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Lovely stay , great location, breakfast was ample food and choice" good service. Would choose to stay there again.
Loved the southern hospitality that is Tennessee.and will be back for another visit ..

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for the positive feedback regarding your stay with us. We hope to be your hotel of choice (so we can provide you with more Southern Hospitality) should your travels bring you back to the Memphis area.
poetry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Clean room, crisp sheets, excellent breakfast offerings, the kids loved the pool. Good value for the money. Off the main drag, but we were able to get to Beale Street & Graceland without too much bother. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in a room with 2 doubl beds....we are used to asking for a double and getts two QUEEN beds...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Just outside of Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The outside of the hotel and the lobby were deceiving because it looks very nice until you get to the room. The room was very dark and small for a king suite. The decor was very old fashioned. However, the room was clean. The front desk, housekeeping, and the rest of the staff was very friendly. They had quite a spread for breakfast! It is in a great location. They only have 1 washer and 1 dryer which made it difficult when you are there for a week with a 7 year old ball team. The 1 dryer didn't work half the time we were there. I went down the street to a laundrymat to wash clothes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ogm22, General Manager at Hampton Inn Memphis - Southwind, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing a review about your stay with us on Trip Advisor. I understand that the appearance of you room felt outdated, and we are working to correct that. We hope to revamp our guestrooms in the coming months and will take yours and comments like yours into consideration as we do so. I do apologize for any inconvenience caused by our laundry services, and will have our maintenance team look into correcting the dryer issue. I do hope the next time your travels bring you to the area you will stay with us again; we would love to have you. Thank you!

Been to Hampton Inn Memphis - Southwind? Share your experiences!