“Most Accommodating Stay I've EVER Had” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Memphis-I-240 at Thousand Oaks Hotel

You added Memphis-I-240 at Thousand Oaks Hotel to your Saves list
Memphis-I-240 at Thousand Oaks Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2700 Perkins Rd. South, Memphis, TN 38118 (Formerly Hampton Inn)   |
Ranked #52 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Florida
“Most Accommodating Stay I've EVER Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

First, let me point out I am a seasoned traveler throughout the United States and Europe. I have led student groups, traveled with family and friends, and traveled on business. I have stayed at hotels ranging from barely adequate to luxurious. With that being said, I can in all honesty write that the people who work at this Hampton Inn are by far the most accommodating, gracious, and sensitive to a traveler's needs of any hotel I have ever stayed. Shawn, the general manager, went out of his way to correct a booking error made by the agency that originally booked one of the rooms for us. The housekeeping staff keep the rooms immaculate. The head of housekeeping even went out and bought a new crib for my 1-year-old grandson because the one they had was in poor condition--and we did not ask her to do this! The entire staff, from the reception desk to housekeeping to maintanence, were personable, always greeting us with a smile and "have a nice day." One of the maintanence men even gave my grandson a package of Ritz bits. The breakfast goes from 6am to 10am, allowing time for those who like to sleep in to still eat. There is a good variety: bagels, bread, croissants, and muffins (type changes each day); an egg selection (this also changes each day; we had scrambled eggs with cheese and ham pieces the first day and a western omelet the next); bacon one day and sausage patties the next; a variety of different flavored yogurts and juices; waffles; mixes for oatmeal and hot chocolate, and coffee. And all this is included in the price of the room. While the location is about 10 minutes from downtown Memphis, it is easily accesible to it and other areas surrounding Memphis as the hotel is next to I240. Rooms must be sound proof because I didn't hear any traffic. There are a number of fast food restaurants within walking distance: Taco Bell, I Hop, Arby's, and Popeye's. The hotel is in a commercial area that has seen better days, but I felt safe and the hotel parking and grounds are well kept and secure. Other bonuses include free USA Today weekdays and free wifi. I booked one room about a month ago and got a great deal on hotels.com. I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Austin-TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

This hotel is right off the interstate, and next to many restaurants and places to eat. For a category 2 hotel it's a pretty good deal since it's just as good as any category 3 Hampton Inn I have stayed at. Everything is very comparable: free parking, free internet, free breakfast. However my room did not have a microW or fridge and they told me they only have 5 rooms in the entire place with a microW and fridge, so if you are staying for a while or with family/kids etc it might not be the best option.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

We went to Memphis to see the usual sites - Zoo, Graceland, Peabody Hotel. We wanted a central location without the inflated price. If you are renting a car, this is the perfect place for you! The hotel is 2 exits away (5 minutes) from the airport. The hotel sits right on the highway making it very easy to get where you are going quickly and has plenty of free parking. We could make it to any of our destinations within 10 minutes. Plus, the hotel offers a free breakfast, free internet, and a really nice lounge. There is also an IHOP right across the street! The staff was SO friendly - even offering to print out directions to a restaurant for me. I will definitely stay here again if I am in Memphis.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

My family and I checked in on Friday Jan 19, 2010. The Front Desk associate was very friendly & warm, she made us feel welcome. every staff member that I encountered was very accomodatining, from Night Desk associate, to the housekeeper to the nice friendly ladies at breakfast.. I would stay here again and again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

I am a Hilton HHonors Gold VIP and Delta Million miler who frequently visits Hampton Inns, Doubletree and Hilton Garden Inns Hotels. This hotel is a typical Hampton Inn, but what sets it apart is the excellent attitude of its staff. Without exception, from the maid service to the senior manager, this hotel is staffed by a genuinely friendly group of people. Although most of my travel to Hampton Inns is business related, I coach a 9 year old baseball team that participated in the 2009 Dizzy Dean World Series in Southaven, Mississippi's (Memphis SMSA) Snowden Grove Baseball Park, which is located about 20 minutes away from this hotel. Our group reserved about 15 rooms, occupied by family members whose ages ranged from ages 1 to 70. We chose this hotel because it was the closest one available. We were unable to reserve rooms closer to Southaven due to heavy bookings of hotels by well over 100 teams participating in Dizzy Dean World Series events in several age groups. Prior to booking the hotel, we checked tripadvisor website and read the mixed reviews including one particularly negative review from another baseball team that had visited this hotel. After booking our reservation, our plan was to stay for a couple of nights until other teams were eliminated from the baseball tournament, and relocate to a more favorable hotel. Immediately upon our arrival and after a couple of nights, we found all negative reviews of this hotel and its neighborhood to be baseless. The hotel was fine, and we never felt insecure in this neighborhood. In fact, one person in our party ran out of gas in the neighborhood on Perkins Avenue about 1 mile south of the hotel. A fine family who was gathered in their front yard immediately came to his assistance and a gentleman took the individual in our party to purchase gas. The man who helped us refused to be compensated for his trouble. Our group chose to stay at the hotel for the entire week-long world series event. Our team, which was well-rested and fed, won the world series in a clean sweep, beating most of our opponents by more than 10 runs. The staff at the hotel seemed genuniely happy for our success, taking team photos and giving the boys "high fives" as they streamed into the hotel after our victory. We were permitted to check out late on our final afternoon with no extra charge. Brandon, the evening manager was "spot on" throughout the week with his recommendations for local eateries. Our favorites were Huey's and the Belmont Grill, both casual restaurants nearby.

When we return to Memphis to play baseball, we will definitely visit our friends at this hotel, and when my business travels require an overnight stay near the Memphis airport, I will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009
miami,fla
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in birmingham and was impressed by the hotel and it fit our budget. Upon arriving we were greeted by a hotel clerk that remarked he had not watched the weather report when I asked him if he have any knowledge of how long it would rain. The room smelled of smoke and when I saw the ckerk at the vending machine I told him so. he changed our room and it was much better after that. the other clerks were knowledgeable, gave trip & tour advice and provided us with mapblast sheets(beale street 10-15 minutes away)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Auburn, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

The hotel is right off the Interstate, but not in the best location. Homeless guys live under the bridge at the Interstate and the area is known for high crime (found out after the fact). Parking lot lacks adequate lighting for the area it is in. The staff was completely unconcerned about the air conditioning not working in the lobby/breakfast area which sweltered at times with the crowd. Hot breakfast consisted of one tex-mex egg dish and the usual continental bagels, etc. SLOW wireless. Sleeper sofa was very short and uncomfortable. Mattress was also uncomfortable.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Memphis-I-240 at Thousand Oaks Hotel? Share your experiences!